1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Epson 8350 Throw Distance Confusion

Discussion in 'Displays' started by trailshredder, Mar 16, 2012.

1. trailshredder

trailshredder Member

In the process of building my home theater. I was about to put my electric box, HDMI box and some blocking for my soon to own, Epson 8350 projector. I got the throw distance from projector central's projection calculator to figure my distance, which was 16 feet for a 120" diag. screen size. Just today, out of curiosity, I downloaded a brochure from Epson on the 8350 and it says "80" widescreen — displays an 80" widescreen image from just 8' away, or a 120" image from just 12' away" Who do I believe? Any way to calculate the "sweet spot" from the projectors specs?

2. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    Those figures are for when the projector is at max. zoom. That Epson has a 2.1x zoom lens, so there's a HUGE amount of placement flexibility.

If you place the projector 16' from the screen, with zoom controls, your image can be anywhere from 76" to 162".(!!!!)

If you haven't played around with it, this projector calculator is pretty cool.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Well-Known Member

Jim
    For a 120" diagonal screen, the projector needs to be mounted somewhere between 11'-9" and 25'. If you mount it at 16' you will have 14 foot lamberts. That is the minimum amount of brightness you want, and that is with a new bulb. You need to shorten the throw distance to about 14', which would give you more brightness(19 foot lamberts).

4. trailshredder

trailshredder Member

perfect! that is what I was looking for! if I go closer, will it be even brighter yet or is 14 feet the "sweet spot".

5. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Well-Known Member

Jim
    Yes, the closer to the screen you mount it, the brighter the image. But how close is too close, I don't know. I think you'd be OK if you went to 12' or 13'.