What's new

Ever stumble into movie history? (1 Viewer)

Brad M

Second Unit
I was on vacation in Colorado a couple of weeks ago. As we drove down main street in Antonito, CO, I was looking down side streets when I spotted a house that jumped out at me. I turned around, stopped, got out of the truck and got to looking at the house. It sure was familiar.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...CO-05-26-0.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...oCO-05-2-1.jpg

I then remembered that Speilberg had used the steam train in this town to film the beginning of Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade. Lightbulb flash! Was this Indiana Jones home? I snapped a few pictures and was back on the road. When I got home I did a comparison.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s..comparison.jpg

Pretty cool. I also took a picture pointing toward the town. This building can be seen where young Indy runs into his home:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...dianaJon-1.jpg

Have you ever stumbled into anything like this?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Not exactly the same thing, but when I visited San Fran (for the first time), I had a real Deja Vu experience. While driving around, I had a feeling like I knew where I was. Come to find out, it had been from playing the video game "Driver" for so many months prior to my visit.

The same thing happened to me in Tampa Bay. The street layouts were so detailed. While driving in these places for the first time, I kind of knew where I was because of the video game. LOL

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
We were visiting Hawaii, Oahu to be precise in July of 2004. On a whim, we decided to drive up the north shore as far as the road went. Came around a bend in the road and saw the wreckage of an aircraft fuselage on the beach. We were alarmed for about half a second until we saw all of the trailers, cranes, lights, and the like. We slowed and asked some anonymous guy walking along the road what this was. He told us that it was the main set for a new ABC TV show called “Lost”.

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
I remember going to the EATON's centre in Toronto for the first time in 1989 and was surprised to discover that the one of its entrances was where the beginning of Short Circuit 2 was filmed. Later that day, walking down Yonge street, I also saw the World's Biggest Bookstore that Johnny Five went to later on in the film. (It was located about a block down on a street just off Yonge).

I know it's pretty dubious but I thought it was pretty neat when I was 14!

Alex-C

Screenwriter
no. but a good friend of mine purchased a house prominently featured in 2 Steve Martin films (one and the sequel) so when I visit, its like I am "on the set" haha.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
does it count that i grew up in the neighborhood were Rocky was filmed.
and walked past that area (his house, the gym and the pet shop)many times during my yoot?(what's a yoot?)

ironically that neighborhod wasnt as bad as it was made out to be then.
now fuggedabowdit.

dont go in there without fear for your life.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It's hard to walk around New York City, especially Manhattan, without constantly running into locations used in movies or TV. (These days, it's almost impossible to walk around without running into a film crew.)

Last year, though, I happened to be walking through a section of Brooklyn now known as "Dumbo" (for "down under Manhattan Bridge overpass"), and I suddenly found myself facing an elaborate brick wall that was unmistakably the background for the scene in Once Upon a Time in America where the gang gathers to say goodbye to the young Noodles as he's carted off to prison for stabbing a cop. It's a striking shot in the film because of the way Leone framed the youngsters against the vast expanse of brick, and the wall is almost as dramatic in real life.

M.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The house just over the hill from my Albany-area home was used in "Ironweed". One night I got lost headed South and ended up at the bottom of the hill in Athens, NY where all those people ran for the ferry in "War of the Worlds".

StephenA

Screenwriter
My dad used to take me to a gliderport in my town to go up flying in gliders when I was little. It wasn't until I was older that I found out the place was used in the original Thomas Crown Affair.

Edit: I forgot to mention when I responded to this thread that they turned the gliderport into a golf course at least 10 or 12 years ago. I miss seeing all the gliders flying around, and always knew when I could see one because i could hear the pop of the line from the towplane releasing from the glider.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
The movie "Baby Boom" was filmed in the town I grew up in Vermont. I was in college at the time but my Mom, Dad, and younger sister are all in it as extras.

Laters,
Jeff

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
We live about 20 minutes from the still busy and popular Admiral Twin Drive which was used in the Coppola movie "The Outsiders"

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I live outside of Philadelphia and when I'm in the city, I recognize a number of things from the Brain De Palma movie Blow Out. I recently took a rare (for me) trip via train and when I got off at 30th Street Station, I had a semi-deja vu moment since that train station is featured pretty heavily in one section of the movie. Granted, after more than 25 years some stuff is very different but some stuff is exactly the same.

And I'm an extra in Jersey Girl (the Kevin Smith one) in a scene shot in the Hard Rock Cafe in Philadelphia. I didn't stumble into that though. :)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Errrrm, every day at work? The reception area and conference room of our office has been used a number of times in local TV productions where they needed an office. Then again, I didn't follow the shows in question so I'm not sure that strictly counts in my case...

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've had a literary experience of this type that was truly creepy. There's a book by P.D. James called 'An Unsuitable Job For A Woman' [don't know how popular the crime writer PD James is in the USA, but she's a big name in the UK and I can firmly recommend her books].

I was at a conference at a college in Cambridge and during a break I'd taken the book to read in a quadrangle. I started reading and realised that the part in the story I'd reached was set in the college where I was. Okay, so far a pretty good coincidence. I carried on reading, and there was a scene in which the central character is described as sitting in exactly the place where I was sitting reading, on exactly the same kind of day, and with the same sorts of people hanging around. This was, to say the least, deeply unsettling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks