What's new

Extension cords with AV gear? (1 Viewer)

James Buhler

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not extension cords (top quality)should be used with either a large RPTV or a powered sub?

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
It is just one more degrading connection you should avoid, IMO. And other than a Home Depot type 12AWG extension cord ( which you could use it as a speaker cable, as it is said these days ;*), there is no such thing as a "high quality" extension cord. It's just either a wrong room setup with no aforethought to AC outlets and component location, or a room you are stuck with, as they say.

12AWG molded plug type (for $11.95 for 50') is the extent of high quality as far as extension cords go.
Why not make a DIY longer power cord if you only need one AC component to power. I have made up to a 9'DIY power cord (from a very high quality power strip to my HSU sub) using high quality IEC and AC plug termination, with good quality 12AWG copper in between.

It comes down to what you are after. A garden variety extension cord is not a step in the right direction when compared to a long DIY power cord with quality parts. Up to you and what your aim is, and your thoughts on AC delivery. Some believe juice is juice, other come from the other camp.... Your ears and budget dictate here.

Good Luck,

BOK

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There’s no such thing as “degrading” with electricity. It’s all about providing adequate current flow and voltage for a given product. Just make sure any extension cable is the same gauge as the original power cable, or larger and you’ll be fine.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Okay, on further thought there is such a thing as “degradation” with electricity, but it has to do with “dirty” power, which is often caused by such things as industrial motors, compressors, etc. Obviously an extension cord cannot be a cause of power degradation.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
It's all in the connections Wayne.................molded or quality IEC and AC plug ?

Which one would you pick if a few buck separated an extension cord or a well constructed DIY type cord ?

And don't say it doesn't matter :#O

BOK

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'd get the one that's of the appropriate gauge and had a UL listing. The rest, that's personal preference.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Fair enough.

It is so "non cumbersome" to get the materials, spend a few buck, and assemble a quality PC with appropriate materials to get where you want to be with quality AC delivery. UL is a good thing, no doubt, but with DIY, one is working with all ( or mostly, depending upon source ) UL listed components. Assembly of such is a matter of intellegence and the resulting performance. If you are one who is prone to poor workmanship, then buy a molded HD cord and enjoy your sound.

true, 'nuff said................

BOK

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well I still can't make consistently good bread Brian, but when it comes out good, it's a kick-ass sourdough.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I appreciate quality workmanship and materials as well as the next guy, but a molded extension cord has nothing to do with sound quality. Especially when it's going to be plugged into a 50c outlet with spring-loaded connections.

Yi Yin

Grip
Go for it, i don't think you will notice a difference at all. There are plenty other things in a system that matters much more when comes to audio quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks