1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Everyday RIP-OFFS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Dick

Dick Well-Known Member

Rick
    I'm not even tlaking about the utility, phone and cable companies, which we all know are taking us for a big ride. I mean outfits such as SUBWAY, charging nearly five bucks for a piece of bread, and fifty cents worth of tuna and cheese. If you collect the stamps, they STILL require a purchase of a large drink (a nickel's worth of syrup for a buck and a half) in order to redeem them! Then they pay their workers poverty wages to push this on the trusting public. Yes, I can (and do) choose not to eat there. Still...it's sad when you nearly have to take out a mortgage to buy a friggin' sandwich. Or Starbucks...What are your candidates for the biggest rip-offs companies get away with?

2. SteveA

SteveA Well-Known Member

I ate at Subway for lunch today. Their prices are much more reasonable than other sub places. I don't think $5 is too much to pay for a big, fat 12-inch Club Sub.

3. Cam S

Cam S Well-Known Member

Yup, that's the way it goes nowadays, sucks doesn't it. Whenever I go to a place where you choose what you want on it (like subway), I always put lotsa of stuff in it like lettuce, tomatoes, and the sauces, makes it seem a little better of a deal. Quizno's is very expensive too, even more so than Subway.

4. SteveA

SteveA Well-Known Member

I agree about Arby's. They are WAY overpriced, but hey, if people want to pay $8 for a cold sandwhich and some stale fries - more power to Arby's.

5. Andy_S

Andy_S Well-Known Member

Welcome to Capitalism. The price doesn't reflect the cost of materials, it reflects what the market is willing to pay. And the pay given to employees works in the other direction. How low can they pay someone without making them quit?

6. Cam S

Cam S Well-Known Member

Tony, I hear ya man! I like flowers and all, but why the hell do they have to charge so bloddy much for them, shit. I think the gift of flowers would be much better if I picked them myself, makes it a little more personal, and I still have cash leftover to buy some dvd's [​IMG]

7. Andy_S

Andy_S Well-Known Member

Someone should make a DVD video of roses in a vase. You give it to your significant other and they can watch them slowly die over a 3 hour period. Every holiday/birthday/whatever you pop in the movie and say "Here you go! Enjoy!". It would have to be anamorphic widescreen too.

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Well-Known Member

Here in Philadelphia, we know not these false gods Subway and Quiznos
    We eat real hoagies [​IMG]

9. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Like some people have said already, Subway is actually pretty cheap compared to some other sandwich places.

It really hit home to me how ripped off we are on almost everything we buy when I saw a thing on Entertainment Tonight about some guy who has a line of hair care products out (sold everywhere, pretty much). He had a 20,000 sqf home in the hills of LA, full of expensive crap (a statue of himself and his wife, for example). Why? Because we're all paying too much for his stuff.

Same thing with Hollywood movies. There are now more product placements in movies than ever, and more and more commercials before the movie starts. Add to this that movies nowadays make a LOT of money off of rental fees. Yet, ticket prices are going up!

It used to be that production wasn't easily adjusted, and the seller had to adjust his price to what the market was willing to pay. Today, the seller can control the production in such detail that it is no longer necessary to pay as much attention to the buyer as it used to be. "Oh, this product isn't selling very well? Just make fewer and raise the price".
    Add to that the fact that more and more companies are having virtual monopolies in their markets, and we're really in for rip-offs.

It is my firm belief that almost everything these days is on a seller's market. "You can't pay? Well, someone else can, and I can make as many or few of these as I want, so I can set the price".

And of course, the biggest ripoff is prescription drugs. Any product that is cheaper when imported from another country, even though it's manufactured here, has to be considered a ripoff.

/Mike

10. Mike Hutman

Mike Hutman Well-Known Member

That's the way I feel about Pizza. I live in Ohio, but I was born and raised in New Jersey. Not to many understand how great the food is over on the East Coast. Man I miss the food.

11. RobertR

RobertR Well-Known Member

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Well-Known Member

Good lunchmeat like we get here in this area is very expensive. The cost of the materials for a REAL hoagie is about $3 of the $5-6 price. Then count labor, overhead, utilities equipment and you understand why the price is so high.
    Mike, if you've got some cash, http://www.phillyfoods.com

13. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Well-Known Member

I work in San Francisco, and the McDonalds across the street from my workplace charges more than $5.00 for most of its "value meals". But I can walk several blocks more and pick up a Subway sandwich for less than $4.00.

Regarding being ripped off by the utilities, I work for the California Public Utilities Commission and totally agree. It's all about politics.

14. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Well-Known Member

I think the ultimate rip-off is the dollar or more a restaurant charges for a glass of soda. Our local diner for example charges $1.50 for a 12 ounce glass of soda, filled with ice, of course.

Having a friend who delivers fountain soda to restuarants, I can truthfully say that glass of soda costs the restaurant a big whopping 7 cents...or a dime without the ice.

15. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Well-Known Member

yeah a friend of mine is a bar manager and he told me that a glass of coke which they sell for a dollar, costs them 7 cents. (kiwi money, but the same principle)

16. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Well-Known Member

The biggest ripoffs:

1. Starbucks or any other "high-end" coffee shop
    2. Bottled water - anything over $0.99 for 20 oz
    3. Food at sporting events/concerts
    4. Movie concessions - "no really, I don't want to buy stock in the company, I just want a box of Milk Duds"
    5. Insurance

17. John Stone

John Stone Well-Known Member

Diamonds. "Wow, nice $10,000 polished rock. Wait, is it real? I can't tell."

18. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Well-Known Member

19. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Well-Known Member

I just want to throw in a bit of info on movie tickets and such:

20. LewB

LewB Well-Known Member

My biggest complaint is with stuff at the supermarket!
    Try finding a pound can of coffee, they are all less than a pound now but the prices have not gone down. Same thing for snack foods, paper goods, etc. Instead of raising prices, the manufacturers take product out of the container and keep the cost the same. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    They figure that we are too stupid to realize that we are getting less for our money !