What's new

EXCLUSIVE: Twilight Time July/August Titles (2 Viewers)

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Does anyone know whats going on with Screen Archives Entertainment? Their website seems to have been frozen for several weeks now ...

Danny Burk

Second Unit
ROclockCK said:
Remember that missing Fox title from the last round of announcements...the one awaiting studio confirmation? Well, it looks like TT just snuck it into their master list without any fanfare...

centennial_medium.jpg

I've never seen Centennial Summer - it seems to have had a spotty history on home video - but the Kern music is appealing. Anyone familiar with this picture?
I saw it a few years ago at the Cinesation film convention in Ohio. It was a 16mm print, but IB Tech and such nice quality that it was sometimes hard to tell that it wasn't 35mm. It has a lot of charm, and seemed to owe more than a little to MEET ME IN ST LOUIS. I prefer the latter, although CENTENNIAL has a nice bonus in being one of Dorothy Gish's very few appearances in a sound film. It's sweet and sentimental; if you like that (which I do), you'll probably like the film. I plan to buy it.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Thanks for revealing it, Danny---this title is one we had long sought to release since we started, but it was bound up with a bunch of legal issues as well as poor elements...however, within the last year it has undergone a terrific restoration, and now is comparable in hi-def quality to LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN, and DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK -- we are very proud to be putting out this long lost gem!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Wonderful, exciting announcement. I saw it about a million years ago on television (once) and never again, so my memory of it is very hazy. But I certainly can't wait to see it again after so long a time.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Twilight Time said:
Thanks for revealing it, Danny---this title is one we had long sought to release since we started, but it was bound up with a bunch of legal issues as well as poor elements...however, within the last year it has undergone a terrific restoration, and now is comparable in hi-def quality to LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN, and DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK -- we are very proud to be putting out this long lost gem!
As I'm a big, big, big fan of both Linda Darnell and Jeanne Crain, I've wanted Centennial Summer for a long time. So I'm delighted and surprised at this announcement. I will definitely buy this disc.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Twilight Time said:
Nice to hear about the restoration! I look forward to picking up the blu and revisiting the film.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I guess, TT, that this means the original Technicolor elements are lost and the restoration has had to be made from best existing parts.
Well, if it's as good as Leave Her to Heaven and Drums Along the Mohawk, then it'll still look really splendid.
Now, how about picking up rights for On Moonlight Bay and By the Light of the Silvery Moon.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
ROclockCK said:
Remember that missing Fox title from the last round of announcements...the one awaiting studio confirmation? Well, it looks like TT just snuck it into their master list without any fanfare...

centennial_medium.jpg

I've never seen Centennial Summer - it seems to have had a spotty history on home video - but the Kern music is appealing. Anyone familiar with this picture?
Now releases like this are the real fruits of Twilight Time efforts over the years. While most other titles would have likely been picked up by some other company down the line, real rarities like this that never got a fair shake on DVD are the sort of releases that go a long way in making me a serious fan of the company. Very splendid news.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
AnthonyClarke said:
I guess, TT, that this means the original Technicolor elements are lost and the restoration has had to be made from best existing parts.
Well, if it's as good as Leave Her to Heaven and Drums Along the Mohawk, then it'll still look really splendid.
Now, how about picking up rights for On Moonlight Bay and By the Light of the Silvery Moon.
Those are Warner Bros. titles, so it isn't going to happen.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Great news re CENTENNIAL SUMMER. At best I thought we'd eventually get an average-looking Fox Archives release. What a bonus to be able to add a TT Blu Ray of this title post-restoration.
Thanks for the good news re APRIL LOVE TT! Could you please also consider a Blu Ray release in CinemaScope of the recently restored version of THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE? No one but vision-impaired people were happy with the Pan-and-Scan FCA release of this musical. I would predict good sales of a remastered Blu Ray edition.This and APRIL LOVE were shown in 35mm in LA in the last 12 months and I am sure HD masters must have been produced when they were restored. Thanks for considering this suggestion....

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Twilight Time said:
APRIL LOVE has undergone a recent much-needed restoration, and it is likely we'll put it back on the schedule for next year.
If you can get Pat Boone and Shirley Jones to do a commentary, it would be fantastic!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
As long as people are asking...

Any chance on the Rita Hayworth / Fred Astaire Columbia films - You Were Never Lovelier and You'll Never Get Rich

D

Deleted member 372755

Hi, what @ "The Adventures of Haji Baba" 1954 that was restored @ 2 or 3 years ago?
Read @ it being restored on Google.
Film Screenings & Events

[*] The Adventures of Hajji Baba1954. USA. Don Weis. 94 min.
[/list]
Introduced by Schawn Belston, Senior Vice President, Library and Technical Services, Fox Filmed Entertainment
Saturday, November 5, 2011, 1:30 p.m.
Theater 2 (The Roy and Niuta Titus Theater 2), T2

http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/film_screenings/13737

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks