What's new

EXCLUSIVE: Twilight Time July/August Titles (1 Viewer)

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Thanks so much, Robert -- so glad you enjoyed the commentary, and yes, Burt Lancaster: An American Life is a terrific bio -- very even-handed and doesn't shy away from the more difficult aspects of old Burt's personality...

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Twilight Time regrets to announce that our planned August 12th release of the Jerome Kern classic musical CENTENNIAL SUMMER on blu-ray has been indefinitely postponed. This is due to ongoing and unresolved rights issues that prevent the film from being made available to home video at this time. It is hoped that one day in the not too distant future this situation will be rectified, but in the meantime we will adjust and revise our schedule accordingly. Along with many of you we are disappointed that the wait for this long out-of-print film will continue for that bit longer....

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Twilight Time said:
Twilight Time regrets to announce that our planned August 12th release of the Jerome Kern classic musical CENTENNIAL SUMMER on blu-ray has been indefinitely postponed. This is due to ongoing and unresolved rights issues that prevent the film from being made available to home video at this time. It is hoped that one day in the not too distant future this situation will be rectified, but in the meantime we will adjust and revise our schedule accordingly. Along with many of you we are disappointed that the wait for this long out-of-print film will continue for that bit longer....
That is a major disappointment. I take some consolation from the fact that it's a rights dispute and not substandard elements that have caused this delay.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Actually, this rights issue might be even worse news. "Indefinitely" could easily equal several years or even longer. If it were an issue of substandard elements, this title wouldn't have been announced in the first place as I'm sure TT doesn't announce release dates for their future titles blindly. A restoration (assuming it would have needed it) could have also been done in the forseeable future, while rights negotiations can easily get mired in a stalemate with rights owner that is either unwilling to compromise or is asking a price Fox is unwilling to pay.

The elements on this are obviously in good condition which is good news on the preservationist side, but that doesn't matter (as a consumer) if we can't see it.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Before I pre-order, could our Twilight Time respondent please advise whether the 'Buddy Holly Story' issue is from a new transfer?
If he has seen the totally atrocious transfer I bought a couple of years ago from amazon.co.uk he can understand my anxiety ... it was one of those rare cases where the Blu ray was totally inferior to the old DVD!

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
On a related note, I've just been on Screen Archives' website. They're saying that the following titles are reaching nearly-sold-out thresholds: "Wild At Heart" has fewer than 400 copies in stock, "Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia" & "Rollerball" have fallen below 500 copies in stock...get 'em while they still HAVE 'em!!!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Twilight Time said:
Oh no... I knew this was too good to be true. Guess my homemade DVD-R will have to do for now.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks for the 'Buddy Holly' assurance, Kyrsten ... I'm a definite buyer then.
I hope no-one else in this forum had the misfortune to buy that earlier Region B Blu ray .. it was a real dog of a disc.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
JoHud said:
Any chance Brannigan will be a fast sell-out? The mere fact that it's a later John Wayne film will likely assure it gets above average sales.
I would love to pick this up, but if it's not a big improvement on the current DVD release, it'll be tough to justify the price. That said, if the TT release of "Brannigan" offers a stereo track, I'd bite. The current MGM release has only a mono track, and it sounds very flat.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Jim--BRANNIGAN can't be stereo as it's a mono film, pure and simple. However, it's a very nice, clean transfer and the film looks as good as it can for its vintage. It also has a commentary track with star Judy Geeson, a brief, but fun collection of behind-the scenes moments from her private home movies, and an isolated music track featuring Dominic Frontiere's jazzy, quintessentially 70s score -- and as Robert has already pointed out, it's got John Wayne -- what else does one need?! :)

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Twilight Time said:
Jim--BRANNIGAN can't be stereo as it's a mono film, pure and simple. However, it's a very nice, clean transfer and the film looks as good as it can for its vintage. It also has a commentary track with star Judy Geeson, a brief, but fun collection of behind-the scenes moments from her private home movies, and an isolated music track featuring Dominic Frontiere's jazzy, quintessentially 70s score -- and as Robert has already pointed out, it's got John Wayne -- what else does one need?! :)
Thank you for the info on the upcoming release of Brannigan. I was hoping that although the film was originally released as mono (and as you say, that is what was used at the time), that a faux 5.1 (or even 2.0) stereo could have been remixed from the mono track,separating out sound effects from gun shots, car chases, and such. Of course, leaving the Mono track on as well for the purists. I know that takes a little extra work in the studio, but as you say this is John Wayne, and it would be nice to go all-out on his BD releases. That said, I'm sure I will be pre-ordering this title, as I currently own every John Wayne blu currently available in North America (with the exception of Rio Bravo, which I refuse to buy until a remastered version is released).

Mark VH

Second Unit
For those on the fence about The Train, Twilight Time just posted this to Facebook:
THE TRAIN is now limited to one copy per person. The title is moving very fast and at the current rate of sale might only last another week or two.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mark VH said:
For those on the fence about The Train, Twilight Time just posted this to Facebook:
I'm not surprise since this is a great film that wasn't released on DVD in anamorphic widescreen.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
I knew The Train would sell out fast. Somebody at another forum was skeptical saying "I doubt 3,000 people even remember this film", but it's a great war classic with high replay value. So it's an easy blind buy. The nice transfer and 2 commentaries didn't hurt sales either.

On the fence about Brannigan. I like John Wayne but am not a huge fan, so I'll wait for a few reviews and user's impressions before I buy it. I just got Born Yesterday this time around, but plan on picking up Radio Days as well. Violent Saturday I'm waiting to see how it compares with the UK version but I will buy one or the other.

Definitely picking up Buddy Holly Story when it goes on preorder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks