What's new

EXCLUSIVE: Twilight Time September/October 2014 Releases (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mark Cappelletty said:
Shot a message to Nick Redman on Facebook hoping that he posts preorder dates with the new release announcements. I am not preventing a long-planned trip to the UK and France in Sept. from preventing me from getting THE BLOB (which is pretty great). Very excited about THE KILLER ELITE (and never heard of "Noon Wine" before I Googled it!).
What's so great about it, this is an honest question?

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
ahollis said:
Wait a minute -- NOON WINE as an extra on THE KILLER ELITE! This has been a holy grail for many for years.
Yeah, I wondered when someone would get around to mentioning that Allen. Noon Wine is easily amongst the rarest home video scoops of the year! I don't think it has ever been available (legally) on home video, even VHS.

Although I vaguely remember the original ABC Stage 67 broadcast, we didn't have a colour set in those days, so this might as well be a new movie for me. TT is definitely staking their claim as the Peckinpah completist label. :thumbs-up-smiley:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
I think we were posting at the same basic time so you might have missed my post (though you couldn't be blamed for looking for a better answer than what I gave) but I said that
Personally, I enjoy the movie because I like the effects, I think they took the highlights of the original & updated them fairly well and because I watched it when I was probably 11 or 12 years old so there's nostalgia at play.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. For us:

Audrey Rose (1977): I've read the book but never saw the movie. Was going to put that one into the Favourite 70s thread but no need to now.

La Bamba (1987): Goes nicely with Buddy Holly Story.

The Blob (1988): something tells me this one sells out fast even at 5000 unit print run.

==========
But no Skatetown USA or Thank God It's Friday???

Drat, drat and it's double drat.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
TravisR said:
Horror movie fans HATE everything when it's new but if they still remember a movie after about 20 years, it's magically regarded as a classic. :) Personally, I enjoy the movie because I like the effects, I think they took the highlights of the original & updated them fairly well and because I watched it when I was probably 11 or 12 years old so there's nostalgia at play.
I remember seeing The Blob 88 in the theaters and loving it. It will be fun to revisit on Blu.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Good news regarding The Blob. It seems that TT has listened the fans, which is always a good sign.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Absolutely nothing here that I'd even be remotely interested in. Had hoped for at least one of the the available widescreen 50's-60's adventure or historical films. Guess that only companies like Sidonis in France will be offering those. Still, Sidonis already sold out of the pre-orders for KINGS OF THE SUN which may give the "powers that be" pause. I just love the JANE EYRE that TT released some time ago, but they seem to be abandoning the classic film lovers these days. Too bad since there are so many we're hungry for. It may surprise them how well a film like THE VIKINGS might do.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Jari K said:
Good news regarding The Blob. It seems that TT has listened the fans, which is always a good sign.
I had no idea that the remake was that popular.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
It's clever and fun, a terrific companion to the original, working as an '80's version with fantastic practical effects and a sharp script from Chuck Russell and a post-NIGHMARE ON ELM STREET III, pre-SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION Frank Darabont, both of whom realize how goofy the concept is but treat it seriously. There are a couple of really solid FX action set-pieces that make the most out of the Blob's attacks and it's genuinely creepy in parts. I watched it on cable about a year ago and was surprised how well it held up, save for Kevin Dillon's and Donovan Leitch's mullet haircuts.
Robert Crawford said:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Centennial Summer is a no brainer but that's it.

I may cough up for Noon Wine but I'll never watch the hideous Killer Elite ever again and I hate paying $30 for an "extra" but .....

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Keith Cobby said:
I assume that as TT haven't sold out of a blu-ray title recently they are tuning their releases to those titles and decades which they feel are more popular.
??? Twilight Time has had 3 sellouts in as many weeks Keith...one apiece from the '60s, '70s, and '80s.

If you're referring to the golden era '40s and '50s, then no, nothing has recently sold out. TT just seems to be spreading it around across the decades more now, although this Fall announcement is heavily 80s-biased*.

* 6 out of the 10.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
UNDER FIRE! Thanks, people! For anyone who is not familiar with this extraordinary film, I encourage you to research it. Amazing performances by Nick Nolte (at his best), Joanna Cassidy, Gene Hackman and Ed Harris. This is about three journalists in Nicaragua covering the downfall of the Somoza regime circa 1979. It's loaded with tension (political, as the reporters begin learning unpleasant truths and start to take sides, which puts them in grave danger) and emotional (the three main characters are in a love triangle) and has one of the best of Jerry Goldsmith's 1980's scores, which I assume will be isolated. Check it out!

DOGS OF WAR! One of the best films about mercenaries I've ever seen. Christopher Walken in all of his quirky glory, and a funny supporting role for Colin (Watson in The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes) Blakely. John Irvin directed, but it might as well have been John Milius -- the final third of this film is just as macho as it gets, but really well-staged. Hope TT has the 114-minute (rather than 102m) cut.

There are always at least three titles I purchase from every two-month announcement, and this will be no exception.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Dick said:
DOGS OF WAR! One of the best films about mercenaries I've ever seen. Christopher Walken in all of his quirky glory, and a funny supporting role for Colin (Watson in The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes) Blakely. John Irvin directed, but it might as well have been John Milius -- the final third of this film is just as macho as it gets, but really well-sated. Hope TT has the 114-minute (rather than 102m) cut.
DOGS OF WAR is one of my favourites. I never saw it theatrically but I've watched the DVD numerous times and it could ceratinly do with an HD upgrade. The UK DVD is about 104 minutes (converting PAL difference). i didn't realise before but I now see that the R1 DVD has the longer cut, which doesn't make much sense because the long version was shown theatrically in the UK and the US had the cut version!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks