What's new

Excuses you will use to get out of Work to see SWII (1 Viewer)

Guy Martin

Second Unit
You fools! Do you realize the damage you are going to do to our already shaky economy? :) :)
Seriously, this article from The UK Guardian quotes a Chicago research firm that has determined that an estimated 2.6million workers will take the day off, costing the US economy $300million:
Star Wars Sick Days will cost $300m

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
Working at a high tech company full of good geeky Star Wars fans, I just sent out an email saying "Let's all catch a matinee on the 16th together" and off we'll go, boss included. Did the same thing 3 years ago.

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
These dollar figures are fun to look at, but are not in the least bit accurate. The vast majority of people who will take time off to see the movie will be using sick or vacation time that they're entitled to anyway, so it would have been used at some point for something else.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Seriously, this article from The UK Guardian quotes a Chicago research firm that has determined that an estimated 2.6million workers will take the day off, costing the US economy $300million
In addition, all the people that are *paying* lots of money associated with the movie (tickets, food, etc) are actually helping the economy.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
you guys can't honestly not understand how people make fun of SE fanatics if they take off work and give up some vacation time to see a movie they could just as easily see later that night without sacrificing any time off-
That's not the point. The geek showing of a new Star Wars movie is one of the greatest movie-going experiences out there. Lightsaber duels in the isles, the costumes, the cheering, the open weeping the first time a lightsaber is ignited or at the opening theme's first blast (BETTER BE AT 11! IF MY EARDRUMS DON'T POP IT'S NOT LOUD ENOUGH!)

Only at the geek showing of ESB:SE can you scream "INCEST!" when Leia kisses Luke on Hoth and have the whole theater fall over laughing

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Lightsaber duels in the isles, the costumes, the cheering, the open weeping the first time a lightsaber is ignited or at the opening theme's first blast
Unfortunately, this is a main reason why I will be putting off seeing this during opening week. I may take a day off next week to watch it though ;) .

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping to see this opening day, midnight, like I did with Episode I with my dad, brother, and some friends.

Back then, my excuse at school to go see Episode I was "Its the new Star Wars movie." Probably use the same one again, unless I want to go to school and brag about it that day.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Ah, CRAP, I just realized -- I am at a gallery opening the night of the 16th. And I have to go, too.

Looks like I'm gonna try to hit a 2am show or something, then, morning of the 16th. I'll be zonked for the gallery, but everyone will be drunk by the time I get there anyways.

I didn't even realize until the guy who's show it is complained that the turnout would be low because he had to compete with Lucas.

Damn, I'm gonna be tired.

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
I walked into the office on Januray 2nd and said, "I'll be taking a vacation day on May 16th, new Star Wars movie."
Everybody's pretty cool at work so they didn't say much.
I'll be heading to Indy in the morning for the celebration so I need to get off of here and go to bed.:)

RichardK

Second Unit
i just decided to take the day off to check it out with my bro and cousins...no questions asked by the boss man. anyone in dallas gonna check it out that day? i saw Ep1 at the 'Largest Screen in Texas' last time out, but the sound wasnt all that great...anyone know if any theaters in the dfw area will be showing it in DLP? up in plano not too far from me a theater there has a couple of screens...cant wait!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Just taking a day of vacation, no questions may be asked.

"Every one goes to the Freak Show,

But nobody laughs when they leave."

--The Residents

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
No Excuses Needed Already SAW IT YESTERDAY!

All I have To say is do anything it takes to get out and see this movie. I was well worth the wait.

Later

SHERM

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
I've been working extra hours so I can take flexi leave without using up my annual leave :) :b Won't be seeing it until May 20th, though.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I asked for it off well in advance, and simply told my boss why. He probably thinks I'm a Star Wars geek, but oh well, I'm going to enjoy seeing it a couple of times that day.

Oops, I guess that really does make me Star Wars geek.

DJ

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
No Excuses Needed Already SAW IT YESTERDAY!
You stink.
:) :)
And I'm jealous.
I got into work this morning and all of a sudden my scalp started to itch. I've switched to Head N Shoulders so I knew something else was funny. As I sat down in my cubicle, I asked out loud "When are Star Wars tickets going on sale?" (I've been trying to stay away from coverage so I can be completely spoiler-free; I've seen none of the trailers and one commercial.) I fired up the Bat-puter and checked out theforce.net ... sure enough, tickets go on sale today. I got tickets around noon for a midnight showing. So my Star Wars needle has gone from 0 to 60 in the last 24 hours.
Oh and since my boss doesn't roll into the office until around 11:30 AM every day, I don't think I'll need an excuse. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks