What's new

Expensive Speaker Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
There is a new line of Paradigm speakers coming out.

The signature series.

According to the those who heard them, they will put to shame any speakers at any price point. Built with a "money no object" state of the art philosophy, I think you should wait for them.

Robert

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Robert: I've heard the signature series, and I own paradigms. I'm a big paradigm fan, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they will put any comparably-priced speaker to shame. They sound great.

But there is a LOT of competition out there at that price point.

Dan Schulze

Stunt Coordinator
Ken,

Might as well get my $.02 in too.

If you had been interested in KEF, I wouldn't overlook Energy's, previously mentioned Monitor's, and as mentioned before B&W's. Paradigm was mentioned too. You may want to consider country of origin. You may find you prefer speakers from one country over another. (ie: Kef, B&W, Monitor are from England, and Energy & Paradigm are Canadian).

Like you need another opinion!!!;)

Dan

Eric Eash

Second Unit
one thing i'd recommend is to check out www.audiogon.com. there are a lot of new and used speakers on there, but most of all, it has a huge variety of speakers at all prices. just don't get bose, you'll make everyone here scream. also, if it's HT you're mainly looking at, you should check out M&K and Alantic Technology as well. if i had that kind of money though, i'd do a search on ebay and pick up the Polk SRT system currently for sale. good luck listening, and keep us updated.

eric

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Khoa

Yes I did audition several Wilson Audio and dynaudio models over the years like the MAXX and X-1 and I stand by my statement.

You have to realise that Paradigm has what is probably the best and most advanced research facility in the industry. They have the knowhow and resources to make the best speakers that money can buy and the signature line will be just that.

Time will tell ;)

Robert

Ken Burkstrum

Stunt Coordinator
im so in love with this setup

Martin Logan

Fronts: Prodigy
Rears: Clarity
Center: Theater i

weirdest Center i've ever seen but it sounds soooooooooo good.

FrantzM

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

Please give a careful listen to Magnepan. A Set-up with 1.6 Up Front, CC-3 in the center and MG 1.2 or MMG in the back plus a serious sub some here would tell you SVS (B-4) anyone?), will be below your budget and with performance in the upper echelon of audio realism. No other speaker brand present you with such a high Performance to cost ration. None...

An interesting alternative woul be to go find on the used market 3 pairs of Genesis V for about 10 K. You may not need a sub for a good while, unless you are a real bass freak. each Genesis V has 4 long throw 8 inch woofers and they do go down under 20 Hz with authority and they play loud with no sense of strain

With any of these speakers systems you will need good amplification with the Genesis V-based system the more expensive (even used) and with better sensitivity (around 90 dB/1W/1m)

Frantz
Port-au-Prince, Haiti

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
Ken,
Very nice set-up. I was in your shoes about 9 months ago. For me it came down to Aerial, Revel, and Martin Logan.

I ended up going with an Aerial set-up, partly due to the sound and partly due to the physical contraints of my room. It was a tough call. At the time Martin Logan had not come out with the fresco yet, and none of the other models would really work well for me for surround use in my room.

Enjoy.

Ken Burkstrum

Stunt Coordinator
!!!

((looks in pocket)) Meridian!!!!

i just heard them today, anybody experience these speakers? thoughts?

i watched The Matrix Reloaded on Meridian DSP8000 around the horn with a DSP5500 center and 2 Velodyne DD-18's........i was in heaven!

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Ken,

I still wouldn't waver too much on the KEF Reference line. I helped the guys at my local HT store set up some KEF 201's, and they do sound amazing. Little more forward and bright than my NHT Evolution setup, but very impressive on 2 ch. audio. The system you are looking at in your original post would be mind boggling to say the least. I have a lot of respect for the KEF Reference line. They just flat out whoop some ass when it comes to audio.

David E

Auditioning
Hi there Ken,

With all the excellent recommendations so far, you'll be hard pressed to fit them all in, but if you do,and have still not made up your mind, and *IF* you can get to a store which demos them, try listening to a full on Aerial Acoustics set up.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
:emoji_thumbsup:

With respect to every brand mentioned, the only setup that came close to them in Home Theatre and Music use were the magnificent ML Prodigy's, and the Definitive Technology demo was also superb - different, but still very pleasing.

The only speaker system I can relate the reproduction of sound from, which could compare to the Aerial Acoustics Model 7B Mains / CC5 Centre / SR3 Surrounds to were a hugely expensive Genesis setup at an AV conference in Newport, CA.

Either way, trust your ears, and whose to say a $2000 setup won't sound as good or better than a $5000 setup, or a $5000 setup sounding as good as a $10k setup?
The worst trap you can fall into is getting into the "Well it costs more so it should be better" mindset. That's a game no-one can win, and inevitably, you end up never being happy with what you have. Go with what pleases you.

Cheers,

David

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'd recommend the Nht, Revel, M&K, Atlantic Tech, Maggies, and B&Ws for starters. Newform Research, VMPS, GR Research, Norh, Linkowitz lab, and Northcreek are web vendors to consider as well. For subs go IB, B4, Everest, RAD, Stryke,or Sahara as well.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Its funny but a coupld of those brands I have never heard of and I sure that our two great high end HT stores in the city probably wouldn't either... which is too bad. I am always looking for new and better stuff but for those of you like me that live in the Portland, OR area there just is not alot of choices on where to go and actually see and demo some of this stuff. I guess someone needs to give me the name of a great high end store where one could spend some quality time and I'll try to schedule an extra day when I am that way on business or vacation.... Anyone?

KevinYee

Stunt Coordinator
Start with the best sounding center channel you can find, and build out from there. That's what I did, and I ended up with the Aerial Acoustics CC5 for the center, LR5's for the front L/R, and LR3's for the sides. If you have the room for a CC5, you won't find another center as good sounding as that one. I compared all of B&W's offerings, and nothing came close.

Martin Logan makes good speakers, and if you like the sound of them, that'd be a good choice too.

Another speaker to take a listen to would be Sounus Faber Cremona Auditors. Great sounding speakers, and IMO, the best looking ones out there. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks