What's new

Excessive Popping on brand new Onkyo SR506 (1 Viewer)

mcthings

Agent
Real Name
Matt
I just received an Onkyo 506 from TigerDirect. I hooked it up to my Uverse and PS3 using Toslink, and my AppleTV using just the Red/White analog cables. All video is HDMI, and everything is hooked up to a surge protector.
I'm getting excessive popping from all 5 speakers (no sub installed). I tested all inputs, and the popping comes from all inputs.

What the heck is going on? The Onkyo says nothing about popping in the troubleshooting chapter of the manual.

Thanks,

Matt

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Are we talking about clicking noises from the receiver when changing inputs or codecs (i.e. switching from Cab/Sat to DVD inputs,, or DD to DTS), or is there actual "popping" noises in the speakers while audio is playing? The former is normal, the latter is not.

mcthings

Agent
Real Name
Matt
It is actual popping from the speakers while trying to watch TV. At first, it would pop a little bit while watching TV... but now, it won't even play the TV sound, it's just all popping. The display is flashing between the Pro Logic II abbreviation and the Dolby D abbreviation, and all I hear is cracking. This happens while tryin to watch Uverse, PS3, or AppleTV. Video is fine, but it's constant popping. The popping volume goes up and down with the volume control.

It is not just a pop or snap from switching inputs.

Is the amp in a enclosure, I had a 605 that would get hot and pop, moving the shelf down one peg in the enclosure and adding some silent pc fans eliminated the pops forever... I am not sure this will help now that the popping you have is not playing sounds from the source anymore it may be time to warrantee that beast

mcthings

Agent
Real Name
Matt
It's not in any especially enclosed area, just an Ikea TV stand with an open back. The unit wasn't getting noticeably hot, but I'll check it out on Sunday (i'm out of town for the weekend).

TigerDirect said they could only give me my money back, and not replace the unit. Should I call Onkyo? It is a brand new unit...

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sounds like a bad receiver.

One thing to try is Audssey EQ (the auto setup). If you haven't tried it, give it shot. If you have, try turning it off.

mcthings

Agent
Real Name
Matt
I did do the Audssey EQ... I'll try turning it off, but I think you're right... just a bad receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks