What's new

EXODUS BLURAY JAN 18 1012. (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
It would be great to get a Blu-ray that includes the intermission and of course it would the OAR. Not a great film, but certainly a good and entertaing film. The Saul Bass logo is iconic.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It will be great to get a Blu-ray disc that presents this movie in the best possible way. The DVD is a total abomination, perhaps the worst DVD in my collection.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Yes, the DVD is crap. I might import this if there is no news of a U.S. soon after it is released.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I've been familiar with the iconic Ernest Gold theme since day one, but never saw the film. Caught a few minutes of it on TV at some point and had no idea what was going on, so didn't ever get into it, and I know a lot of people don't think it's all that good -- but if the Blu-ray gets really good reviews, I'll go for it.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

I've been familiar with the iconic Ernest Gold theme since day one, but never saw the film. Caught a few minutes of it on TV at some point and had no idea what was going on, so didn't ever get into it, and I know a lot of people don't think it's all that good -- but if the Blu-ray gets really good reviews, I'll go for it.

Exodus is not a great film by any means, but can be entertaining. Sal Mineo and Sally Haworth shine in the film, while Paul Newman is not quite believable in his role. Eve Marie Saint is always interesting to watch. It was a great book, great score, great advertising, great to good cast, but the I think the subject was one many people did not attach to. It was estimated to cost $4 million and took in close to $9 million in the US and over $21 million worldwide. It was filmed in the Super Panivison 70 process with 6-track sound on the 70 prints and 4-track on some 35mm prints. It did make the Roadshow circuit.

I wonder if the French Blu-ray is using any of the 65mm elements?

And I do so concur that the DVD that MGM/UA release years ago was one of the worst in the long history of DVD's. It was not anamorphic and it lacked the intermission and entr'acte music. It also was only in Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround (whatever that is) so Gold's score was not near as vibrant as I am sure the 70 and 35 stereo presentations were. The Laserdisc was much more fuller and I kept that after looking at the DVD.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I too am concerned about the source of this disc given that it was reported many moons ago that the original 65mm negs and tracks had long since disappeared.That was apparently the reason for the state of both the current dvd and cd abominations. Hopefully some proper elements have surfaced somewhere. Somewhat long but It had great photography too.Fingers crossed

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
It has been available on Vudu in HD and looks spectacular! I truly hope its released in the U.S. on DVD Blu Ray1

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Amazon list the aspect ratio as 2:20, so it could be from a 65mm source.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
This has been a favorite of mine since I saw it when first released. We have a family friend who had a small part in it. Every time we watched it, we'd all yell out.......There's Jerry! LOL

alter filmnarr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gerhard
About 2 months ago there was an HD broadcast, available here in Austria via the German ARD. It looked WONDERFUL! Really NOTHING in common with the unbelieveable DVD...:)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I see that this has forced French sub-titles http://www.annees-laser.com/critique/blu-ray/exodus.html From my poor French translation, it doesn't seem to be a brilliant transfer?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
On another site. someone who has just watched the disc mentions the AR is 2:35 imploying 35mm. No intermission slug and intermission music.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
That would be me. :) I've watched part one so far. The forced subtitles are indeed forced and it's annoying. The good news is that it's a gazillion times better than the horrifying DVD. To my eyes it's pretty clear that it's taken from a 35mm source and the aspect ratio is 2.35, which is incorrect. I saw Exodus at the Wilshire Theatre here in LA in 70mm and it was breathtaking, something I've never forgotten. I also saw it several times in 35mm dye transfer and it looked good that way, too, but with nowhere near the clarity of the 70mm. Here we get a transfer that is inconsistent - some scenes have very nice detail, and certainly a humungous amount more than the DVD. The color is occasionally very pleasing and just as occasionally too brown/orange/yellow. The main titles are that weird thing I've seen occasionally where bars are on the side - is that some kind of window boxing? There's a fair amount of white negative dirt but that gets better after the first twenty minutes and most of the image is pretty clean. No intermission card, no intermission music. As far as I know, this film was never shortened for general release, so the no intermission card is just further proof that a 35mm source was used, although how people sat for three hours and twenty-something minutes is anyone's guess. The transfer is stereo - don't know what kind, but I presume four-track. There is something going on in the surrounds but at least it's in stereo. My verdict its simple - it's nice to finally have something resembling Exodus to watch. It's not what we want, but it's miles better than what we've had. I'd be interested to know if this is what's been shown on the HD channels and if anyone could post comparison photos. I know I'm in the minority, but I've always loved this film, from the time I was thirteen to now.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was about 10 or 11 when I first saw Exodus, and it made me cry hysterically. Would you believe I've never watched it since then? After reading the reviews of the DVD, I never bothered to buy it. I may have the laserdisc in a stack of unwatched discs, but it's probably as bad or worse than the DVD. (Seems like I remember a review said it had no color.)

moviepas

Supporting Actor
HD input : Much better than the DVD, but it's not quite that.

● Interactivity: In SD except where indicated. Magnificent documentary, archival and analysis in support, listed on filming in historical events which it is drawn (56 '); interesting portrait of the director, but the layout awkward and frozen (29', and VF mixed VOST) Trailer (HD, VO).

● Film Format: Widescreen 2.35.

● audio versions: VF and VO in 2.0 Stereo DTS HD MA.

● Subtitles: French, imposed on VO.

● Images: (AVC) Very noisy and damaged, the generic fear the worst. But when the show begins, the purity of color and definition takes advantage happily. Still many white spots players and plans where the sharpness and depth of field in serious fluctuations.

● Sound: The beautiful VO, ample and well-spatial, clearly outweighs the rendering of a VF dialogues often outdated.

● Technical Note: 6 / 10

● United States - 1960 - Colors - 199 '- Opening / SPHE - 1 BD - Region B.

● Available for sale on 18/01/2012.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
MattH. said:
I was about 10 or 11 when I first saw Exodus, and it made me cry hysterically. Would you believe I've never watched it since then? After reading the reviews of the DVD, I never bothered to buy it. I may have the laserdisc in a stack of unwatched discs, but it's probably as bad or worse than the DVD. (Seems like I remember a review said it had no color.)
You would certainly be in tears again Matt if you saw the dvd. I'll give this a miss.Too many problems. Hopefully one day we will get a transfer that does the film justice.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I've now finished. I would recommend this to any fan of the film. The transfer gets better as it goes along. The color varies but it's all acceptable. The sharpness is mostly very sharp and pleasing. The sound is spacious - not amazing, but stereo and that's a nice big step up. There's no overt damage, the source material is mostly very clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks