What's new

Eraserhead DVD now available for purchase (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
As said previously in the thread, there are no specs yet. I'll post my impressions when my disc arrives.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
eraserhead is one of my tope 10 favorite films....but there's NO way I'm shelling out $50 before finding out the specs. I'm very surprised they're not listed on the website.

it's promising that the initial release of this dvd was pushed back due to quality control...i would imagine this bodes well for the dvd, but i'm going to have to wait and see.

rossini

Auditioning
Those can't afford R1 "Eraserhead", might get a R2(Japan) substitute.

3,800 Yen, DD 2.0/16:9 Squeeze

Here is a captured image sample:

Christopher_J_F

Stunt Coordinator
Got mine on Friday (within 24 hours from ordering!)
*SPECS:
-Anamorphic widescreen (According to the insert)
-R0
-NTSC
-(As usual) NO chapter stops
-Fully (frame by frame) restored video
-UNCOMPRESSED PCM soundtrack(!)
-The video optimizer from the "Shorts" dvd
-Full motion menu's w/ a DELETED scene of Henry's pant leg catching on a dead hairless cat corpse as he tries to wiggle it off(!)
-TWO EXTRAS:
****An HOUR AND A HALF of Lynch talking about the making of Eraserhead! WORTH THE PRICE ALONE! (Shot in the same style as the "Shorts" dvd intros) w/ plenty of photographs and video footage. It's anyones guess as to why this wasn't listed as a feature. Deleted scenes are discussed,(but only the one in the menu is shown) as well as a phone call to Cathrene Coulson. Priceless.
-US Trailer

-Hope this helps!
I absolutely recommend this DVD!

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Thanks a lot Christopher!

Been waiting to get the this and the Shorts so I jumped on it, with CA tax it's right up around $100 - but what can you do if you're a fan right? :)

Looks like they did a nice job on the Eraserhead disc, been a long time since I watched it.

Ike

Screenwriter
Woohoo! I just was expecting barebones! I haven't got my shipping confirmation yet....oh, it can't get here soon enough.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I just placed my order. The shipping charge of $13 really isn't too bad on an order of 3 DVDs and 2 CDs. heh heh :D

I hope they ship soon!

Gregory

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Christopher's list did it. As soon as the new credit card billing cycle starts again, I'm going to be jumping on this one immediately. Thanks for the information on the specs Chris!

Wow, a 90 minute conversation with Lynch. I can't put into words how incredibly great that is...

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Excellent! I hope my order comes soon! How's the booklet? Any way you can post a screenshot so we can compare to the pic that Rossini posted?

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
Lynch went through and cleaned the picture frame-by-frame. I can't imagine it will disappoint. He even said it's going to be the cleanest black and white DVD transfer in existence.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Thanks Jussi!, looks wonderful.

Gregory: David should deliver that stuff to you personally :D, everything looks to be quality though - I doubt fans will be dissapointed.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I got mine today (Lynch's CSRs are great, by the way) and, with only a cursory glance at it, it looks great. The menu is way creepy. Cost is still high, but if you're a Lynch fan, you can't NOT get this.

Also, Amoeba Music (at least in Hollywood) got in copies of the Shorts DVD for retail sale, so I'm assuming that they'll do the same with Eraserhead as well.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Based on the Lynchnet review, the uncompressed PCM stereo soundtrack track is a no-show. Looks like they went to compressed DD 2.0 to leave more room for higher bit-rate video. Should have been a 2-disc set IMHO.

Still looks like a keeper, and my copy is on the way!

Felix

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I'm a bit underwhelmed by an underwhelming review (especially one from a fanboy), but only because of the heftier price-tag and the fact that I'm a PCM-advocate for all soundtracks that don't require digital blah blah.

Oh, I'll buy it. Yes, I will. But I can't help but think this disc would be better (and cheaper) as a Criterion.

Pat Ford

Stunt Coordinator
What a joy! Eraserhead waiting at my doorstep when I got home. Just finished going through the film and the Lynch discussion. Good stuff. The film looks great...like the reviewer said, there are minor compression artifacts here and there but the print is very clean and looks beautiful in widescreen. Also, even though it's 2-channel, the sound is fantastic and completely immersive. No complaints. Worth the high cost just to have the film in such nice condition, but the Lynch discussion piece really puts this package over the edge. For die hard fans, I don't know how much new information is here, but rarely do you get a chance to hear him talk so much about his work. I say order with confidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks