What's new

Euro 2004 (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I didn't necessarily mean it was a bad result, Steve, just that it was unexpected. Unless you expect me to believe that you had picked Greece to win, in which case I have a bridge in London I'd be willing to sell you. :)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Words can not express the joy i feel now for my national team.We as a country are not used to sucsess like this.Then we go and take out the reigning champs France , go Greece !It is madness here in my neighborhood , fireworks are going off nonstop, cars are honking.The only question that remains is can we beat Czech Republic ?Hi Steve !:D

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lars Larsen
I just saw a recap on tv of yesterdays match between Portugal and England. I didn't notice when I watched the game live that Luis Figo apparently in frustration went straight to the locker room when he was substituted. Has he developed a primadonna attitude or what? If you can't score goals you gotta go. He hasn't impressed me at all lately, and the decision to replace him in the game was proven right.

Greece played very well tonight and the French team seems to be only a shadow of its former self. Where the hell was Zidane?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Haggai, thats just it, nobody expected Greece to beat the reigning champions, which makes it doubly sweet.:D

Hi Tony! Good to see another Greek on the forum, a lot of celebrating over there tonight, as they should be.:)

Tell truth I was supporting England until they lost to Portugal. And they would have won if the blasted ref hadn't disallowed that goal, shite!

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator
What a result last night, Greece fully deserved the win.

I think you a doing Denmark some injustice there, they are no pushovers and are playing some good football at the moment. The Czechs are favourites but so were France and England.

david stark

Second Unit

I agree partially, you should never look further than your next match especially in a knock out tournament. Then again England were only favourites in English peoples heads (as usual) and the French were favourites on past reputation and I thought they looked pretty pants in all thier games (I missed the Greece v France game), but I wasn't surprised by the result.

The Czechs are favourites on current form, but indeed the Danes have a decent team, it should be a good game, but I would go with a Greece v Czech and Holland v Portugal semis with the Czechs beating Holland in the final.

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
What a pathetic display of football by the French team. They deserve all the critism they'll get from the french media when they get back to France as it was a disgraceful performance. At their peak they can be just sensational to watch but their efforts against Greece was damn uninspiring.

Full credits to Greece, they played a smarter brand of football. Not the most entertaining of matches - perhaps the worst of the Euro 2004 tournament - but a clinical display.

My money will be on the Czech Replublic now.

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
By the way how the ball just kept on hitting the goal post and the cross bar on so many occassions, you wouldn't be wrong in thinking that both the Dutch & Swedes were aiming for it.

Great match. Holland have broken their luckless run in penalty shootouts. That Robben looks like a good footballer in the making. Chelsea FC will benefit greatly from his service.

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
For the semi-finals:

HOLLAND vs PORTUGAL
GREECE vs CZECH REPUBLIC

I just wish Baros can replicate that form he's in right now for Liverpool in the coming EPL season :)

david stark

Second Unit

By the way I'm English (just living abroad at the moment). I think so. According to the FIFA rankings the following countries are all ahead of England and are competing in Euro 2004 (numbers are world rankings):
2. France
3. Spain
5. Netherlands
8. Germany
10. Italy
11. Czech Republic
13. England

Our best recent result in a Tournament was the semi finals of Euro 96. I don't see how anyone (except the English press of course) can work that into making us favourites.

We shouldn't blame going out on the ref. After that performance we deserved to go out. Did we learn nothing from losing to France? We nicked an early goal and attempted to shut up and defend for the rest of the game and it didn't work (again). If we had played like we did when we went 2-1 down in that game for the first 90 minutes we would have won after 90 minutes. The sooner we accept that and not blame it on the ref or some dodgy bit of turf the sooner we can move on and learn something from this and maybe actually win something.

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator
I meant we were favourites against Portugal and they are not above us in the FIFA rankings. I didn't mean we were favourites for the Cup.

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
Ive seen it Jonathan lol.

I am pissed off about the referre, because IT WAS a goal. Ive seen the video's, the pictures one after the other and if the referee would of listened to the linesman and had some balls we would be through now. So this is one exception where I am blaming the ref.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Ya know, being a Gooner I'm generally pro-England, but in this case, I'd have to say the ref wasn't wrong to disallow the goal. If anything, I'm just miffed that again, Sol doesn't get to score the winning goal because one of his team-mates commits a foul. Then again, in 1998, I didn't feel that miffed... ;)

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis

If England didn't stop playing football everytime they were leading 1-0 , or if Beckham was able to shoot decent penalty kicks ("Blew it like Beckham"), THEN you would be through...
IIRC, he has now missed 3 consecutive penalty kicks ! (prev. against Turkey)
Don't blame your team's shortcomings on a possible referee mistake...

On French TV, Arsène Wenger said that it would be scored a goal in England, but in England only. A referee from any continental Europe country would disallow the goal because of the foul...

david stark

Second Unit

Even in UK I thikn it may have been disallowed. The keepers all over the world are over protected (in my opinion). IMHO when 2 players are going for a 50-50 ball neither should get special protection regardless of if they are the keeper, but that is not the way it is played.

As soon as the ball went in I was holding my breath to see if the ref would give it or not.

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator

We was playing football...otherwise we wouldnt of scored a fair goal. If that goal wasn't scored and we lost on penalties, believe me I wouldnt be complaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks