What's new

Exorcist DVD (1 Viewer)

DannyS

Second Unit
Does the Exorcist original collectors edition still include the "fear of god" Documentary and the hidden sound tests at the end of the commentary?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Danny, yes, the special edition does indeed contain the Fear of God documentary and the sound tests, which are quite disturbing to hear I might add.
The re-release 'The Version youve never seen' does not contain these.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And, quite frankly, this is the DVD version of the film to own--i.e., the film as it was originally released. Not a bad transfer either.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Yeah I would also recommend the collectors edition. Good transfer, Great extras, and the scariest horror movie ever. It rules.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Simply a great film and stellar DVD in my opinion. As was mentioned, the 25th Anniversary Edition contains one of the best film documentaries you'll find anywhere called The Fear of God.

Add to this 2 commentaries and a boat load of other extras and you come up with one of my favorite DVD's in my collection.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Jack B, you do realize that although 99.99% of the film is the original theatrical version, William Friedkin did add a small morph to Father Karras' face at the end.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone done a comparison between the Special Edition and TVYNS? From what I've heard, the TVYNS has only slightly better video, but significantly better audio.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I own both versions of the exorcist, here is the differences:
25th aniversary:
SIDE 1 THE MOVIE
-excellent transfer
-excellent DD 5.1 sound
----father Karras' morph is indeed slightly altered and improved to make it less of a jump-cut.
SIDE 2 EXTRAS
-amazing "The fear of God" Documentary
-Freidkin Commentary,
-Blatty commentary, (in non-scene specific interview form)
-Sound Tests - very creepy
-Interviews with Blatty and Freidkin, discussing altering the movie ;)
-Trailers
VERSION YOUVE NEVER SEEN
SINGLE SIDED, DUAL LAYERED
-improved transfer, colors are rendered far more vividly
-AMAZING DD 5.1 EX sound, absolutly stunning
-all NEW Freidkin commentary, rather boring
-trailers
what does it all boil down to? Well, I look at it as though I have a 2 disc special edition. Both are worth owning, especially to fans of the film. I think the new verion is an improvement. None of new scenes jump out at you, making themselves painfully obvious with poorly done CG. Most of new scenes were already intact, and are present in un-altered form, edited back into the film seamlessly. To anyone who's never seen the film, the new scenes and effects will be un-detectable.
I personally dont see why it was marketed as "The Version you've never seen" a simple "Director's Cut" would have sufficed.
The Fear of God documentary, along with all the other extras more than justifies the 25th anniversary's price. For me, the new disc will now be the version I watch. Both discs are excellent.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
25th aniversary:
SIDE 1 THE MOVIE
-excellent transfer
-excellent DD 5.1 sound
----father Karras' morph is indeed slightly altered and improved to make it less of a jump-cut.
SIDE 2 EXTRAS
-amazing "The fear of God" Documentary
-Freidkin Commentary,
-Blatty commentary, (in non-scene specific interview form)
-Sound Tests - very creepy
-Interviews with Blatty and Freidkin, discussing altering the movie
-Trailers
wouldn't it make more sense to put the commentaries on the same side as the film itself? ;)
DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks