What's new

F.B.I. from WBA (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The thing is the violence is still there in these later episodes but it then always results in a convenient "he lost a lot of blood but he'll make it" explanation. That's what makes these episodes so hard to take because you will see people shot or maimed in a fashion that common sense would dictate should result in death yet it *never* does and that's when it becomes clear you're not toning down the violence (if they were we'd have seen more episodes dealing with non-violent crime in general) but just throwing story credibility out the window for the sake of some edict that "no one dies" even though people were still getting killed on other shows at the time.

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sayers
Jack P said:
The thing is the violence is still there in these later episodes but it then always results in a convenient "he lost a lot of blood but he'll make it" explanation. That's what makes these episodes so hard to take because you will see people shot or maimed in a fashion that common sense would dictate should result in death yet it *never* does and that's when it becomes clear you're not toning down the violence (if they were we'd have seen more episodes dealing with non-violent crime in general) but just throwing story credibility out the window for the sake of some edict that "no one dies" even though people were still getting killed on other shows at the time.
Actually in real life a very small percentage of people with gunshot wounds die from them. Just sayin'. Where television is actually "fake" is when almost everyone drops down dead immediately after being shot once or stabbed with a knife .

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Getting back to Erskine's disappearing daughter. It's interesting that the daughter was viewed as getting in the way of the type of stand-alone stories they wanted to tell.These days every crime show has to have a soap opera element and arcs, lots of arcs. Stories that don't feed the arcs are derided as filler episodes by some fans. TV series are thought of as one long story with some sort of ending for the final episode, where all the surviving characters. (they like killing off popular characters for realism too), are paired off and live happily after or maybe not.I know FELOMY SQUAD was pitched as a twice a week cop/soap opera by FOX. But they dropped the soap element a stuck with a good straight-up cops and robbers show.Can anyone think of any other older crime shows that had a family, arc, or soap element that later disappeared?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Other than the aforementioned McMillan baby, I can't think of a disappearing one in terms of the family member never being mentioned or acknowledged again. "Adam-12" went through a phase in its second season of more regularly showing Jim Reed's wife but even after that stopped the character was still referred to as Reed and Malloy would be shooting the breeze about their off-duty lives while on patrol."Streets Of San Francisco" gave us the formula "The FBI" could have used. Give the lead a daughter who should appear no more than once or twice a season in a stand-alone story that justifies using the character but don't make her a regular.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
This is one series I've never seen but am looking forward to getting. I just love the period!

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I'm sure you'll really love it, the first season especially is as good as a crime drama gets for this period.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
Picked up half of season two. I so HATE half seasons!! Loved it far though! Pretty polished. Plus it's such a wonderful time capsule with the clothes & cars. Really enjoying what I've seen so far. First episode I watched had me hooked pretty quickly!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Beginning this Easter (I've given up purchasing DVDs (Along with Blu-Ray and VHS) for lent), I plan to purchase seasons 7, 8 and 9 of this series in April, and seasons 6 and 1 in May and June, respectively. Technically I'll have a complete series (I bought seasons 1-5 from an "Alternate Source" a few years back (It seemed like this series would NEVER be released, but I was wrong), but by the time of my Birthday (August 19) I'll get these season, and introduce the alternates to Mr. B.F. Hammerr! :rolling-smiley: I look forward of being able to see ALL of the episodes in their entirity! Hopefully they'll have their original commercials included as an "extra", if not one disk I have with its original commercials (and opening) intact will be "Spared". :biggrin:

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
Regulus said:
Beginning this Easter (I've given up purchasing DVDs (Along with Blu-Ray and VHS) for lent), I plan to purchase seasons 7, 8 and 9 of this series in April, and seasons 6 and 1 in May and June, respectively. Technically I'll have a complete series (I bought seasons 1-5 from an "Alternate Source" a few years back (It seemed like this series would NEVER be released, but I was wrong), but by the time of my Birthday (August 19) I'll get these season, and introduce the alternates to Mr. B.F. Hammerr! :rolling-smiley: I look forward of being able to see ALL of the episodes in their entirity! Hopefully they'll have their original commercials included as an "extra", if not one disk I have with its original commercials (and opening) intact will be "Spared". :biggrin:

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
Just the 'Ford' opening for a couple of episodes in early seasons. No episodes with original commercials or 'Brought to you by's', but it would be unrealistic to expect that!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
One episode in S2 I recall has Zimbalist doing a promo at episode's end to mention that the show will be pre-empted the following week for the first TV broadcast of "The Robe".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks