What's new

Executive Decision (WB) Nov 9 2010 DVD Release / Question about remastering (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if the re-release of this film (Nov 9, 2010 release) is the same transfer as the original release back in 1997? I can't find any info on this at Amazon or DVDTalk, among a few sites that I searched for some review info.

Film info:

WB (1996)

Cast:

Kurt Russell

Steven Segal

Halle Berry

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I don't know the answer to your question but I do know that Executive Decision is tentatively scheduled for Blu-ray treatment later this year. In an ideal world, a fresh transfer would be used but I doubt this title is big enough for the studio to consider it for deluxe treatment. This film kicks all kinds of butt and is one of the last great action flicks to come out of the 90's before everything went kinetic, Jason Bourne- style and gimmicky.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Warner Bros. hasn't bothered to upgrade the DVDs of other films released on blu-ray - like Frantic, Presumed Innocent, Spies Like Us, Grumpy Old Men - so I'd guess it's more than likely just a repackaging.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luisito34
I don't know the answer to your question but I do know that Executive Decision is tentatively scheduled for Blu-ray treatment later this year. In an ideal world, a fresh transfer would be used but I doubt this title is big enough for the studio to consider it for deluxe treatment. This film kicks all kinds of butt and is one of the last great action flicks to come out of the 90's before everything went kinetic, Jason Bourne- style and gimmicky.

I agree with you about this movie. It's one of the last films that I collected from the 90's.

Blu-Ray, interesting info. I've not entered the BR mkt yet but this one will make it tempting to take the BR plunge.

Originally Posted by Worth
Warner Bros. hasn't bothered to upgrade the DVDs of other films released on blu-ray - like Frantic, Presumed Innocent, Spies Like Us, Grumpy Old Men - so I'd guess it's more than likely just a repackaging.

I'm guessing the same thing, after looking at the Amazon page. The 2010 release is pkg'ed in the same box artwork as the '97 release.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm not a huge fan of Star Trek but I thought ST: Nemesis was one of the best entries in the series. It was one of those films where you don't have to be a fan of the show to enjoy the film(s). I consider the "golden age of action movies" to be from Die Hard in 1988 to Executive Decision in 1997. Both of those films bookended an era where action movies kicked serious ass and weren't just pyrotechnics and hot babes. (Though it never hurts to have both :)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I was pleasantly surprised to find Blu-ray copies of Executive Decision at Best Buy yesterday while looking for Conan (no luck with that one). I thought this wasn't supposed to surface until October. Anyway, I'm happy to report that the picture quality is excellent. Also, I thought it was a bit odd to see a "Blu-ray Edition" tag on the cover - the first time I've seen this done. I'm sure it doesn't really mean anything other than the obvious.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
JoHud said:
I've heard there was some editing to the latest Blu-ray release. Can anyone confirm this? Edit: Seems to be the case
I read that thread earlier today. I'm also a fan of this movie; loads of fun and the cast is almost letter perfect. But the editing that appears to have been done is a shame. Political correctness gone amuck.........again.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Yet THE SIEGE, arguably more "incorrect," made it to Blu uncut. Silly stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks