What's new

ER 10/30/03 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Out of Africa"

I was so glad I didn't pay much attention to the ER promos (because when the drunk mom lit herself up, I was surprised she was going that far because I thought she was just trying to get some more booze out of the car).

Bob Newhart's appearance will lead into a few more, and I guess Susan is taking the lead on his case. Susan had a rough day at the ER.

Sam Taggart - Mmmm... me likes alot. I didn't realize Linda Cardellini was going to be a regular (had to back up the opening credits twice to see her name after Parminder Nagra's to make sure). But Sam had quite the opening introduction scene, and she appears to be battle-tested from her previous stints at other hospitals.

Romano was really giving Abby a hard time, but you'd expect it from Romano because he's so hard/cruel on the nurses anyhow. Abby looked weird in doctor garb. I liked her better as the nurse that usually knew more than most of the interns/students.

I hope we never see Morris again. He reminds me of Osten from Survivor - a quitter that didn't need to be there.

And yes, Kovach is the man. His time in the Congo taught him a lot about triage patient management.

Corday got blindsided when it was revealed in the middle of surgery that Dorset is married.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Definately an effective episode. The kid watching his mother burn up was pretty intense (although simple lighter fluid would not combust like that.) I found it odd that her bare chest was allowed to be shown when she was being worked on (even though it was pretty much burned beyond recognition)

Got to agree about Sam. Very nice.

I wonder if anyone noticed this.

The whole Bob Newhart appearance thing seems a bit forced. Didn't Susan already have a whole patient connection story arc last year with that cancer kid from "Almost Famous" Although, I suppose it is better than Sally Field (who probably will be back anyway in a few weeks)

Sam told Romano that he reminded her of an old boyfriend of hers who died. Could this be a foreshadowing of Romano's fate? If you were to believe the rumor about Romano that was brought up in one of the earlier episode threads

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding Romano (just my own opinion, but still):
It does seem like they are setting him up to be killed off, which would really make me mad. He's always been one of my favorite characters.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I would much rather have this use of Susan Lewis over the forced dreck with Donal Logue from last year/early this year. I have no problems with the idea or Logue for that matter; the writers just put them in impossibly high schoolish situations. Not funny folks.

This whole rotating character situation is almost becoming comical. John's not around, so you'd think maybe someone else would get the spotlight, right? Maybe Gallant or Weaver or even Chen (MIA last night, BTW). But no...we bring in Sam and Neela (whom I do like), crowding an already crowded cast. Why not bring the guy who plays Cooper onto the show full time? Why not get the cast down to a manageable size again, like it was in the beginning? The core group-Carter, Abby, Luca, Corday and Weaver-still have miles they can go if the writers let them.

But we've got Pratt (another guy I love on the show), Gallant (woefully underused), Lewis, Neela, Sam, Chen and Romano. Folks, this cast is too big. With a smaller group, you can do more stories. More stories brings adreneline, imagination...

I actually liked "Out of Africa". Not as good as last week or the week before, but still solidly better than just about anything from last year.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I loved the way that after Morris neglected that woman and she died and Kovac found out she'd waited 11 hours. Then he goes out to the waiting room and announces that everyone will be seen by 10 and then just goes bed to bed as a diagnosis machine. Romano asks him what the hell he's doing, Kovac says clearing triage, and then Romano just goes "Excellent."

A really great character moment.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Maybe regarding Romano:

Maybe they can have a chemical spill that washes over him, and as he stumbles grossly disfigured out of the hospital, he can be splattered by an ambulance

...sorry, whenever I see Romano, I can't help but think of Robocop

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I found it odd that her bare chest was allowed to be shown when she was being worked on (even though it was pretty much burned beyond recognition)
They showed the grandmother's last week. Is it some kind of trend?

While Romano is an interesting and fun character, I don't see how he would get away with being so abusive in a teaching hospital. Is it even effective? Wouldn't he have had a run-in with HR or some homicidal disgruntled student by now?

//Ken

Shaun

Second Unit
I'm pretty sure that the fate of Romano is as follows:

He dies in a helicopter crash.

Maybe, maybe not. I thought I heard that somewhere.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Like I asked before

What is it with Romano and Helicopters? I wonder if it will be the same on that took his arm. I guess it wanted to finish the job

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
I didn't know that Romano was maybe going to die, too. Seems to be a high mortality rate working there recently.

When Sam made her comment, I took it that she was implying, tongue in cheek, that she killed her former boyfriend, who was a jerk like Romano. My take was that she and the Rocket may end up hooking up somewhere down the line. She just needs to watch out for that arm.

Whew! That was hard to get the spoiler tags to work. It sucks being an idiot.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Stacy,

You might want to go back and edit you post so it contains spoiler tags around that first sentence

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
Jinkies!

Just as long as she doesn't show up wearing a turtle neck and glasses, and he doesn't start wearing a scarf. Zoinks!

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
Maybe they can have a chemical spill that washes over him, and as he stumbles grossly disfigured out of the hospital, he can be splattered by an ambulance

"Get away from me MAN!"

lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks