What's new

Blu-ray Review Experiment in Terror Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
This one would be worth it just for the isolated score! Rarely do we get one of Mancini's suspense scores in full. But the film is one of my favorites. This may well be my first Twilight Time buy! Doug

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Douglas R
Not so. I saw it in stereo when I was living for a time in Sheffield, north of England, and here's the advert:
According to contemporary records, the film opened in 70mm, with the initial print (there were two produced) being delivered to the Odeon LS around Dec 2 of 1971. They received both the final blow-up answer print, as well as print 2, which was a stand-by.
The first 35mm magnetic prints, were received from Technicolor on Dec 18, and delivered shortly thereafter. Only 10 35mm magnetic prints were produced, and all were 3-channel magnetic, with standard, i.e. not Fox perforations. There is no indication of stereo. While anything is possible, it is doubtful that only optical perf prints would have been produced for a stereo film, as the tracks had no way of being fully read.
Technicolor produced 36 roadshow prints in optical, a few of which survive. Running time was 188 1/2 minutes, (intermission at the end of reel 5) inclusive of music, which was a 2 1/2 minute entr'acte at the head of reel 6.
RAH

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Just wanted to reiterate Mr Harris's position -- we were informed by Sony when we were preparing this release, that despite rumors to the contrary there was no evidence that Nicholas and Alexandra had ever been shown in stereo, ever, anywhere. Sony has no documentation of stereo tracks ever existing, and all the vaulted 70mm prints in Sony's possession are all resolutely mono. The new Blu-ray does have the intermission and "entr'acte" music, and the new transfer is beyond gorgeous.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Twilight Time
Just wanted to reiterate Mr Harris's position -- we were informed by Sony when we were preparing this release, that despite rumors to the contrary there was no evidence that Nicholas and Alexandra had ever been shown in stereo, ever, anywhere. Sony has no documentation of stereo tracks ever existing, and all the vaulted 70mm prints in Sony's possession are all resolutely mono.
The new Blu-ray does have the intermission and "entr'acte" music, and the new transfer is beyond gorgeous.
As photographed by Freddie Young, it should be magnificent!
Can't wait to see this.
RAH

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Twilight Time said:
Just wanted to reiterate Mr Harris's position -- we were informed by Sony when we were preparing this release, that despite rumors to the contrary there was no evidence that Nicholas and Alexandra had ever been shown in stereo, ever, anywhere. Sony has no documentation of stereo tracks ever existing, and all the vaulted 70mm prints in Sony's possession are all resolutely mono. The new Blu-ray does have the intermission and "entr'acte" music, and the new transfer is beyond gorgeous.
It's too long ago for me to recall whether it sounded stereo or not but in view of what you and RAH say, I accept that the ad "with full stereo sound" must have been incorrect.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Douglas R
It's too long ago for me to recall whether it sounded stereo or not but in view of what you and RAH say, I accept that the ad "with full stereo sound" must have been incorrect.
One might surmise that the theatre knew that a magnetic prints was being delivered. Not a great reach from magnetic to a presumption of stereo.
RAH

TheVid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary Vidmar
I remember when I saw NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA in Kansas City, the theater (Grand Opening of the Valley View Cinema) opened with a reserved seat presentation and it advertised a stereophonic auditorium also. The film was presented monophonically in spite of this. As was my habit back then, I double checked with the manager to make sure the sound was being presented correctly, because many an auditorium equipped for stereo sometimes didn't flip the switch (or whatever it took back then) for correct multi-channel sound. I often remember theaters equipped for Dolby surround using rear channels for left and right channels in some shoebox auditoriums - freaky, but better than mono. In any event, I look forward to an exquisite high-definition presentation of NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA on the new blu-ray! I pre-ordered all the new Twilight Time Titles for February and the 5.1 remix for IN LIKE FLINT makes up for the lack of stereo on NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA. "Your Zowie Face" is one of my all-time favorite movie songs, and gives IN LIKE FLINT the edge over OUR MAN FLINT for me; looking forward to PONY SOLDIER, too. Now if only someone would release a CD of Richard Rodney Bennett's stereophonic soundtrack album of NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA. Would Sony be the rights holder to that recording?

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I saw Nicholas and Alexandra roadshow at New York's CriterionTheatre back in the 'day.' The presentation was in 'Mono'. A huge surprise and disappointment as most roadshow films of that era were in stereo. So all of this about N&A being in mono or stereo doesn't surprise me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks