What's new

EXCLUSIVE: Twilight Time September/October 2014 Releases (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Robert Crawford said:
Can somebody explain to me the popularity of The Blob (1988)? I watched it during it's theatrical run and it was okay. I think they had the wrong brother playing the male lead.
There's no accounting for taste, Robert. The general population seems to love its cult horror titles. I see they anticipate a quick sellout at 3000 units so they bumped it up to 5000. I hope that everyone who wants a copy will be able to get one, because I certainly won't be wanting one.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ed Lachmann said:
. It may surprise them how well a film like THE VIKINGS might do.
You'd think with the success of The Vikings series and Game of Thrones, this type of period broadsword-slashing piece would be a natural for release. I would've gone for that. Nothing else here excites me. I've seen most of them once, which is fine for me. Salvador and Under Fire strike a similar theme here.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Dick said:
UNDER FIRE! Thanks, people! For anyone who is not familiar with this extraordinary film, I encourage you to research it. Amazing performances by Nick Nolte (at his best), Joanna Cassidy, Gene Hackman and Ed Harris. This is about three journalists in Nicaragua covering the downfall of the Somoza regime circa 1979. It's loaded with tension (political, as the reporters begin learning unpleasant truths and start to take sides, which puts them in grave danger) and emotional (the three main characters are in a love triangle) and has one of the best of Jerry Goldsmith's 1980's scores, which I assume will be isolated. Check it out!
A rave review for Under Fire (3 1/2 stars) from Roger Ebert.

Under Fire Review

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Just little update for soundtrack fans, listing the Composers represented by this batch:

[*]The Killer Elite - Jerry Fielding (a Peckinpah staple post Wild Bunch, already in the collection with Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia)
[*]Salvador - Georges Delerue (a reprise, already in the collection with Rapture and Steel Magnolias)
[*]The Dogs of War - Geoffrey Burgon (new to the collection)
[*]Che! - Lalo Schifrin (new to the collection...finally!)
[*]La Bamba - Miles Goodwin & Carlos Santana (new to the collection)
[*]Audrey Rose - Michael Small (a reprise, already in the collection with The Driver)
[*]The Believers - J. Peter Robinson (new to the collection)
[*]The Blob - Michael Hoenig (new to the collection)
[*]Man Hunt - Alfred Newman* (one of TT's hall-of-fame composers with multiple ISTs in the collection)
[*]Under Fire - Jerry Goldsmith (TT's hero composer, with the most ISTs in the collection)
[/list]
Another tasty mix of composer talent and scores coming up! My ears thank you in advance TT.

* together with David Buttolph (uncredited)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Nick Redman said on his FB page that it's going to be the longer cut of THE DOGS OF WAR.
Dick said:
UNDER FIRE! Thanks, people! For anyone who is not familiar with this extraordinary film, I encourage you to research it. Amazing performances by Nick Nolte (at his best), Joanna Cassidy, Gene Hackman and Ed Harris. This is about three journalists in Nicaragua covering the downfall of the Somoza regime circa 1979. It's loaded with tension (political, as the reporters begin learning unpleasant truths and start to take sides, which puts them in grave danger) and emotional (the three main characters are in a love triangle) and has one of the best of Jerry Goldsmith's 1980's scores, which I assume will be isolated. Check it out!

DOGS OF WAR! One of the best films about mercenaries I've ever seen. Christopher Walken in all of his quirky glory, and a funny supporting role for Colin (Watson in The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes) Blakely. John Irvin directed, but it might as well have been John Milius -- the final third of this film is just as macho as it gets, but really well-staged. Hope TT has the 114-minute (rather than 102m) cut.

There are always at least three titles I purchase from every two-month announcement, and this will be no exception.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
One of the most requested and hugely underrated 20th Century Fox Musical titles finally gets a release.

"CENTENNIAL SUMMER" is an absolute must have in this household.
Jerome Kern plus Alfred Newman = sublime music. (and it's isolated as well) :wub:
I'll be counting down the days.

centennial summer.jpg

Doug.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
YAY--"Centennial Summer!!!!"
I realize they can only get an approximation of the Technicolor--but Linda Darnell and Jeanne Crain will look terrific regardless!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
What's so great about it, this is an honest question?
Shawnee Smith as a cheerleader?

shawnee.jpg

Here are some more reasons it's a GOOD movie:

-Good performances by the cast.
-I liked the characters. If you buy the characters, then you care if they live or die especially in a horror film.
-Misunderstood rebel played by Kevin Dillon(he was better in Platoon though)
-Creepy, and atmospheric, sometimes even scary
-Nostalgia(I used to rent it a lot from the local video store a long time ago)
-good ending

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Mark Mayes said:
YAY--"Centennial Summer!!!!"
I realize they can only get an approximation of the Technicolor--but Linda Darnell and Jeanne Crain will look terrific regardless!
Mark, agreed, but TT wouldn't release it if it doesn't meet their high standards, so the approximation must be fairly good. Much better than releasing through the Fox Archives Collection. Ugh!

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"I had no idea that the remake was that popular."Personally I've such a fond memories of this film. Golden days of 1980's horror etc. And the film is fun.But do I want to spend over 35$ (inc. shipping) to this film on BD, since I already have the DVD? That's another question.Btw. Is "The Believers" the Martin Sheen horror(ish) film? It's great actually. Wow, the ending...

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The Blob and Manhunt are certainties ,maybe a couple of the others .. If I can rent or stream them first just to be sure :)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Going for: Centennial Summer, Man Hunt, Under Fire, The Killer Elite, and The Dogs of War.

Man Hunt is actually a pretty surprising release on one hand, because it has the distinction of being the absolute last film released from Fox's Classic DVD division before it shut its doors and the blu-ray line re-emerged a year or two later. On the other hand considering it was the last there was definitely an HD transfer used (circa 2009/2008) and the upcoming blu-ray will most likely be derived from the same HD video master.

People are mentioning The Vikings a lot, but is there any evidence that MGM has yet made an HD transfer of this film? It's probably another in a very long list of films that just isn't blu-ray ready at the moment.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
JoHud said:
On the other hand considering it was the last there was definitely an HD transfer used (circa 2009/2008) and the upcoming blu-ray will most likely be derived from the same HD video master.
TT have said that it is a brand new master only just finished.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
EddieLarkin said:
TT have said that it is a brand new master only just finished.
Oh, nice! The DVD actually looked quite good. Seems like with the blu-ray, George Sanders will have never looked better.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Under Fire is a great movie, same for Salvador and i really enjoyed The Blob back in the eighties so it'll be nice to re-visit it in HD.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
La Bamba, The Killer Elite, Dogs of War, Under Fire, and Salvador for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks