What's new

Fake/plastic etc: Polished Diamond Plate? (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I would assume someone makes a ~{fake polished diamond plate}~ for decrative or something purposes. Light weight and made from plastic or some simalar type composite.
====>
Has anyone seen this stuff, or even know if it's made?
====>
Where do I find it if made, (company or store links would be very helpfull)...!
====>
I'm looking for a 1/8" or so, 4x8' sheet of it. Would imigine it would be sold this way if it can be found/purchased....
I've seen garage storage boxes, benches, etc, that have this look on the outside. A black box or whatever, with (piece panels of polished D-plate attached to the outside front and sides). Gives it a nice tough rugged look.
Never seen these products in person, but would assume it's not real stainless or aluminum diamond plate due to shear weight and cost..
Looked real tho on a garage remodel TV show. I just caught the very end of it when they showed the garage all done with the cabinets, benches, storage, etc. Some company gave them all the stuff they installed on the show.
The crazy :crazy: idea is for a larger garage sub that when finished, would have a simalar look with panels of this on the sides, top, etc. I could do it in the real stuff, (polished aluminum D-pate), but if the fake is made it would/should cost a bunch less I'd assume & be much much eaiser to work with. Also, not have the maintenence the aluminum-DP would have to stay looking/good.
Thanks
Geoff

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I know the look you're looking for and it's a cool idea. I've seen a "garage fridge" at Sears that had a diamond plate front on it. Very cool.

But I don't know if I've ever seen "fake" diamond plate anywhere. The only place I can think of would be hobby type shops that deal in a lot of plastics. At least they may have a lead for you.

Good luck. Keep us posted, I would like to hear more about your project and how it turns out.

Mark gas

Second Unit
Look at APC products they make all kinds of chezzy products including fake diomond plate floor mats.

RobertMc

Agent
In Australia, that type of plastic/fake/whatever diamond plate (tread plate) is widely available in sheets at places like SuerCheap Auto and other auto accessories stores. Would be a good place to start and I'm sure you won't find it hard to locate in the U.S.A.

I too would like to see any finished sub you make with this - sounds like a good concept - good luck.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks guys for the info.

I'll keep looking and check into the places metioned.

Mark

The place you mentioned make those floor matts, but the one style mat I've seen had a real piece of "stainless" D-plate molded into the floor matt. They may make other matts I would assume and could be what your speaking of. I'll check them out further, thanks...

It's a interesting concept I thought would look kinda macho/tuff neat-o for my brothers large garage.

Now locating Fake D-plate and then finalizing the ported design with him will be the deal closer. Have not even discussed this particular idea/design with him as of yet, figured why bother till I know if I can get this stuff. A garage stereo system for wrenching on the rides etc & also the yearly party/s/barbacue/s sub we have discussed, but the finished type look/design, nothing finalized.

Will let ya know what happens if we can get it & of course some pic's when done if & when it all comes together...

Thanks again

Geoff

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
If anyone has it, outwater plastics will. I also recall visiting the ultra-modern, multimillion dollar home of a stock broker and his real-estate mogul wife and they had a huge fireplace facade (about 6' wide by some 30' high) done in exactly what you are looking for. I asked the owner where he got all of the polished metal diamond plate and he said it was plastic. He showed me a catalog from a company called "forms and surfaces" (or something like that) that had all sorts of unique architectural stuff like this.
Good luck.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Well last week friday I belive on some re-model my house show thing, again it's seen, the D-plate/tread look.

The youngest boys room had closet with sliding doors that had the look.

Can't remember the name of the show, it was the one where they had a family that was all Gothic looking. Caught the very end and they mention you can go to a web site that talks about the companies products used on the show.

But I'll be damned if I can remember the shows name or the link they say to go to.:b

Anyone see this show and know what the web link is or show name and network was?

Not doing to well finding what I want and hopefully a place that can order it local for me.

Uggg

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
Go here link
This is the closest I came up with. Though my wieght bench has a plastic diamond plate panel on it so someone must sell the plastic sheets.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks for that link Mark.

Not what I want, but the Sono guys might find it interesting to play with.

Had no idea that this vinal fabric D-pate stuff was made and could look cool on many different things.

The stuff is priced pretty reasonable per yard too..

It's out their as like you mentioned, it's on your weight bench, all over kids toys, and seen it on TV used for allot of decortive purposes. So, it's somewhere and just a matter of time before I or someone else finds it. Also surely more than one company probley makes it.

Again, thanks everyone for the links and ideas/places to check out/look into.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Forms+Surfaces is the company I was talking about. I didn't see diamond plate any more in their catalog, but they have a wide variety of other architectural metals and composites.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks Dave M.,,, I'll check it out.
The other link that you gave me I did find something, but it appeared to be raised squares in polished silver or copper color and not a tread/D-pate design like I want.
They did have a type treaded D-plate "panel", but it was "clear-see threw" and the information on it (and the above mentioned), was so limited you'ed have to call the company. They mention that at the bottom of the page.
All of it looked expensive, but who knows...
Thanks Geoff

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Mark g:

Sorry I forgot to mention that I did check them (APC) out already. Not gona work, at least for my application.

I do appreciate you trying as with all the others. The mats I mentioed I thought I saw were not this brand, my mistake, but do have the real D-plate in it.

It was one of D-Zee's new heavey truck floor mat lines that I saw on the show Trucks/Spike-TV. Their mainly rubber with a chunk of D-plate molded into it.

Thanks

Geoff

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Hey! I was just doing a search and came across this quote in a Sport Truck forum:
you could put the plastic diamond plate on your mdf box! i saw a roll of it in pep boys the other day, comes in a varity of colors and looks like the real thing, easy to cut and glue on!
They were actually talking about covering a truck sub with it! :)
The problem is, I don't believe there are any Pep Boys in Michigan. :frowning:

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks Dave P.

Well at least we know it's made! As to thickness and how good it looks, well that I don't know.

As far as Pep Boys in MI, not sure, but your most likely right, no stores here. At least around my area (15-miles or so) their are none. We have Auto Zone, NAPA, & others with Auto Zone carrying most of the taco type chezzy stuff.

So I'll call around and have them check into it (after I see if I can find some info threw Pep Boys on-line or by land line), on who is the wholesaler or manufacuter of this stuff is for them. This way if they don't carry it, it might be possible to get it ordered threw them, (Auto Zone) or another auto store franchise.

Anyway the hunt is getting closer, just matter of time.

Nice find, appreciate it...

Slinky4801

Auditioning
Real Name
Samantha
You can get a thin aluminum diamond plate for less money that the plastic stuff. Check out www.cutsmetal.net. It cuts easy with tin snips and they sell a molding that matches.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks