What's new

Experience with Blue Sky? Proprietary connectors? (1 Viewer)

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I currently have a HSU STF-2. I've been considering upgrading and a friend who is not into HT had his home builder subcontract out a media room installation. The guy set him up with a Blue Sky 6.1 system with 2 12" Blue Sky subs. The Blue Sky system uses powered satellites which I guess are called 'studio monitors.' There is little in the forum on these, but I found this 12 post thread here. Info for Blue Sky is at their website www.abluesky.com.

Anyway, the contractor had some problems getting the dual subs to work properly. My buddy said something about the configuration was causing them to act as an antenna and creating interference. So while at his house and seeing the unused 12" sub on the floor, I asked to borrow it. I got it home and discovered that it doesn't have a coax connection. It looks like it uses proprietary connectors and all the satellites run through the sub, or at least could run through the sub. Not sure if they must run through the sub. Here's a link to the sub description. You may have to page through the pics and blow it up to see.

Am I right about this? Is this system subject to all the criticisms that we see for cheap HTiBs and Bose that if one component goes, you need to repair or replace because it's not compatible with other equipment?

I'm not looking to burst my buddy's bubble. He's not into HT and likes the system. I just want to understand more about it.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
It might be subject to criticism but being in the tv/film industry I have seen Blue Sky studios before and I do know they are expensive. Didn't know they had proprietary connections though. Hmmm...some more research is in order.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi
Those aren't proprietary - they are XLR connections

See the Blue Jeans Cable link on this site and look at the balanced audio section

They are a higher end connection for speakers

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Thanks Paul! That makes a little more sense. One other question. Do you need an XLR receiver or pre-amp to use these? I didn't see an adaptor for coax to XLR. I looked at the Blue Sky 'bass management controller' and it looked like all the inputs were also XLR connectors. How do you get the digital audio from your dvd/tv tuner to the Blue Sky? My buddy's system is in a wall rack that is not easily accessible and I won't be at his place for a while to poke around.

Alan M

Second Unit
There is also A device called an "Art's cleanbox".I use it to adjust from consumer RCA connectors to XLR connectors for my Crown amp.

Price ,about $50 at any pro audio shop. :)

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
Thanks, Alan. I couldn't rememeber the name of that thing for the life of me today when I posted those links to the cables. This device WILL convert unbalanced RCA to balanced XLR (if that's important to you).

ARTcessories CleanBOX

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Interesting that they use XLR connections as alot of the studio monitors I have seen use RCA jacks. The Rolands for my editing system I use have RCA jacks. RCA to XLR or vice versa adapters can sometimes be found at Radio Shack.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks