What's new

Errol Flynn boxset for April 12th (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Paul,
Have you seen the other films? The reason why I ask is because some including I, think "The Sea Hawk" is a better film than "Captain Blood".

Crawdaddy

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i originally saw Sea Hawk before Blood and enjoyed it, but i was excited when i finally got the chance to see Blood (we're talking mid 80s here) and afterwards it was my impression that i enjoyed it a lot more.
scenes from it have certainly stuck with me more than anything from SH.
the other films i can't honestly recall seeing or not.
i have the feeling i've seen one of his westerns before, but if so it didn't do anything for me.

its not so much that i'm adverse to giving the other ones another shot, so much as Warner just has so damn much stuff coming out in th next few month, including at least several boxsets with much quantity that i'm eager to see sooner, that i wonder if this set is the best way to go for me.

another concern i have (a BIG one) is space.
i can't really afford to keep stuff around that i only have a passing interest in, or that i don't expect to have the urge to watch for a while- which is the case with most of the Flynns.
i do want to check out Sea Hawk again, and i would like to see the westerns at some point- but i honestly would probably be better off renting this stuff from netflix when the mood strikes, rather that have it take up space on the shelf.

the controversial collection for instance, still has a few titles i'm not interested in, but on the whole, i'm more rabid right now to see ones from that set than i am the Flynn stuff.
it's about $20 more though so my per cost average wouldn't be quite as good.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I can't count the number of times I've watched each of these Errol Flynn titles, so maybe, my perspective of them are loftier than others. I'm kind of surprise that you haven't seen some of these titles or just a distant memory of them.

Crawdaddy

Armin Jager

Stunt Coordinator
Just a small question: Does anybody know if the newly made documentary for the box set is only for USA and Canada? At the moment it looks like all individual films would be released in Germany in June except for the docu. Are there again some rights issues which prevent it from being released in Europe (I don't see any release dates for France or UK)?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As I said on the previous page, are we sure - in view of the righs issues which affected the 'Comedies' and 'Musicals' boxes - the documentary disc will be in the Warners Canadian release? Now I am worried...

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

John, perhaps Barrie Maxwell can chime in. I know Barrie receives his screeners from the Toronto office - while mine are from California, so I can't help - sorry. I just returned from vacation and I'm presently working on the set for the forum.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Being an impatient chap, I emailed Barrie Maxwell who has very kindly replied and I'm sure he won't mind me reproducing his answer which has set my mind at rest:

"I haven't yet received the set from Warner Canada, but in their message to me a few weeks ago listing what would be available, they did specifically mention that The Adventures of Errol Flynn would be included."

Phew!

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
John-
I just bought the set and yes it is included so now you can rest easy and just look forward to getting your copy. Now my only problem is which one to watch first...:)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Probably because the thread title says April 12th.:D I had it on my calendar for the 19th, but when I saw this thread revived, I got excited thinking I was wrong. DOOOOHHHHHH!!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Would somebody that has the set and a scanner do me a favor?

dvdaficionado.com won't accept a separate submission for the documentary disc without cover art. Could someone scan the art and either host the pic online or send the pic to me via email?

I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've watched "Dodge City" and "The Sea Hawk" and so far I'm very happy with this boxset. I'll watch two more of them tomorrow morning. They will probably be "They Died with their Boots On" and "Captain Blood". I'm going to save "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex" for last along with the documentary.

Crawdaddy

Neal K

Agent
My only carp with the set is, seeing that it's as much a feast for Korngold lovers as Flynn fanciers, that I really wish they had been able to locate music only tracks (such as The Adventures of Robin Hood managed to include), since we are unlikely to get new releases of these titles anytime soon.

Anyone know if such tracks exist for the films in question?

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I'll be curious to hear others' reaction to the Captain Blood DVD, which I found a bit messy. I can't blame the transfer (people usually blame the transfer rather than the elements), which I'm sure is top-notch - but the elements are pretty worn at times and very dupey looking at times. It's nowhere near the quality of The Sea Hawk (it's actually closer to the twenty minutes of The Sea Hawk that were taken from a print). I also don't like the film nearly as much as The Sea Hawk, which is perfection.

I watched the documentary, which is somewhat better than most of these things (most of which I loathe) - they have interesting subjects to interview, rather than pedantic teachers and scholars (well, there is the nuisance of the awful Richard Schickel - I sped through his sections).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I thought the video presentation of "Captain Blood" was fine and since, we have no idea what elements were used or what shape they were in, I'm not going to pass further judgement.

As far as the film itself, I already stated earlier in this thread, that I thought "The Sea Hawk" was a better film. It isn't by much, but the writing and acting were better along with superior staging of the battle scenes.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks