What's new

Everwood Season 3 ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Beau

Supporting Actor
Bring back Irv!:frowning:

The new season isn't bad, just feels very crowded in it's story lines. And it just doesn't feel the same overall. I still like it though. And about the new opening, I think it's a bit too big a change. I liked how they changed the opening from season 1 to 2, but this is just completely different. Though it's nice Rose is in the opening now.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Amy looks to have visited a special doctor in Denver over the summer, and the tight shirts are showing it.

Still miss the Irv narration.

I like that Andy and Harold are working together, and it looks by next week's preview that Edna is back in character.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
9/27/04

Amy's insecurities get the better of her once again after her school friends convince her that Hannah has puppy love eyes for Ephram. This has Amy bound and determined to find Hannah a guy to keep her off of Ephram. After exhausting all the candidates from the high school, Amy settles on Bright, and, of course, the double date doesn't end all that peachy keen. Amy later apologizes to Hannah for setting her up with Bright, and comes clean with her insecurities to explain why she did what she did. Hannah accepts Amy's explanation/apology and they bond after Hannah makes it clear that Ephram isn't her type, but Bright is (saying "I'm surprisingly shallow.")

After Harold chucks Edna's files out and introduces PCs with database software, Edna decides to confront Andy with these changes, but Andy shortchanges Edna in light of some crisis with a new patient's family. Edna has enough of the madness and quits, and ends up working across the street at Doggie Harvey's office. Andy apologizes to Edna, she accepts, but she doesn't go back to work with Andy, citing her pompous son as the primary reason. Edna recognizes the hurt she put on Harold as a child when she left him and his sister for her career in the army, and Harold has created a world where his mother doesn't quite exist in the role that she should have in his life.

Andy is confronted with a new patient, a boy, with a bum shoulder. His mother is a single mother (Elizabeth Mitchell), and the injury is explained away by wrecking on his bike. Later, X-Rays reveal old fractures on the boy's shoulder/arm, and Andy is concerned about the mother beating her kid. Andy makes a visit, and finds out later that there's a second brother who is autistic and violent at times. The boy gets beat up by his autistic brother again, and the mother is confronted with a choice to send the autistic brother away for the sake of her battered son, else family services would do it for her if the battering continued. Of course, in the vein of "Sophie's Choice" the mother decides to send away her battered son, and she keeps the autistic son for the time being.

The writers play with the audience at the end when Amy and Ephram are lying on the couch, and Amy tells him that she loves him. Ephram's pregnant pause would lead you to think he's a little shaken by her sincerity, but he echoes her words, and it's all good for them at that moment. Is Ephram in over his head? The pause could indicate that he thinks so, but scrambled to give Amy what she wanted to hear.

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
I am hooked on this show. I enjoy the adult storylines to go along with the high school drama. No mention of Madison this week though.

StephenT

Stunt Coordinator
The previews for next week looked very funny.

At first I didn't like the new girl. I thought they were going overboard in her antisocial shyness. However, by the end I liked her. It's good they are making her a friend for Amy and not creating a stupid soap opera love triangle.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
3 episodes into the season and I still don't feel that this is the Everwood I first enjoyed 2 years ago.

I feel that Andy and Harold are to chummy. I realize that they are now working together, but Andy has never seemed to be able to hold his feelings in about Harold. The answer to new doc about the hike was Andy in his old form, but it seems he should be directing some of that anger towards Harold since Harold is the reason Edna left. Andy was able to be sincerely angry and Harold may have spouted off initially but he later learned. I don't see the adults learning anything at this point, other than to be deceptive with the people you work with.

Was somewhat suprised to see how the autistic storyline played out.

Really glad Amy has a confidant now that Colin's sister is gone.

Still watching.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

I always got the impression that Andy was desperate, and tried to hard, to be Harold's friend. With Harold's character plaing out to be the type of person who just hates change, probably caused by his mother's sojourn into the army when he was six, his acceptance of Andy now makes perfect sense since Andy is a constant.

I loved the way Edna left Andy, and it finally felt like the Edna we all know and love; she at first look seems crazy, but there's a quiet wisdom to her choices.

Still missing Irv's narration...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What's funny for me is that this was the first episode this season that did feel like "Everwood" for me. The pacing was much more in tune with what we've come to expect. Edna was utilized as an actual character. The MEOW was more than just a cameo and wasn't used in the ham-fisted parallelism of last week.

Two moments stood out in particular for me. The betrayed look on Andy's face and the shame on Edna's when Dr. Jake mentioned the manner in which Edna applied. That, and the conversation between Andy and Harold at the end. About how complicated the world had become. Being a first-semester freshman at college, the world seems more complicated than I can bear at times. When Harold asked Andy if the MEOW had worked itself out, and Andy just says "Nope." That really struck a chord with me.

There are also some really cool promo pics out. I'll post them later this evening.

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
Shows always make me laugh when they try to portray these "ugly ducklings" like Hannah. It is so obvious that she is attractive and her glasses can't even be considered nerdy or out of style. Jennifer Garner wears those on Alias all the time.

Beau

Supporting Actor
This weeks episode was pretty good IMO. Been getting better with these last couple eps. Though there's still something about this season so far that feels a lot different than the first two. Still want the Irv narration back(I'm not going to stop complaining about this anytime soon). Where the hell are Irv and Edna anywyas? Two episodes now without mention of Madison. I hope they make it a surprise whenever they do and not spoil it in the previews(I guess I could just not watch the previews if I want to). Wonder if they'll save it for right before the end of the year hiatus or even save it to the end of the season.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Some storylines hit home a little too close, the one with the lady with pancreatic cancer was one of them. It really can just go through a person in a short amount of time, I saw it with my own eyes this summer with a close friend of mine. And then to see Ernie Hudson's character put off his own medical needs to be there for his sick wife made for a teary-eyed moment for me. That was a well-done scene.

The scenes between Amy and Ephram were solid. Amy and Hannah need some more time before Hannah will reveal herself to Amy.

Delia finding the "foot massager" made for some uncomfortable moments between the parents (Andy, Nina and Britney's mom), thankfully both Andy and Nina had their sit-down with Delia at the end.

Harold is doing his best to push Bright out of the nest, and Bright's finally gotten pissed off enough to try out his wings with no net below him.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ernie Hudson definitely made the most of his MEOW character. I also thought the closing scene with Nina helping Andy give Delia the "Birds and the Bees" talk was nice. Having Delia know about sex but not the difference between "having sex" and "making love" gave the character much more credit than usual, and the exchange seemed age appropriate. The whole "what do you hide under your bed?" "Extra sweets" exchange made me positively cringe. A little to cloying for me.

It was nice to see Ephram as the passive character for once after the first two episodes being All About Ephram. It was also nice to see both the smile Hannah gave Ephram when she declared that she could write and the manner in which she gave them her paper at the end.

Evan M

Second Unit
The little smile with the title "Boy loves Girl" (Note the order), was great.

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode. I too teared up with the "After She's gone, I'll worry about myself" scene... So touching and very well done.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
10/11/04

I liked Andy's storyline. Hated Hal's storyline. You have to wonder what Nina will do with her epiphany in her love life. Ephram breaking up with Bright was at least pretty civil, as far as breakups go, I suppose.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is the first episode that approached that Everwood feeling; it actually paused to breathe. Last week's episode was a step in the right direction, and this week was another step forward.

I liked all of the storylines. Harold's tongue depressers were a little over-the-top, but after his spontaneous Bagel Shop it's not a huge stretch.

I didn't know how Anne Heche would work on Everwood, but her MEOW was actually one of the best they've had. She knew just how to play the character, too. So many MEOWs end up all weepy and shit. That she was a very solidly put together woman who took Andy's explosions in good humor says both a lot about her character and serves to really show how long she's been living like that, that it no longer gets to her.

Amy's discovery of the panties and Ephram's explanation ("I gave Bright a key.") and the way all suspicion was gone was pitch perfect hilarious. Amy also made a decent point.

They avoided the obvious when Bright and Ephram exploded at each other; after Bright said, "... or else you'll end up like me, right?" I expect him to storm off and leave Ephram standing there feeling regretful. His, "Yeah, that's right! I certainly don't want that." was honest in a really Ephram-y way.

Having Hannah and Delia helping Nina was a nice way to integrate two main characters who don't have their own subplot. It was also nice how the conversation operated on two levels: one that Delia didn't understand, one that Delia did understand (and it was fascinating how often the line blurred).

Stephanie Niznik continues to impress as Nina. Her ephiphany scene was spot-on. Like Merrilyn Gann, she continues to make the best of whatever scraps are thrown her way.

Andy, as usual, is clueless to the entirety of the emotional undercurrents. The end shot of them working at the table was nice, but the end scene was notable in that Andy mentioned having to take the babysitter on again. I'd wondered what happened to her, and why one was needed at all after they made it through the first season without one. I guess whenever Andy takes on one of these pet projects, the daily chores fall on the backburner.

Bright's feelings of inferiority, while reasonable, still seemed like a stretch from his particular character. I'd hoped they'd have gone the more subtle angle when he was having parties with co-workers and bedding college chicks. It seems natural that they dynamic would change because his life is in such a different place. Making wounded pride the primary obstacle seemed a little artificial.

It was interesting to see that Andy treats Louise just as badly as Harold does. Considering how he treated Edna, I wouldn't have expected it. But then, that was probably more due to Edna than Andy.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
I'm getting really tired of the cringe-worthy, over the top, entirely unrealistic foot-into-mouth insertions that Andy is doing this year. He used to be clueless and endearing, but now it's very hard to believe. Nobody with good intentions would rant that way in public about how someone raises children, whether the husband was in a wheel chair or not. All the insensitive comments towards Nina are getting old too. I am really having a hard time hooking on this year.

Chris

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Andy's led a rather sheltered life when it comes to rearing children, so seeing his Delia hooking up just sent him over the edge. I didn't have much problems with the setup, and you knew he was going to regret his yakking to balance things out and teach him a lesson.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks