What's new

Eragon trailer *A better dragonheart* (1 Viewer)

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Okay, as someone who is actually reading the book the movie is based on, I can say that, yeah, there is a strong influence from LOTR on the story, but I would HARDLY call it a rip-off...the plots are very different. I say give it a chance before dimissing it...

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
in terms of names, he ripped off the name Arya from George R R Martin who has a badass little girl called, Arya.

I'll voice my support for A Song of Ice and Fire as well, consistently the best writing today in any genre... well Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and Shadow of the Wind were equally well written.

I think its funny the latest trailer cuts out ALL dialogue. But then listening to the first trailer I understand why, if you actually have to hear people saying such lines you can't help but burst out laughing.

I mean, what evil dictator DOESN'T tell his underlings what he's afraid of? geesh.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping the "silent" trailer implied a foriegn film. Dragons that smoke cigarettes and sleep around with other dragons that have accents is a sure-fire recipe for big box-office returns.

Gabriel>P

Stunt Coordinator

That would be because the story belongs to Lucas.

The film doesn't just rip-off LOTR. That is mainly in the characters names and places. The books themselves directly read as if it was the OT Star Wars.

Book 1 reads just like A New Hope and the second just like Empire. Except the kid can't write so it isn't even 1/10th as fun as the original stories it completely and utterly rips-off.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Gabriel beat me to it, but yeah, basically Eragon's names = LOTR and Eragon's Story = Star Wars.

Basically, the entire Eragon exercise was a publicity stunt to grab a bunch of "youngest author ever" headlines (and I'm not sure if that's even true) as a way to get a push for promotion and selling the book to the kiddies. Unfortunately, everyone saw how well that worked and we've had quite a few of these "buy this book, a 12 year old wrote it!!" stunts recently - of course, one of them is caught up in possible plagiarism charges now, haha!!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
GL invented the "heroes journey" template?

I was unaware that it did not exist prior to 1977. This is no defense of Eragon, which is clearly a SW rip, but let's not pretend GL (and Tolkien, and Heinlein, and...) didn't "borrow" from numerous different sources himself, many of which predated Star Wars by centuries.

Rutgar

Second Unit

True. But it had damn good music.

I read Dragon Riders of Pern when I was kid. But I really don't remember anything about it. I suppose it's a rip-off of LOTR's. But it's an OLD rip-off of LOTR's and if anything, Star Wars ripped DRoP off. The first book was written in 1968.

Josh.C

Second Unit
All I know is that I am very stoked to see this movie. The trailor looks great, and I am the world's biggest sucker for a "Dragon" flick. I usually love these kinds of movies, and the shots on the trailer look outstanding.

And imo if you are going to rip off ideas from another movie, LOTR is a pretty good one to pick. I for one never got enough LOTR, and anything that even remotely reminds me of its greatness will be a welcomed experience in my book. WE WANT THE HOBBIT!!!

I will definitely give Eragon a viewing on opening weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.