What's new

Exclusive to Laserdisc - help compiling a comprehensive list! (1 Viewer)

Jo_C

Second Unit
Here's another addition of mine:

"The Prince Of Tides" (Criterion LD contains supplementary material not on DVD, including Streisand's commentary, outtakes, alternate end title sequence with Streisand's performance of "Places That Belong To You", and several making-of documentaries).

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

Tin Men has been on DVD for at least a year. It's a really good disc.

There are tons of movies that still haven't made it to DVD, too many to count, ranging from the obvious (Star Wars) to the very obscure (Peter Greenaway titles such as The Belly of an Architect and Drowning By Numbers).

Jo_C

Second Unit
Add another one...

"Star Trek: The Motion Picture"--two different LDs...one a pan-and-scan of the 143-minute television version, the other a widescreen of the original 132-minute theatrical version (trims from both versions appear as a separate supplement on the current "director's edition" DVD).

GregK

Screenwriter
"Oklahoma!" The first letterboxed LD from Fox is the only widescreen release of the Cinemascope version, the 2nd LD release and and the DVD release are the Todd-AO version.

"War of the Worlds" The remastered LD offered a stereo surround re-mix, *and* the original mono track, *and* a music and effects track to boot. The DVD offers mono only.

"Ben Hur" on LD offers a Dolby Surround mixdown of the original Academy Award winning multi-channel mix. The DVD has a newly remixed 5.1 track with new effects and processing. The original mix on DVD is MIA.

Jo_C

Second Unit
One of these days the initiator of this thread is gonna have to help me conduct a web page on "Exclusive to LaserDisc". Anyway, here's another one...

"The Wizard Of Oz"--both deluxe editions (MGM's "Ultimate" and Criterion 50th Anniversary) each have different audio commentaries, both of which are not found on the current Warner DVD. I believe John Fricke did the MGM LD, while the late Ronald Haver (God rest his soul) did the Criterion. It has been said that Fricke's commentary is more credible than Haver's, I think Haver's has some unique facts and comments...he makes an interesting back-reference to the group America's "Tinman" which makes reference to "Oz". Also, the Criterion LD has a "wide-screen" trailer from the '50s that's not on the current Warner DVD, plus some additional supplements, audio interviews (including one with Jerry Maren), and publicity materials, although the so-called "Texas Promotional Trailer" is seen in its entirety on the current Warner DVD.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I've updated my list, I'll try to add more as soon as they pop into my head.

Jerome

Second Unit
The Poltergeist CAV Box Set has a featurette (around 7/8 minutes)on the Making of the Movie. It shows all the time Steven Spielberg on the set and at one point, Tobe Hooper.

The featurette was directed by Frank Marshall

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Thanks Mark about the Tin Men info. I didn't realize
that it is available on DVD.

I just thought of another LD exclusive- on the One Flew
Over The Cuckoo's Nest Pioneer special edition, the
documentary is longer than the Warner Brothers special
edition DVD.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Documentaries STREETWISE and HEARTS OF DARKNESS, the foreign films TREE OF THE WOODEN CLOGS, UGETSU, IKIRU, FIRE ON THE PLAINS, 49TH PARALLEL, IN WHICH WE SERVE, ALLEGRO NON TROPPO, tons more.

johnbr

Stunt Coordinator
How Green Was My Valley LD had a True stereo sound mix that made when the movie was made.

Greg Hoffman

Auditioning
Another Great One missing from DVD:

Richard III 1955 Laurence Olivier Version [Criterion Collection; restored, wide screen]

Ian McKellen's 1995 version is fun, but Olivier has Richard nailed!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
"Kiss Me Stupid" - Original US theatrical version. The new DVD has the original scene that was shot included in the film, and the orignal scene is included as an extra.

"Some Like It Hot" Criterion - Commentary track & on deluxe boxset there is home video camera footage from the set.

Not on DVD
Pink Floyd - Pulse
Ninotchka
Short Cuts
Tex Avery Boxset
Ernst Lubitsch Boxset
Art of Tom & Jerry (Vol 1-3)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if this would count, but the Pioneer LD of Platoon had the color correction that was supervised by Oliver Stone.It was on the OOP Image DVD but not on the newer MGM versions.

I believe the documentary on Jaws in cut in 1/2 on the DVD.

Again not sure about this one, but Ill mention it and let u decide......

The Apocalypse Now DVD OAR was framed at about 2.0:1

I got this from DVDfile:

"....However, labeled as being presented in the original 2.35:1 theatrical aspect ratio, I have to admit, checking it out, it looks to still be around 2.0:1. Seeing as that in our recent interview with American Zoetrope it was related to me that it would be in the "original theatrical aspect ratio," this brings up some questions. The film was shot in 35mm in the Technovision process, which has an aspect ratio of 2.35:1. It was shown this way theatrically, but was also blown up to 70mm for some prints, which has an aspect ratio of 2.0:1. So, the question becomes what the "original theatrical aspect ratio" was really intended to be. Previous video releases were 2.0:1, which was approved by Cinematographer Vittorio Storaro and Francis Ford Coppola."

Not on DVD:

Schindlers List (2004)
Ed Wood
Russ Meyer films
Dream Lover

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
I found this thread very useful for giving me info I can use to fill in my LD collection. :)

One little bit of info I can add to the original poster's listing, is that the Holmes documentary on the Criterion Boogie Nights LD is a condensed version of "Exhausted", which I believe is on DVD in its full form. What is exclusive to the LD however, is P.T. Anderson's commentary track on the documentary.

Also, I can add that the Criterion LD of Supercop has the original Cantonese soundtrack and the scenes that were snipped by Dimension, presented here as deleted scenes. None of this is on the Dimension R1 DVD.

VictorJDeP

Grip
Dune Unauthorized Extended Cut Japanese LaserDisc- 2 disc theatrical cut and 2 part Japanese television version which includes numerous deleted scenes and the infamous "prologue."

Hamlet The 4 hour Kenneth Branagh version from CTHV.

Mark Tay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Aliens, Dragons, Monsters & Me - The Fantasy Film Worlds of Ray Harryhausen

Beatles: Concert at Budokan 1966

Futureworld

A Girl In Every Port

The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle

Logan's Run (2 discs, Special Edition) - contains many extras not on the DVD.

The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm

The Unheard Music - documentary about the LA punk band "X".

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Star Wars Episode I - Original Cut
Scream - DTS director's cut
Titanic - DTS on LD only
Flash Gordon (1980) - Trailer on LD only
Star Trek II - Theatrical cut on LD only
Star Trek VI - Theatrical cut on LD only

The Mind's Eye - Computer graphics shorts not on DVD.
The Gate to the Mind's Eye - DTS only on LD.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Actually, the theatrical version of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country has never been issued on laserdisc, just the slightly extended version with the three additional minutes of footage. This longer version has been on all video formats to date (VHS, LD, DVD). I had gotten both the pan-scan and widescreen versions of the LD, and both versions had the longer version. The only time the theatrical version has been shown has been on TV, on NBC and (I believe) the Sci-Fi Channel.

And the theatrical version of Star Trek II was released on DVD back in 2001 with just the theatrical trailer on it. This was prior to the start of the 2-disc SEs in late 2001 with Star Trek: TMP. So both versions of II have been released on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks