What's new

Eragon trailer *A better dragonheart* (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
From the previews, I think it would be lucky to be half of what Dragonheart was.

Seriously, this looks horrible.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That's been almost everyone's reaction that is familiar with the book. I'm surprised Christopher Tolkien hasn't sued.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
How hard is it not to have such a genre film strongly resemble LOTR? I'll be fine with the dragon as long as he doesn't talk. :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
From the 2006 Box Office thread:

With the exception of Harry Potter, I ve been unable to get into any fantasy series because they seem to ripoff LOTR atone point or another. Even the much praise Wheel of Time series. Ugh.

--
H

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Holadem,

I would recommend reading George RR Martin's fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire.

The first book is A Game of Thrones. It is nothing like LOTR.

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator

I second the recommendation for the Song Of Fire and Ice series. Totally brutal series that pulls no punches with the characters and mostly forgoes the goblin and magic fantasy from LOTR.

My only complaint about the series is having to wait for the next book.

Back to the original topic: Sure the movie looks like another fantasy ripoff but I think the dragon looks pretty cool. I'll probably rent it for that alone. I've never read the source material but I can't quite understand why they would so blatantly rip-off names from LOTR.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
The kid who wrote Eragon was, what?, 15 or something? I ripped off LotR when I was that age too. I just never got it published. My bad...

KyleK

Second Unit
I trust we all remember what happened last time Jeremy Irons was in a dragon movie...

*shudder*

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
hmmm...usually these ripoffs only go straight to video. In fact there's a very clear LOTR ripoff on the video shelves now that imitates the box art very precisely. I can't remember the name of it, but it pitches itself on that cover as a serious movie in the vein of LOTR. This one appears to be doing the same, except it's a motion picture trilogy.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
I have no interest in Eragon, book or film.

However, with Peter Jackson buying the rights to the Termeraire books I may actually be looking forward to dragon movies.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Right and like I said, Eragon would be lucky to be half as good as Dragonheart was!:D

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

You could have gotten it published if your parents owned a publishing company like the parents of Eragon's author did.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Dragonheart sucked? It's been quite a while since I've seen it, but as memory serves, I thought it was pretty good. Perhaps I need to revisit it. :)

Now Dragonheart 2, yeah that I could agree with.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I actually liked Dragonheart too, could have been better, but it hardly sucked. Best dragon film so far still is Dragonslayer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.