What's new

Expensive Alarm Clocks (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
This month's Men's Health mag says it's better to wake up slowly to something soothing, rather than to spring up from a blaring alarm. Being the health lemming that I am, I started researching what else was out there. The options are actually pretty cool:

Now & Zen - Stylish hippy clocks that wake you up by playing a sinlge chime in slowly decreasing time intervals in a span of 10min

Hammacher Schlemmer - Probably the coolest (also the cheapest!). Uses light, aromas, nature sounds, and finally a buzzer at the end. All happens in 30min.

LED Clock - Wake up to LEDs

Soleil Sunrise - Mimmicks a sunrise.

Guess I'm looking for any suggestions or possible reviews in this matter. I'd hate to buy the Hammacher and find out it's a cheap piece. Thanks.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I already have a soleil alarm clock, it's my bedroom window. When the sun comes up, it lights up my room. :)

I'm a light sleeper who is 90% of the time awake long before my alarm goes off at 5:46am..

Jay

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I love my Sharper Image alarm clock, with CD player, gradual alarm (to radio or clock tower bell), thermometer, talking clock, sound soother, etc.

Although as cool as it is, there was another alarm clock thread where someone posted a link to a similar clock that had auto shutoff on weekends. I like that because I always forget to turn off the alarm and end up waking up too early on Sat.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
My cats normally wake me up by purring and rubbing up against me. I’m not at all sure that they would be satisfied with a 30 minute lag however.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I've been looking for something to help me get awake more naturally.

My problem is I set the clock from when I want to get up, 6 am, so I have to workout, make breakfast and lunch, etc. But many days I snooze it until 8 am, then I have no time to do anything.

I simply cannot make myself get up after the first time my buzzer goes off. It's too abrupt and I feel like my rest is being stolen from me.

I'm not sure the sunlight simulators will help since I am generally still snoozing the clock when it's already light in the bedroom. Maybe I need a gradual sound based alarm.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I just remembered, about 2 years ago, I dated this woman who had one of those sunrise devices. I HATED it! I found that it (obviously) wouldn't wake me right away...when it finally woke me up, it was kind of bright and it felt more like someone opening up the curtains in the room. It was hardly what I'd call a 'gradual' wake up.

The light was annoying and pissed me off because I had to squint. It was no more effective than a buzzer in your ear.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've got a 15 (soon to be 16)-year-old who could sleep until 2pm everyday if allowed.

I'm thinking about getting him an alarm clock to get him into the habit of waking up without parental assistance.

I thought maybe if he had one of those alarms which utilized his iPod it might be something he could get enthusiastic about. (fat chance in all probability :D ).

Anyway, has anyone had any experience with the iPod alarm clock devices? Do they work well?

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Two years ago, grieving after my alarm clock loss, I started this Alarm Clock Thread. Though I still occasionally recall my old friend, I have moved on.

I am pretty happy with my new morning assistant ... shown below.

The best part is that this one has the 5-2-7 feature, which lets you set it for weekdays only and it will stay quiet on the weekend. I also find it's pretty easy to change the time and the digital tuning radio is a MUST!
The above newest version adds nature sounds (all together now .... ahhhhhhh, nature sounds) for a soothing sanctuary effect day or night.

Cant go wrong for $36. Personally, I'd avoid the pricey alarm clocks, save it for your hifi.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

No clue abou the iPod, but here's what works for my 16 year old son who will also sleep till 1pm or 2pm if we let him:

One simple rule:

"Weekly allowances will be available for pay out in halves to all teenagers in this house who come to the kitchen showered and dressed no later than 10 am on Saturday, and 11 am on Sunday. All unclaimed allowances will be deemed unwanted, and forfeited."

Works like a charm. No fuss, no hassle, no problem.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Only thing I do not like about that timex, and the current timex alarm clock we have is the 'dayglo' backlight LCD. I would much rather have the actual numbers be lit, not the background. So if anyone comes across the features of that timex without the backlit LCD, please post!

**edit**

guess this would be the closest thing, not quite as nice looking as the other posted.

http://alarm-clock-shop.stores.yahoo...dualprtu1.html

Might have to give it a try though

E

Eric Kahn

I have a 20 year old digital clock radio (analog tuning on radio) GE brand, beeps for the alarm or turns the radio on, you can set to volume

I also have a furry Cat alarm that usually goes off before the alarm clock, only way to set the snooze feature on that one is to get up and feed her, then she will let me go back to sleep (only do that on my off days)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Had that Timex. Great clock, loved the 2-5-7 feature. I now use a Cambridge Soundworks radio and Sirius, but I miss the features of that little Timex.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.

Unfortunately, that plan interferes with my secrets for having great late night sex. So hitting the snooze bar it is...

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay

Being a mountaineer/hiker, I'm used to the Alpine starts, but it never seems to work that going to bed earlier makes it easier to wake up in the morning.. Like if I knew I had to wake up at 2am to get on the road or whatever, for me to go to bed at say 8pm, would just mean 3 hours of tossing and turning. I normally go to bed around 10:30 so I think my body is conditioned to sleep then and doesn't like being messed with!

Jay

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

If you prefer to be woken up quickly but hate blaring alarms, as I do, I recommend an alarm clock with a separate vibration unit you can place under the pillow or mattress.

My Shake Awake has a strong bass shaker type of low-frequency rumble that immediately wakes me up, but I don't consider it nearly as annoying as alarm sounds or music. I also hate bright light in the morning, therefore the vibrating clock is the only option... although my cat, too, sometimes wakes me up before the alarm!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks