1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

International Eureka brings 2 Sirk films to Blu in August/September

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by classicmovieguy, Jul 9, 2013.

1. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Screenwriter

Byron
    UK label Eureka are releasing the Douglas Sirk films "A Time to Love and a Time to Die", and "The Tarnished Angels", in their 'Masters of Cinema' Blu-ray collection, in August-September.

Hopefully more Sirk on Blu-ray will be on the horizon! I have my fingers & toes crossed for "Imitation of Life", "There's Always Tomorrow", "Interlude", "Magnificent Obsession", "All I Desire" and "All That Heaven Allows".

Attached Files:

2. Robin9

Robin9 Screenwriter

Robin
    Very good news indeed. Many thanks. I'll buy both as soon as they're available. And yes, I'd like other Sirk movies on Blu-ray too. Sirk's deployment of composition, light and color is ideal for high definition.

3. Douglas R

Douglas R Screenwriter

Doug
    Be good if they could get the stereo tracks for A TIME TO LOVE.............

4. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    Douglas Sirk is a director, like Fritz Lang, whose films are always worth watching. I am also hoping that Written on the Wind will be released on blu-ray soon. I watched it recently on Channel 4 HD and it was like seeing it for the first time. I am concerned about the AR's for Sirk's films however!

My favourite Sirk film is none of the above. It is Has Anybody Seen My Gal, ever since I first saw it on the Carlton Cinema television channel on ONdigital (subsequently ITV Digital). Anybody remember Carlton Cinema, the best channel for classic films, it has been gone 10 years now.

classicmovieguy likes this.
  5. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Screenwriter

Byron
    "Has Anybody Seen My Gal?" is a real charmer. Sirk had a special hand at comedy, which a lot of people are still unaware because his later melodramas kind of overshadowed the earlier American films (including the fun murder-mystery "Lured" with Lucille Ball).

Keith Cobby likes this.
  6. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    You are right about Lured, what a wonderful cast. George Sanders, Charles Coburn, Boris Karloff and one of my absolute favourites - George Zucco. I must give the DVD a spin!

classicmovieguy likes this.