What's new

Extending Speaker wire (1 Viewer)

ZZJE123

Auditioning
Real Name
Zach
I am upgrading my sound system from 5.1 to 7.1 and in doing this, I will be adding speakers and rearranging then. The additional pair I will be getting will be from a friend; these speakers have wire coming out of them, but no wire input wire" clamps," so to speak. So, to connect to these speakers to my receiver, I would have to use the wire already installed in them. The trouble I run into is that the wires are not long enough for how I want to place them. My question is, can these wires be extended by "twisting," new wire on the existing wire? Is soldering a must, or can I get away with only electrical tape (I have zero soldering skills or know-how)? And would it be okay if the existing wire and the wire I use to extend it are different gauges? Any help will be appreciated!

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Solder is the most secure, and pretty easy to to. Radio Shack will have everything you need for about $25, but you can probably extend the wire by twisting and using wire nuts. Make sure you don;t mix aluminum and copper wire, stick with whatever metal you already have, probably copper.

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
Does anyone use those heat shrink wraps anymore. Pretty sweet invention. You place each end of bare wire into the tube, then light it with a lighter, the heat melted the solder inside fusing the metal. http://www.delcity.net/store/Dual-Wall-Heat-Shrink-Tubing/p_327

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Brainwasher said:
Does anyone use those heat shrink wraps anymore. Pretty sweet invention. You place each end of bare wire into the tube, then light it with a lighter, the heat melted the solder inside fusing the metal. http://www.delcity.net/store/Dual-Wall-Heat-Shrink-Tubing/p_327
I've used those on my boat trailer. They are meant to be water resistant. You have to crimp the wire first, then heat it up.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
When I added on a few feet to my front speaker wires, I just used wire nuts. It's been at least 5 years and no problems. I used the same gauge wire.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
They use wire nuts at your wall socket. They work for anything. But if the wire is going to be on the floor where it might get stepped on or tugged with a vacuum, use the heat-shrink crimpers. Sound wise...won't make any difference.

ZZJE123

Auditioning
Real Name
Zach
Mr645 said:
Solder is the most secure, and pretty easy to to. Radio Shack will have everything you need for about $25, but you can probably extend the wire by twisting and using wire nuts. Make sure you don;t mix aluminum and copper wire, stick with whatever metal you already have, probably copper.
Brainwasher said:
Jim Mcc said:
When I added on a few feet to my front speaker wires, I just used wire nuts. It's been at least 5 years and no problems. I used the same gauge wire.
schan1269 said:
They use wire nuts at your wall socket. They work for anything. But if the wire is going to be on the floor where it might get stepped on or tugged with a vacuum, use the heat-shrink crimpers. Sound wise...won't make any difference.
Thank You, everyone. At this point, I am probably just going to use wire nuts since they will mostly be behind furniture, and won't get damaged. I didn't even know that they had aluminum speaker wire, I just thought that they were all copper. How would I be able to tell the difference? I could always look up my speaker wire online, but I wouldn't be able to do the same in the wire already in the speakers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
He meant the twist nuts, not the wire for your speakers. Buy copper twist nuts. Aluminum speaker wire is like 3 times the cost. Besides it will be obvious. Is the wire you are crimping red or silver?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
ZZJE123 said:
My question is, can these wires be extended by "twisting," new wire on the existing wire? Is soldering a must, or can I get away with only electrical tape (I have zero soldering skills or know-how)?
Here ya go: A Comprehensive Guide to Splicing Speaker Wire
Brainwasher said:
Really bad idea. Doing it like that the wire will easily pull apart. Heat shrink should only be used to protect a legitimate – read secure - splice. Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ZZJE123

Auditioning
Real Name
Zach
Wayne A. Pflughaupt said:
Here ya go: A Comprehensive Guide to Splicing Speaker Wire Really bad idea. Doing it like that the wire will easily pull apart. Heat shrink should only be used to protect a legitimate – read secure - splice. Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thanks! I think that the twist and tape option might be the route I would go because all the wires I use are behind furniture and won't get tugged. I think that I will put packing tape over the electrical tape, maybe, to add strength, but that seems to be the easiest and cheapest.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ZZJE123 said:
Thanks! I think that the twist and tape option might be the route I would go because all the wires I use are behind furniture and won't get tugged. I think that I will put packing tape over the electrical tape, maybe, to add strength, but that seems to be the easiest and cheapest.
At least you aren't exclusively using Scotch tape...yes, I've seen that....:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks