What's new

Excuses you will use to get out of Work to see SWII (1 Viewer)

Reni D

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering what excuses people have planed to use to get out of work on May 16th. I myself got lucky im off that day.

Joel H

Auditioning
Washing machine jammed up and flooded the basement.

(Now the fact that I don't have a basement - well, my boss doesn't need to know about that!)

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Excuse?
I told my boss I'm taking off the 16th of May. She wanted to know why. I told her I was going to see Star Wars Episode II several times. She gave me the usual "I'm a normal person who thinks you're weird" look mundanes offer up to fans. I responded I receive vacation time every year same as everyone else, and that while some people spend theirs climbing mountains or laying on beaches, I was planning to spend a day of mine in a movie theater with a huge Cherry Coke, some candy, a good friend, and a huge massive smile on my face. I'm off that day, with pay.
I'm planning to feel the same intense pleasure rush as I did at each SE rerelease and at Episode I when the battle anthem roars from the speakers as the words STAR WARS burst on screen and the audience cheers lustily. I'm going to cheer and giggle and feel despair as Mace and Obi Wan battle against the forces of evil to save the galaxy. I want to shake my head in sorrow as Anakin sinks into the Dark Side (One day I'l be the most powerful of all the Jedi), watch with joy as he courts Padme (You're teasing me), and root for Jango Fett (They'll do the job) to put on a good show even though he's a bad guy. I'm going to watch Yoda (the Dark Side clouds everything) and Mace (We're keepers of the peace, not soldiers) show why they're some of the baddest mother-f^@kers in the galaxy, cheer Obi Wan (You want to go home and rethink your life) as he steps into his mastery, and see Anakin (He's holding me back) show the brilliant untamed power and aggression that will lead him to the mask of Vader (Join me, and we can rule the galaxy as Father and Son).
I'm planning to have a huge amount of fun, some of the best fun you can legally buy. It happened this way in 1999 too. I gave the teenagers at the movie theater my money, and they let me go sit in the theater while they played the Episode I print they got from Lucasfilm and Fox. And everything I've read says Episode II is much better (more action, more thrills, less Jar-Jar, more Jedi, more Lightsabers) than Epsiode I. If crack were legal the store that sells it would have a lot less business on May 16th ... who needs drugs when you can see a fresh print of a brand new Star Wars film straight out of ILM's hands?
That's what off-time is for. Why else work if not for the pursuit of happiness? I'm going to be soooooooooo happy.
Less than fourteen days now. Damnit … I'm starting to get really excited now. I've been so calm, but my control is slipping. I just changed my wallpaper at work to a good Episode II composition of the cast. I also feel like going to a toy store to buy some action figures to put on my shelf of knicknacks and sculptures that I like looking at. It's been real hard going to the book store the last too week too; they've got big Episode II displays with the novelization there. The clerk yesterday was trying to talk me into buying the hardcover "just to hang on to until after you see the movie" ... not going there, I must resist the Dark Side.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away ...
Millions of fans will be happy.
:)
16May02

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Who needs excuses?
I work right across the street from the largest movie theater in town. I'll just be taking an "extended" lunch break that day. :D Besides, I doubt anyone would notice I was missing.

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
Well I'm planning on going to the midnight showing, sleeping, going to work, and then seeing AOTC a few more times after work. If my plans don't work out that way, then it's the ol' car wouldn't start routine.
If that doesn't fly, I'll use the Jedi Mind Trick so my boss will allow me a paid day off. We contractors don't get many personal/sick days,

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
None. I'd rather work.
What was the point of that? All Star Wars/Lord of the Rings/X-Men/whateverthehellhaveyou fans know that people who do NOT consider a new installment a special occasion think/will think they're pretty frickin' weird. Do you figure that you're adding anything to the conversation by your mundane interjection? Do you think you've scored some clever points against some fanboys/girls? Do you believe this thread was aimed at YOU??

I never can figure out why some people feel it's their calling in life to rain on other people's parades. It baffles me.

Anyway, I'm not working at the moment so I'll be there in any case.

(You go David Rogers! Good for you!)

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
I will be taking vacation time on the 16th and 17th. My plan is for a midnight show on the 16th with friends, a couple of shows during the day on the 16th with my wife and family, and then a visit to the Brooklyn Museum on the 17th to see the "Star Wars Magic of Myth" exhibit.
As for an excuse? I don't really need one. From all of the Star Wars toys on my desk alone, it's not hard to figure out where I will be. Besides, a few of us from my office did the same thing for Phantom Menace. It was well publicized. Everyone who interacts with me on the job knows I've been planning this for the last 3 years.
By the way, when Return of the Jedi first opened, my parents took me and my sister out of school early so we could see the first showing at the local theater. I guess it's kind of a family tradition. :D

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Vickie-
I understand your point, but relax! Have a beer! Ron is a good guy, I think he was just making a funny. All in good fun here... :)
--Tom

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Ron's quip and a wink hardly deserves that level of vitriol.
What wink would that be? That smiley is in all of his posts and was not part of the message. I hate to pick on him because he does love Moulin Rouge :p) but I just didn't see the point of his post. (Tom, I know he's a good guy)

Again, I just can't figure out why some people feel it's their calling in life to rain on other people's parades. It perplexes me. This thread is obviously meant for Star Wars fans who are getting extremely excited about something they're extremely excited about. "Vitriol" is already coming at fans left and right everywhere they go (not so much in this place, YET, but elsewhere), and it will only get worse. Much, much worse.

Negativity towards Star Wars and Star Wars fans surrounding such a big event in our/their lives just depresses me. Don't people have anything better to do?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
C'mon now Vickie. Didn't mean to offend, or rain on anyones parade. Just trying to inject some humor. You know someone was gonna post something like that.
I'll edit my post above to make it 'not so serious'.
Peace Out~:D

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I am my own boss. So it won't be difficult at all.
Me too! Gonna be a big sign on the door that says "Gone to see Star Wars. Yes, I'm that kind of geek."

My brother lined up for eight hours in 1999 to get me Phantom Menace tickets for my birthday (May 19, the day it opened), so I figure I have to reciprocate this year. Plus, his birthday is May 17th, close enough to the 16th for me.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I think this perfectly sums up the feelings of both sides on this issue.
:b You're absolutely right, of course. I think I brought down the thread with my little tantrum far more than Ron's smart-alecky tidbit.
My most abject and humble apologies to Ron and all. :b :b :b

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I'll be working that day also Ron. But that friday I'm taking off because I'm moving the next day and need to be there to let the cable and gas guy in. So I'll probably go friday afternoon.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I'm trying to think of a reason right now. I will have to check the work calender and see if the prior Sunday is scheduled. If so, I won't be attending opening day...probably not until the following Sunday. If I don't work the Sunday before, I'm going to call up and politely tell them that they can take this job and shove it...until tomorrow at least :)
Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks