1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Equipment Purchase Advice

Discussion in 'Displays' started by djtech2k, Mar 9, 2013.

1. djtech2k

djtech2k Well-Known Member

So after a few setbacks, I am back for some advice. Moving to a new home but still having to rent/maintain the old one is far more expensive than I was expecting. Anyway, I have made some changes to how I want to build my media room. I want to buy equipment first instead of planning everything around seating. So I want a flat panel TV. It has to be 60" minimum, but the bigger the better. I had been concentrating on the Panasonic 60" GT, but I am opening up to anything now. I want something good quality and rated at 100,000 hours. As for audio, although I know its against what most people say, I am really favoring a high-end soundbar with wireless sub. I say that because the install costs or the level of difficulty/time that it will take makes it really difficult for me to consider wired audio. My room shape makes it very hard to get surround wires run, even behind the baseboard. So I do really need some help with this. I had a MartinLogan and Bowers & Wilkins soundbar suggested to me as very nice. I went to a Best Buy to listen to them and they were nice. It was a horrible demo, but I could tell they were nice. For budget, I'll say around $5000 for audio/video. I'll handle seating separately. Thanks in advance.

2. Type A

Type A HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Ty
    You are looking at some of the finest names on the market and I dont see that you need much in the way of advice. Your budget seems high, if you are sticking to a flat panel and sound bar I would imagine youll spend under $5k :D

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Well-Known Member

Jim
    Have you considered just going with front speakers, instead of a soundbar? A decent 2.1 or 3.1 system will sound better than ANY soundbar.

4. Type A

Type A HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Ty
    The Elite PRO-60X5FD 60" can be found for $4200 nib with full warranty.

5. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    the sharp elite is a nice display for a brightly lit room. Its off axis response is not horrible. The Panasonic plasmas have pretty much perfect off axis response but can not get as bright. consider a L C R option and separate subwoofer, then add surrounds at a later time (if needed). I have not found a sound bar that I am impressed with.

6. djtech2k

First, thanks for the responses so far. So for the display, does anyone have any other suggestions? I really like the 60" Pan GT, but I fear is not big enough. I would really like something bigger for the room, but I do want the right balance of size, quality, and price. For example, I recently saw a Sharp 70" LED at BestBuy in the $2k ballpark. I know little about that tv, but thats just an example. I dont want low-end quality, thats certain. Now for the audio. This is one of my biggest battles because I know the least about whats out there. So using something like a 2.1 or 3.1 will be better than like a B&W soundbar? That surprises me. Now going the route of separates does introduce more things to do, like wiring/mounting of the front speakers and having to buy a receiver. Again, I am not opposed, but I need to have it all out on the table. If going that route is so far superior, then what would you suggest I look at for the equipment? I am also not sure about the mount of my TV yet. I would really prefer to have it wall mounted with the electronic equipment eithe rmounted in my closet or in a wall shelf. I really do not like things that sit on the floor. I won't rule anything out because of budget and amount of effort. I would love to have at least the minimum stuff ASAP. I have been considering having the Best Buy install/designers come out to do the in-home survey.

7. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    65" panasonic, 64 inch samsung plasma

8. djtech2k

So you are talking about the 65" GT? What alternatives to high-end soundbars would you guys recommend?

9. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    What do you mean by alternative? If you arent doing 5.1, stick with a bar.

10. djtech2k

Well earlier in this thread, it was suggested that 2.1 or 3.1, or just L C R are better than a soundbar. Thats kinda what I was asking about. I have looked at some higher end soundbars, but am not sure if they are a waste of money or what. If I go with separate components, I was looking for some suggestions for a decent setup.

11. 73shark

73shark Member

I think the soundbars are just an upgrade for the new TVs that have small, rear facing speakers.

12. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    $3000 for audio has to many options to pinpoint anything. At $2000 for a pair of speakers, you literally have 1,000,000 choices with probably 30,000 different companies. Totem and Dali, by themselves, have damn near 1500 choices(when you count finishes/colors).

13. djtech2k

I hear you. I mean the MartinLogan, B&W, and even Bose soundbar's are $1500-$2000, plus wireless sub. The only real audio store near me that I know about is BestBuy. I see many people say the box sets of audio are junk, so that makes me hesitatnt to look at any package deals. I am not opposed to saving money here, but like I said I want to do it right the first time. Like I said, I prefer no wires or nothing on the floor, BUT I would consider it if it was the best option. So if I had to wire or mount L C R, then ok maybe. The surround is the hardest for me. Thats another reason I looked at soundbar, because I thought the simulated surround would be decent.

14. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    It is "blasphemy", but.... Aperion Intimus 4T Summit

15. djtech2k

WOW. That sucker is expensive. I cant spend $3500 on it, but I will look to see if they have a slightly cheaper model. I can spend around $2000 or so on audio if I need to. Again, I would love to save $$ anywhere I can, but I want to get it right and not have to worry about it. Do the surround speakers require power? If so, then that does throw a little bit or a wrench into it. I am assuming they do, but I figure I'd better ask than assume. Are there ANY decent "simulated" surround solutions other than soundbars?

16. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Did you realize that price included everything? That is the "AVR" and speakers. And yes, all speakers plug into the wall. Hence why no "wireless" system is ever truly wireless...and figured you already knew that.

17. 73shark

73shark Member

Klipsch are good w/o breaking the bank.