What's new

Ever stopped watching a good show because you couldn't stand ONE character? (1 Viewer)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott

I've learned to tolerate H. Caine by treating CSI:Miami as a comedy.

I generally stopped watching all sitcoms about ten years ago because I couldn't stand any of the characters.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Dr. Phil and Oprah Winfrey, self explanatory who I can't stand on both those shows. Technically, I never watched Dr. Phil, but he's the bane of all goodness IMHO.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
For the flip side, David Caruso is the only reason I watch "CSI: Miami". I don't find his delivery creepy, but uniquely lowkey and soothing in a genre where raised voices are the norm. (But I could do without 99% of the episodes ending with him putting on his sunglasses.)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
AJ from the Sopranos belongs right in this thread. I wanna throttle the hell out of that little punk whenever he shows up (seasons 4 & 5 mostly) :thumbsdown:.

--
H

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Hehe...funny to see others bashing Dina Meyers.

I could take her or leave her. However, her former co-star, Casper Van Dien, stated that he simply could not stand her. He explained how she would not be a team player. If she did not have a line in a scene, she would not act in it. She would hold up production because she was a little stiff from a previous days shoot etc. etc.

Casper was asked by one of the James Bond executives what he thought of Dina. Casper said he was sorry he had to share the same planet with her. The producer said that was one of the nicest things he had heard about her! :D

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, I guess all those parts she has played she was really just playing herself.

Jamie Doucette

Stunt Coordinator
I stopped watching Survivor Marquises (sp?), Survivor Allstars and the most recent Amazing Race after just a few episodes of each, because of one character.

I'll give you a cookie if you can guess who I'm talking about. :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Isn't Nancy Grace about the most irritating personality on TV today? If I were a Judge in a court room with her I would let her win just so she would shut up! :)

Unforunately, my wife has to have CNN on the majority of the time so I have to leave the room. Fortunately I have 3 TV sets.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Yes, she's very obnoxious. It's her job to be opinionated but she doesn't have to be so irritating.

Steve Meil

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
I stopped watching the West Wing because I could not stand Stockard Channing
I stopped watching Smallville because I couldn't stand the Lana character

Question Why do most people think Buffy, Angel and Firefly were any good. I thought Firefly was a piece of crap and couldn't watch more than a couple of episoses. I thought Buffy was to something . Angel was about the best of those 3 shows and it wasn't that good

I forgot one- I will never watch 2 1/2 men becuase I can't stand that little fat f..

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Or every time he show up perfectly framed out of nowhere, whether it's in the bad guy's rearview mirror, or next to the bad guy's yacht on the high seas.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Or every time he whips off his sunglasses... It wouldn't be long before every player was a raging alcoholic. :D

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

??? Chris Elliot wasn't even a regular character on Raymond. He turned up as an occassional guest star. I've never avoided watching a show because of an intermittnetly recurring character. It would be like not watching Babylon 5 becuase you hate Bester, or avoiding 7 years of Star Trek TNG because you don't like "Q". :)

I recently caught a rerun of The Rockford Files on TVLand or whoever is running it these days, and was reminded of why I more or less stopped watching the last couple of seasons: Angel. Stuart Margolin isn't a bad actor, but that character was irritating as hell and I could never understand why Jim didn't just pull out his gun and shoot him to put them both out of their misery. Angel grew from an occassional annoyance with a cameo every few episodes to a virtual co-star near the end, and just unbalanced the series to the point where I mostly stopped watching.

Regards,

Joe

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Nah, that would just distract from my lusting after Emily Proctor... the real reason I put up with Caruso. :D

Marie McC

Auditioning
I've never stopped watching a show for only one annoying character. Those shows who do have a character that gets on my nerves, like Lay's potato chips, never have just one.

Used to love Northern Exposure but Maggie got too obnoxious and self righteous, Marilyn too whiny, Joel too Joel-ish. ER was great the first couple of seasons, but after that they seemed to have a need every season for a depressed nurse who must try to get into everyone's business and save them all, an obnoxious abusive doctor, and a newbie screwup. Too predictable, all annoying. Someone mentioned the Ed program. Not only was Ian Michael Black intolerable but also that nerdy high school kid. In fact, *all* of the nerdy high school kids on that program were insufferable.

As for Seinfeld, someone stopped watching because George was too obnoxious and weird? Not Kramer, huh? How ironic. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks