What's new

ESPN's 30 by 30 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Anyone else watching these? There have been some absolutely exceptional documentaries on Saturday nights.. this weeks, Bo Jackson, was very good, but the ones on "Broke" "SMU" and "With No Bias" were exceptional stuff.

Number 6

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Hahn
My two cents?
This collection is great stuff. I'm not the biggest fan of N. American sports (beyond hockey, that is), but I found these to be compelling documentaries, first and foremost.
The blu ray presentation is top-notch as well; audio and video are great. Much better than I expected. The only caveat I would mention is that the vintage material (clips incorporated into the episodes) is often stretched from it's original 4:3 aspect ratio to 'fit' into the 16X9 frame. It's not terribly distracting; the strength of the docs easily make up for this.
Got mine on a sale on Amazon, but even at the $54 that it's listed at now is, in my opinion, a bargain.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
CNET was selling this the other day for some ridiculous price, like $30. I would've jumped on it, but I've seen most of the films and they get repeated all the time. Most of them are really great.
Should probably fix the title of the thread, though -- it's 30 *For* 30. :)
I think there are actually more than 30 films now, too. Only 30 in the set though.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
The original series is still 30 For 30. They were so popular that ESPN revived things and is continuing the "brand". They've announced that they will be putting out a collection of the new films when there's enough to collect them.

SteveSs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
Two of these films I found compelling were: (1) I think it was called 'The Two Escobars", about the rise and fall of soccer in Columbia and how it related to the drug trade; and (2) "9.79", where we get to see Ben Johnson, who was drugged up to his yellow eyeballs during his Olympic days, accuse Carl Lewis of tampering with him or his test samples. Amazing...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks