What's new

Evil Dead II - Book of the Dead COMPARISON SHOTS (1 Viewer)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yeah, add me to the list of people who think it looks less sharp. I'll be holding onto my THX version, but I really want to get the Book of the Dead case. I wish they'd just release that for a small fee.

Greg Black

Second Unit
I'm glad other people feel the same way, because I think the new edition looks less sharp than the previous one. And the increased brightness... Yuck! Also, the frame has been moved down in the matting, exposing more of the top of the frame, and cutting off some of the bottom. It's like that on all the comparison shots.

And I agree with Mark, this just smacks of the new Ghostbusters release.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Greg, I saw that too. The framing of the new release compared to the old one looks off, too much visual info is visible at the top and some of the bottom is now matted over.

I got traumatic flashbacks of the mis-framed Back to the Future releases. Now the question becomes, which one is accurate to the theatrical presentation?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I'm telling you guys, break out your THX copy and compare it to the "THX" screencaps on that swedish site, they don't look the same, in fact if anything I would say that the swedish "Before" shots look more like the first Dead By Dawn AB release...very high grain and dirt.

BTW, are they including the open matte version on this release? I assume not as that has been out of practice at AB for some time. Just curious.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
The new version is the way the film is supposed to look. Of all the VHS versions I've watched the film on over the years, they always looked MUCH more like the new transfer in terms of the colors and brightness. The old DVD transfer is noticeably much too dark and pale looking (as is the AB BOTD transfer of the original).

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I've seen this film in a theater at least eight or nine times over the years, starting with it's first release in 87, and it has always had a dark tone about it, the THX disc was the first time I personally recall it looking to my eyes like the theatrical experience. Plus using a VHS as a comparison is not the best comparative test IMO, go with the theatrical or Elite LD presentation if anything.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
rich, you basing what the film should look like going by the previous versions on vhs?

i need better evidence.

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator
I preordered the Two Book LE set due in November. Could have made better examples for the comparison, but I'm sold regardless.

Brett C

Second Unit
Going from those screenshots if accurate, its not the color that puts me off in the new transfer its the level of DVNR thats been applied. It looks stripped of detail compared to the previous transfer.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Proof? ;)

While the film looks brighter, I don't think it's a negative. I'm picking up the set because I love the film and think the packaging is a neat little item, same as I love the Freaks and Geeks yearbook set.

Greg Black

Second Unit

I just did some screen captures of the same frames (or as close to as possible) as the ones that Swedish site did, and they look pretty much exactly the same as their "A" shots. Actually maybe darker even. I used PowerDVD 6, with the "original" color profile (so it was true to what's on the disc) and captured to BMP files.

Maybe you had some filters enabled in your DVD player software that would change the look of the video?

Here are some links to the JPG versions:

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/4338/edii0006aw.jpg
http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/6187/edii0014pq.jpg
http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/7144/edii0020jq.jpg
http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/5384/edii0033jb.jpg

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I have no filter engaged on my dvd player, the sun picture in particular is the one I am referring to, I can't host them but I did a screen cap of that particular shot and compared it to the swedish cap and found it to be very different in texture and color.....but maybe jpeg artifacting is having an effect nonetheless because it even looks different than yours, deeper color, much smoother (i.e. less grain), better detail.

It soaks into a paper towel better than a bowling ball does.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
By the by, when talking about colors, it's "palette", not "pallet", which is a portable platform for handling, storing, or moving materials and packages. This is not a slam, just a friendly helping hand from an obsessive spelling nerd. :)

Sebastien S

Second Unit
Ok, so my question at this point is...

Now that they have released the first two movies in this series in this "book" format, will they ever rerelease the third movie (Army of Darkness) in a similar format as well?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Anchor Bay doesn't have the rights to "Army of Darkness" anymore. I guess it's not altogether impossible that the current rightsholder (it's either Universal or MGM in this case) might do one, though, although Tom Sullivan wasn't involved with "Army of Darkness".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks