What's new

Extending Subwoofer cable (1 Viewer)

tbatti

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony Batti
My basement was prewired with a Monster subwoofer cable but they made it too short to reach a receiver. I bought a barrell connector/coupler but now I only need 3 more feet of sub cable. Any thoughts on the best way to keep the best connection and somehow only getting 3-4 feet of wire and not lose quality?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've read where some HTF members make their own subwoofer cables out of standard 75 ohm coax(F) cable by splicing RCA connectors on each end. Doing this, you could add whatever length you need. You might even be able replace the Monster cable by securely taping the end of it to the coax cable and pulling it thru the wall. Use good quality coax cable and RCA connectors and it would be as good as the Monster cable was.

As an alternate, video cable (the yellow one) is the same specification as a sub cable, 75 ohm. Try and find a good 4-6 foot one to add to the Monster cable with the barrel connector.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Subwoofer frequencies are the lowest of the low and only have to carry signals between 10-120 hz which is almost flat. Any cable works.

The only thing I have seen is that subwoofer cables seem to like really tight connections so you might check for this with your barrel connector and a 4 ft audio cable.

If you really want to 'do it right' - you buy a 4 ft Monster cable that matches the one in the walls. Then you cut the RCA plug off of the wall wire and one side of your extension wire. Install a "F" connector (Audio cables are just coaxial cables) on each cut end and use a "F-to-F" barrel connector.

The danger - finding a "F" connector that matches the dimension of the Monster cable. It is not designed to let you do this and knowing Monster - they use odd-sizes so you cannot string their cables together. (They want you to shell out another $200 for a longer cable after all).

So start with a barrel connector and extension RCA cable first. Less risky.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I have connected two sub cables together with barrel female-female connectors and it works fine. You should have no problem with it.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My sub cable goes from the RCA connector LFE output of my receiver to a 1/4" mono phono plug into my EQ. Then from 1/4" mono plug of the output of my EQ to an RCA to F barrell connector. There is 45' of RG-6 coax cable in the walls and attic. Then it goes from an F to RCA barrell connector. Then a single male/dual female RCA Y adapter. Each output of the RCA Y adapter goes to an RCA to 1/4" phono cable and into my pro amp. Using multiple cables and connections doesn't make a difference if you use quality cables and adapters.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks