What's new

Fairly Basic Audio setup questions. (1 Viewer)

JamesLRR

Auditioning
Real Name
James
So let me very quickly tell you what I currently have.

I am currently living in the top floor of a house of which my landlord lives right below me, so the option of blasting the speakers/sub at any given
time is generally a no go. My living room is about 14'x 15. So I am not looking to spend a lot of money on a speaker setup that I won't get to really take
advantage of for sometime. So really I am looking for a below 400.00 CDN (so like 325USD) set up.

Currently I have have the following.
-42" LG Plasma TV
-PS3 and Xbox 360
-Computer hooked up to tv as both my home server and I stream downloaded TV shows of it to the TV
-Logitech Z-5500

The current speakers are my roomates and he is moving out at the end of the month, and will need to get something as I don't want just the TV speakers.
I wouldn't call myself a HUGE audio person. I want things to sound better than the standard TV speakers but I don't need a huge 2000.00 7.1 setup that
I won't be able to take full advantage of.

I have an older Sony STR-DE595 Receiver which I could use if that would be better than going the Home Theater in a Box route. Or would it make more sense
to use my current receiver and look into stand alone speakers to go with it?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al

Hmmm. Well, if the choices are going with your old receiver or keeping your old receiver, I'd strongly consider using your old receiver.

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with that receiver. Use your money for speakers as you planned.

You'd see a big improvement in going to about $600; but that's double what you have, so I realize that's a lot.

Here's two suggestions. Nothing special about them deal-wise, I just poked around a bit. I happen to like H/K's so:

Amazon.com: Harman Kardon HKTS-18 5.1 Channel Speaker System: Electronics

And he's one for exactly $300:

Amazon.com: Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System: Electronics

I'd get the subwoofer even given the landlord situation. It'll give you a better experience even if you aren't cranking it up.

But if you really don't want to, here's one more choice:

Polk Audio RM75 5-piece Home Theater Speaker System - Black in Home Theater Speaker Kits at JR.com

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Al gave some great suggestions :emoji_thumbsup:

By all means - keep that receiver so you have the money for the speakers. There is nothing wrong with that Sony 5.1 receiver except that it does not have the later HDMI and auto-calibration setup stuff.

In Canada - you have some great companies like Energy and B&W that make well respected speakers and the Energy Take-5 system has been a popular small speaker system for years.

Good luck. But warning: that sub will annoy your landlord no matter what so be cautious.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks