What's new

Ever fallen in love with a place? (1 Viewer)

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
While I pretty much love anywhere on the Vancouver Island I'd have to say Goldstream provincal park is my "piece of heaven / spread my ashes there" type of place on earth. If you like camping I HIGHLY recomend checking it out.

Goldstream Provincial Park

Dean

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I had a conversation about this with a New York friend who was amazed by the "stiff arm towards traffic, jaywalk against the light, don't wait for a 'Walk' signal" Boston street crossing technique. He said the only reason we did it this way in Boston is because in New York the drivers would just hit you. I told him Boston drivers will hit you too; we just aren't that concerned about it.:D

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Things must have changed since I lived there (which, admittedly, was a while back). Drivers stopped for me no matter when or where I crossed -- but only as I long as I didn't hesitate. Show any fear, and they'd mow you down.

When I first moved to NYC, my wife-to-be would routinely reach out and pull me back at street crossings. "You can't do that here!" she'd said. "This isn't Boston!!" :laugh:

M.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Naw, they'd always hit you. It's just that the traffic moves so slow you can usually do the "hip flex around the fender" or "shoe on the bumper and land on the hood" with relatively little danger. I've seen enough people get hit (and then flip the bird, just like Adam said) to know they'll definitely hit you if they get the chance. :D

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I'll be driving in there tonight. My niece is appearing with the Tchaikovsky Perm Ballet Company in their presentation of Sleeping Beauty. No problem if you are well schooled in combat driving techniques. :D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Except for the D line on Red Sox nights. Too many people that get tanked before the game to ride safely. I remember my first week here I got puked on by a lightweight 20-something.

That said, I leave my car in Albany for that very reason. It's just easier to walk or take the T than to drive here. With rare exceptions (when I want to go to Walmart, mainly) I don't really miss having it. One of the big struggles I'm having now is finding a place to live next year on a T line. I got priced out of my current place. (Damn you, housing bubble!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks