What's new

EXCLUSIVE: Twilight Time September/October 2014 Releases (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Kyrsten Brad said:
Brad here. For us:

Audrey Rose (1977): I've read the book but never saw the movie. Was going to put that one into the Favourite 70s thread but no need to now.

La Bamba (1987): Goes nicely with Buddy Holly Story.

The Blob (1988): something tells me this one sells out fast even at 5000 unit print run.

==========
But no Skatetown USA or Thank God It's Friday???

Drat, drat and it's double drat.
Might have to add Centennial Summer (1946) to my list as well.

Still hoping for Skatetown USA (1979) "The Greatest Story Ever Rolled"

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
"Under Fire" and "Salvador" are two of the best films about journalism ever made! Great acting, writing, and Goldsmith's score on "UF" is one of his best. James Woods has never matched his Oscar-nominated performance in "Salvador."

Track down Pauline Kael's review of "Under Fire"...one of her best!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
ROclockCK said:
If you're referring to the golden era '40s and '50s, then no, nothing has recently sold out. TT just seems to be spreading it around across the decades more now, although this Fall announcement is heavily 80s-biased*.

* 6 out of the 10.
The folks at Twilight Time have very eclectic tastes. If all they were concerned about was selling out they would not be releasing titles such as Resurrected, which as far as I can tell was never released in the United States.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Oh I agree Richard, which is basically why I took to this label almost immediately...my similarly "eclectic tastes". I mean, TT's first 4 Blu-rays were an ancient Egypt 'Scope epic, a Jules Verne animated fantasy, a modern cult horror comedy, and a black and white Euro art film...you can't get much more diverse than that!

My comment was only in reference to the expected rate of sellout...as well as a previous poster's perceived shift in product to more recent pop-oriented titles likelier to sell out faster. As you noted though, the same month TT has released The Mechanic and The Train they're also releasing Resurrected, Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison, and The Man From Laramie. So that funky mix of new and old, mainstream and obscure, is still there.

I simply regard it as luck of the draw that 'TT Goes to War' happened to include a higher than usual number of underappreciated 80s films. ;)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
ROclockCK said:
My comment was only in reference to the expected rate of sellout...as well as a previous poster's perceived shift in product to more recent pop-oriented titles likelier to sell out faster. As you noted though, the same month TT has released The Mechanic and The Train they're also releasing Resurrected, Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison, and The Man From Laramie. So that funky mix of new and old, mainstream and obscure, is still there.
My post wasn't intended to be critical of your comment. My intent was to add to what you said, as I agree with you entirely!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'll be getting most of the titles listed-A lot of good stuff there.
Isolated scores are going to be great with these, and I hope Twilight Time continues with the audio commentary on at least a few titles. It is a feature that is sorely missed on most Blu-Ray releases these days.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
"Centennial Summer" is certainly a delightful, unexpected surprise. I may buy 2 copies. Its an adorable film.

centennial_medium.jpg

CentennialSummer.jpg

darnell-wilde-centennial_opt.jpg

crain-makeup-centennial.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, right now of all the announced upcoming releases over the next three or four months, it's the one I'm most looking forward to. My memory of it is so vague as to be absolutely useless, so August can't come soon enough for me.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Robert Crawford said:
Neither did I.
Re: The Blob 1988: Big mystery to me. I was 25 when it came out, very disappointing, typical modern remake that tries to be more graphic than the original. It was a huge flop, bringing in less than $10mil on a budget of almost $20mil. Review were mixed at best, but it played incessantly on HBO etc after its theatrical run. Big shrug from me., just my opinion.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Matt Hough said:
Yes, right now of all the announced upcoming releases over the next three or four months, it's the one I'm most looking forward to. My memory of it is so vague as to be absolutely useless, so August can't come soon enough for me.
We of a certain age have issues with movies we saw a long time ago. Just like Matt, my memory of Centennial Summer is vague, but I do know I saw a Technicolor print of it. I'll just have to sigh over what was lost, and feel like Proust remembering times past while biting into his madeleine.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
John Maher_289910 said:
I was hoping for another 3D from the 50s.
Maybe a November/December release. If not, we still have The Bubble, Dragonfly Squadron and 3D Rarities later this year.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Somebody uploaded "Centennial Summer" on the 'Tube a while ago - from one of its airings on AMC. This title was probably amongst those which had their original colour elements junked by Fox in the 1970's, but I'm expecting great things from TT.

Very disappointing that only a handful of us here on the forum seem to be excited for this title, which I believe has been quite scarce to find on home video up until now.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
This is one of my favourite songs in the film, "Up with the Lark". You can see Fox's nods to "Meet Me in St Louis" in this sequence especially.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
bujaki said:
We of a certain age have issues with movies we saw a long time ago. Just like Matt, my memory of Centennial Summer is vague, but I do know I saw a Technicolor print of it. I'll just have to sigh over what was lost, and feel like Proust remembering times past while biting into his madeleine.
I've often wondered ... was Madeleine Proust's girlfriend?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I noticed some of the score from "Under Fire" in Tarantino's "Django Unchained"
'Nicaragua' from Jerry Goldsmith:

I think Tatrantino's "borrowed soundtracks" are pretty neat :)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
AnthonyClarke said:
I've often wondered ... was Madeleine Proust's girlfriend?
Only Within a Budding Grove, Anthony, and only there.
Way OT by now.
So, yes, any movie with a score by Jerome Kern is worth owning; and one that was shot in sumptuous Technicolor, though the original 3-strip elements are missing, will still allow enough of the original beauty to shine through. And Jeanne Crain and Linda Darnell in color? What else could you wish for?

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
The CHE poster displayed in post #1 is from Steven Soderbergh's modern epic, not the older Fox production that Twilight Time is putting out.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Just heard that Twilight Time is going to have to postpone Centennial Summer due to rights issues. So sad about that. I was really looking forward to it.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Twilight Time regrets to announce that our planned August 12th release of the Jerome Kern classic musical CENTENNIAL SUMMER on blu-ray has been indefinitely postponed. This is due to ongoing and unresolved rights issues that prevent the film from being made available to home video at this time. It is hoped that one day in the not too distant future this situation will be rectified, but in the meantime we will adjust and revise our schedule accordingly. Along with many of you we are disappointed that the wait for this long out-of-print film will continue for that bit longer....

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for reporting your announcement in this thread. I just found it in the July/August Twilight Time thread which had flopped onto the following page of forum posts.

Fingers crossed for a quick resolution of these problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks