What's new

ER 10/9/03 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Dear Abby"

I liked this episode, and it seems to set up Abby going back to becoming a doctor because she's over-qualified as a nurse. And the nurse revolt didn't help things.

Will the sparks re-ignite between Luka and Abby? Part of me hopes not, but maybe the Congo change within Luka might allow him to be a better man if they started up again. Abby looked a little jealous of Luka's "girlfriend" as she doted on him.

Felt bad about Abby's "Dear Abby" letter got passed around. Not cool...especially since we, the audience, didn't get the read it, even if the gist was Carter was dumping Abby.

The new doctors are a scary bunch of characters.

Parminder Nagra made it into the credits in the 3rd episode already.

Pratt and Deb could be on the way out. But I get the sneaky suspicion that Pratt comes around to Deb's way of thinking in terms of commitment.

The exchange between Romano and Kerry in front of the elevator (and the kids and Abby) was excellent! Romano still has a heckuva right arm, though.

Diego (Dr. Dorset, sorry, I still think of the brash surgeon as Diego when Bruno Campos was on "Jessie") made quite the save in the ER, and got rewarded handsomely by Corday.

Overall, a fast-moving episode that laid down a lot of foundation for this season.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I'm sorry. My take on ER: why bother anymore? Obviously, we're only going to see Carter during sweeps episodes (maybe we'll get Abby's family again at the same time. OH BOY!), and Carter was the only connection to the original cast. Without that connection to the original cast, there is no fan loyalty.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I actually quite enjoyed the episode, despite the previous two weeks. The premiere was less-than-stellar and then last week's "Search for Luca" was terribly uninteresting. We finally got back to the ER, with our main characters in relatively high situations.

From way back when Kerry came out and she had the fight with Romano in the john, every single fight they have is plain gold. The two confrontations were just as good and were the highlights of the episode.

I'm not sure I like the changes made physically to the ER. The nurse's cage? Sounds kind of kinky. But, in all honesty, you have to change the decor every once in a while to keep your show fresh.

I was also shocked to see Parminder Nagra in the opening credits. I thought she's at least be a special guest star a while longer. No gripes about it, though; I like her character.

The only new med student worth anything is Coop, who had an AWESOME confrontation with Romano. He's quite possibly the first person outside of Weaver to get in his face. Something tells me Coop isn't exactly giving everyone the whole truth. Romano basically holds his future in his hand; why would you fight so openly with him on the first day?

My only gripe is that good-old-boy turned stud Gallant had about three lines of dialogue. Maybe a meaty story for him soon...please?

ER's not back to where it was at its peak, but it's better off than anything in last year's doldrums.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I think Weaver was in the original cast too. I liked the exchange between Romano and Weaver.
"Kerry you're a real bitch" - Romano
"But I'm your boss so now you're my bitch" - Weaver
I wouldn't be surprised if Weaver and Romano get it on together. Maybe he'll pull her away from her lesbianism and make her switch teams.

The new students are all idiots. Waiting for Romano to hook that new student who was giving him hell.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Weaver showed up in season 2, as did Susan; Deb showed up in season 3.

Funny enough, Jerry was an original (though he left for a few years and returned last year)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ Weaver did show up in season 2. Susan Lewis was on from the beginning (Mark Greene, Susan Lewis, Carol Hathaway, Doug Ross, Peter Benton and John Carter).

If Romano is going to hook up (no pun) with anyone, it's going to be Corday. As she was leaving, did you see the way he was just staring after her?

Mini-rant: Dave, you don't just turn your sexuality on and off like you're suggesting. It's not like a light switch...oops, I wanna be gay today *switch on*. Lemme tell ya something: it just doesn't happen that way.

Besides, there's enough outright hostility between Weaver and Romano to preclude them getting together (not to mention Sandy...Kerry's girlfriend).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oops, I misread Susan's start year.

Romano has always had a thing for Corday, but she's always resisted because, well, he's not the nicest guy in the world. Now, would Romano get all competitional by making life miserable for Dorset, I don't know.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I would hope Romano knows that he's not going to lure Lizzie away by being a crab ass, firing nurses and screaming at the top of his lungs. Granted, he went through some tough stuff, but this is just common sense.

She shouldn't think about Romano, either. Dorset is much better more handsome...though he does have an attitude at times.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Romano has always had a thing for Corday, but she's always resisted because, well, he's not the nicest guy in the world. Now, would Romano get all competitional by making life miserable for Dorset, I don't know.
I thought that stare was as much about Dr. Dorset having everything Romano aspired to [looks, surgical skill, mystique, . . . not to mention Corday and both his arms], as it was about Corday.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, sure, the compare/contrast was too much for Romano to bear (resulting in him blowing his top and chucking his prosthetic arm through the window).

Romano needs to get into teaching surgery because he can't quite perform well enough in life-death split-second surgical situations. But his bedside manner is horrendous. Romano's basically in hell right now.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I just wish they would give Romano some type of epiphany, and let his character evolve. He has always been the same one dimensional character. He's a hot surgeon, who is conceited and angry. He's the hopsital director, who is conceited and angry, he loses an arm, he's conceited and angry. Let the guy have some emotions.

However, I did love the fact that Cooper stayed in his face, causing Romano to lose his cool and snappy comebacks.

Lastly, please, enough with the "Nurses going to quit, so make Abby do everything" storylines.

Shaun

Second Unit
I thought Dorsett's save was hilarious. The line from the med student had me rolling. "That guy's got bigger balls than my head".:D

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
This was definitely a better episode than the first two of the season. The new residents really helped.

//Ken

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Read the "Dear Abby" Letter (from nbc.com)

Dear Abby,

By the time you read this letter, Luka should be safe in America and you will probably be wondering why I'm not with him. Before you go blaming yourself let me just say, it's not you, it's me - and I know even as I write this that you're going to think that's a breakup cliché, but if you could just try and hold back your judgment - and your condemnation - for a minute, maybe you will actually be able to understand what I'm trying to say. Being here has changed me in ways I never imagined. It put everything in perspective. County, Gamma's death, you. Well, me and you. We just had to work so hard at everything. Too hard, you know? When I think back on our last year together, everything appears hazy, muddled. And in the Congo, everything is very clear. People are suffering. I can help them. They need me. In a way that you don't.

You're much stronger than you think. You don't need me, Abby, and I don't think you ever really did. We both know we would work better unfettered. I think that at one point you convinced yourself that I was the right guy for you - reliable and safe, and I don't know, stable - but I don't think that that's what you really want. When we were just friends, it was safe. Maybe we even put each other on pedestals, I don't know. And then when we were finally together, it didn't become what either of us thought it would be. I didn't end up being what you expected, and you didn't end up being…sorry, I'm rambling.

I gave you as much as I could, but it wasn't enough. Clearly, there were a lot of things going on in your life that were more important, understandably. Eric's disease, your mother. Your life is complicated, and I didn't fit into that mix very well, did I? I tried to help, but then when I needed you…I don't know.

The light is dying. I don't want to waste any more kerosene.

I don't know how long I'm going to end up staying here. Don't wait for me.

I also want to say thank you. You are still one of the most amazing people I know.

Love,
Carter

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
For those who are wondering where the writers are taking Romano:

(HUGE SPOILER)
Around episode 6 or so, Romano dies in a helicopter crash. No, I'm not kidding.

Just more evidence the writers have no idea how to do character development anymore.

I would much rather have seen a slow transformation in him, going from cranky surgeon to valuable teacher. But hey, that would have required consistency and subtlety, and as we all know, the ER writers abandoned those long ago.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
No no no no no no no.

That most definately can't happen.

Trying not to spoil anything, is there a word on another Weaver/Romano spat? Those are truly classic pieces of dialogue that get me busting a gut laughing each and every time.

Chris White

Second Unit
That most definately can't happen.

I agree. Two of the most talked about and enjoyed scenes were a) Romano vs. Coop and b) Romano vs. Weaver.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
If this rumor does indeed prove true, then I have to ask

What is it with Romano and Helicopters?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks