What's new

Fall Back! DST: October 29th, 2006 (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL - why am I picturing a squirrel running on a treadmill? :D

But seriously, that reminded me of my family's first microwave. It was in the early-70's and it had a clock in it. Granted, it was an analog clock, but still :laugh:

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
As long as they don't blink 12:00, or just start from there, why bother setting them at all? I don't bother with the clocks on my TV or microwave; I leave 'em blank. There are other clocks around.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's the one on the car radio/CD Player that gets me everytime. The old unit was great. You'd get a ballpoint pen and push a button for "hours" and "minutes." Doesn't get much easier than that.

The new unit (Pioneer) you have to turn off and then push one button while standing on your head for three seconds and pushing a second button which then releases a secret panel which reveals a coded message that tells you to "get out the manual!" to change the time. Needless to say the unit's manual is now in the glove compartment with the car's owner manual! :D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I got out today at six, and it was dark out.:thumbsdown: The sun goes down early enough as it is in the winter; why do we need to give up another hour in exchange for one I'll just sleep through in the morning anyway!?!?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

I think DST is great. It's this 'Falling back' to Standard Time we are on now which sucks. I'd rather we scrapped Standard Time and adopted DST year around. Yeah, it'd be darker in the morning during the Winter, but I'll take that in exchange for more daylight during the evening anytime.

Starting next year we're inching closer to year-around DST. DST starts March 11, 2007 (almost a month earlier than usual) and ends Nov 4, 2007. :D

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Odd. That being the case, 'standard time' might as well be shifted to what DST is now, and instead of instituting an hour forward in summer, institute an hour backwards in winter...

Of course, this comes from someone in a country where standard time is a bit off -- sun rises after 7am, sets around 7.30pm. Makes it really difficult to get up for work on time. In contrast, a friend who recently moved to work in Brunei (same time zone as us but noticeably further east) commented that with the sun rising around 6-ish, he can wake up for work without trouble, although the down-side is the sun sets earlier, indeed while he's still in the office, so he drives home in the dark. Which is my life anyway, I hardly ever get to leave the office before 7... :frowning:

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
They did this back in the mid 70s and I remember going to school in the dark. The parents were not happy and I really don't see that changing.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Why DO some schools have to start so early in the morning? It always really seems tough on the adolescents who are really needing the sleep to grow. And then there are those kids who live far away on the bus line and have to be up before the rooster.

And, because they start early they end earlier....leading to latchkey-type problems.

I've always just wondered since US society has shifted to two-income households why school schedules haven't shifted to coincide more with work schedules (9-to-5)?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I spent the last end o year holidays in Paris. Higher latitudes - the sun didn't rise before like 8AM. And it set at what felt like mid-afternoon. It was bru-tal. I am a night owl, but I like my nights in the evening (the later the better)...

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks