What's new

Episodes of Classic TV Shows Out Of Syndication (1 Viewer)

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
When Suspense Theater was on Antenna TV, they must not have aired the full package, only a partial one of mainly season two episodes at that.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I was perusing through my "Alternate" set of THE FBI (It was recorded off the Goodlife Channel) and I broke it down to the following:

Season One - Missing one episode (The First)

Seasons Two to Five - All Episodes

Season Six - Missing five episodes

Seasons seven to nine - only a handful of episodes shown, one of which was the final episode.

Starting next month I'm going to purchase the official sets. I'll do seasons seven to nine first, then season six, then seasons one to five. As for the "alternates", once the official sets arrive they will all have a date with "My Little Friend" Mr. B.F. Hammerr! :biggrin: :laugh: :rolling-smiley:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Vahan_Nisanain said:
Neil, it was actually six Unsyndicated episodes of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. The original package for Syndication had 99 of the 105 episodes, as well as all 29 of its Chick spin-off The Girl from U.N.C.L.E., for a total of 128.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2/Archive-BC-IDX/67-OCR/1967-12-11-BC-OCR-Page-0039.pdf#search=%22u.n.c.l.e%20128%22

Ah, memory must going. I'm guess that the other missing show was the first one, The Vulcan Affair, which was made into the movie To Trap A Spy.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
oldtvshowbuff said:
When Suspense Theater was on Antenna TV, they must not have aired the full package, only a partial one of mainly season two episodes at that.

The original Suspense Theater package excluded the following episodes:

The Case Against Paul Ryker Parts 1 & 2 - Edited into film Sergeant Ryker

Once Upon A Savage Night

Graffiti

In Darkness Waiting Parts 1 & 2 - Edited into film Strategy of Terror

The Last Clear Chance

The current package that has aired on RTN and Antenna has additional episodes pulled out.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer

The Case Against Paul Ryker Parts 1 & 2 - Edited into film Sergeant Ryker
Once Upon A Savage Night
Graffiti
In Darkness Waiting Parts 1 & 2 - Edited into film Strategy of Terror
The Last Clear Chance

The current package that has aired on RTN and Antenna has additional episodes pulled out.
I figured music clearance issues would be the reason for that, just like Bachelor Father.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Neil Brock said:

I think that is due to the issues of no-on-hand tape masters on some episodes due to the vault fire.

oldtvshowbuff said:
I figured music clearance issues would be the reason for that, just like Bachelor Father.

I'd go as far as saying the "missing" Bachelor Father episodes is not just music issue episodes, but the same no-tape-masters-on-hand-for-all-episodes issue.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I don't think so. If you look at the details of the Bachelor Father episodes that were pulled, they all would appear to have music in them.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
A few more for the list:

Have Gun Will Travel - Last 2 seasons were not syndicated due to a lawsuit involving someone who claimed the Paladin character was based on him.

Beverly Hillbillies - The original syndication package contained seasons 1 thru 7, omitting 8 & 9. This was then amended in the 80s to eliminate the black and white seasons and contain only season 4 thru 9.

The Phil Silvers Show had 4 episodes that were not syndicated and CBS had to do new transfers for the Shout DVD set.

One Step Beyond - The only 2-parter of the series, The Peter Hurkos Story, was never syndicated. The reason could be because additional footage was shot and they were planning on and produced a never aired feature film version. I've never seen it but I do know a collector who has it.

I Love Lucy - Probably the most famous one of all. The Christmas episode, which was mainly just flashbacks, was not syndicated and was never re-broadcast until decades later.

My Three Sons - I checked an old syndication listing from the mid-80s and the color package contained 160 shows, exactly one half of season 11 in, one half out.

You Bet Your Life - Only 130 shows were included in the package out of well over 200 produced. I believe nothing earlier than 1956, most likely due to the prominent sponsor displays in back of the set which I imagine they couldn't do anything with. So it was just easier to only pick from the later episodes and besides 130 is a good number, stations can strip the show 5 days a week for 26 weeks.

You Are There - 65 syndicated, many, many more were produced.

Dean Martin Show & Flip Wilson Show - Both 80s 1-hour syndication packages contained just 26 episodes of each series.

The Avengers - The first 3 seasons, pre- Diana Rigg, were never seen in the U.S. until many years later when A&E ran the 2 Honor Blackman seasons (season one is pretty much all gone).

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Neil Brock said:
Beverly Hillbillies - The original syndication package contained seasons 1 thru 7, omitting 8 & 9. This was then amended in the 80s to eliminate the black and white seasons and contain only season 4 thru 9.
Actually it was approximately the 1st 6 1/2 seasons, at least on local TV here. A huge chunk of S7 was missing. They eventually acquired the other episodes, albeit in edited form, in the early 90's. Other stations in the area picked up the show as well (edited) and it was all 9 seasons on two different stations in this area. WGN America had the show for quite a few years as well and it was all 9 seasons. I'm not sure where you're getting that the B&W episodes were omitted.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Regarding "The FBI" did the syndication package include the episode "The Hidden Place" which never aired originally on ABC? The subject matter of treason by a Japanese-American caused the episode to be pulled.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Neil Brock said:

Once Upon A Savage Night

Someone actually turned up an o/c print and put it up on YouTube. Could it have not been included in the syndication package as it was an unsold tv pilot?

Neil Brock said:

I recall seeing a viacom trade ad from the 1980's showing TWO package for BH - one with the B&W and one Without

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I've noticed that Me-TV tends not to air the B&W episodes of shows that switched from that to color during their run, e.g. The Wild Wild West and The Man from U.N.C.L.E., but they do have them, as evidenced by Decades ( also programmed by Weigel Broadcasting) having recently aired the complete run with no skips.

As far as syndication rights are concerned, Weigel seems to have blanket rights to a number of libraries, e.g. Four Star, MGM and CBS/Viacom (or whatever their respective names are currently), so if an episode exists in video form and is legally airable, they can air it. Having said that, they do seem to air only the original syndication package of Bonanza.

Also, I noticed that on Decades, certain episodes of Dobie Gillis were skipped, and one episode of The Rogues was as well. Moreover, they only have enough time blocked out for 188 episodes of The Millionaire, which would be 19 short according to the IMDb count of 207 total.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
criblecoblis said:
I've noticed that Me-TV tends not to air the B&W episodes of shows that switched from that to color during their run, e.g. The Wild Wild West and The Man from U.N.C.L.E., but they do have them, as evidenced by Decades ( also programmed by Weigel Broadcasting) having recently aired the complete run with no skips.

Huh? Me-TV has been airing the B&W episodes of UNCLE as well as The Saint as recently as this month, and it's not the first time. They also regularly air the B&W episodes of other series that started as B&W and went to color, including Wild Wild West, F-Troop, Beverly Hillbillies, and Gilligan's Island. Maybe you're thinking of another channel?

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Neil Brock said:
You Bet Your Life - Only 130 shows were included in the package out of well over 200 produced. I believe nothing earlier than 1956, most likely due to the prominent sponsor displays in back of the set which I imagine they couldn't do anything with. So it was just easier to only pick from the later episodes and besides 130 is a good number, stations can strip the show 5 days a week for 26 weeks.
I remember when You Bet Your Life first started airing in my area (WNEW-TV N.Y.) the NBC logo on Groucho's mic was blocked out....why I dont know. Were stations syndicating this show that paranoid about showing another network's logo ?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Combat is another one, as is Petticoat Junction finally.

My Three Sons is the only big one that I never saw a B&W episode broadcast for during the two years or so I had this channel, before losing it last Fall thanks to Me-TV's Plattsburgh NY affiliate, WPTZ.

They always preempted the Me-TV feed for a couple of hours in the evening and on Saturday mornings with a feed for a channel called The CW, which airs the typical modern fair that one can find on any one of dozens of channels (And which in no way, shape, or form went together with Me-TV offerings and audience).

But Me-TV did so well for them, they split the channels up into two full time offerings last Fall. Guess which one they kept on Time Warner for upstate NY and Vermont viewers, after zero communication to their viewers while also incorrectly maintaining Me-TV for several days after the switch while the channel guide data showed CW programming (Giving the false hope that the channel feed was correct, but just the channel guide data was wrong).

The end result was no more Me-TV, the only classic tv station available here except a Westerns channel on Encore I think, that would up an already far too high cable bill.

They didn't even bother to ever reply to my email, inquiring and encouraging them to find a way to return Me-TV to TWC subscribers. Just ignored me completely...

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Dave Lawrence said:
Huh? Me-TV has been airing the B&W episodes of UNCLE as well as The Saint as recently as this month, and it's not the first time. They also regularly air the B&W episodes of other series that started as B&W and went to color, including Wild Wild West, F-Troop, Beverly Hillbillies, and Gilligan's Island. Maybe you're thinking of another channel?

Well, thanks for smartening me up. You have a much longer experience with the channel than I do, obviously. I watched through a few rotations of The WIld Wild West when it was on after The Big Valley weekdays and saw no first season episodes. At the start of the recent run of Gilligan's Island, they pointedly advertised the colorization of the first season.When they started the current run of The Man from U.N.C.L.E., the first episode they ran was in color, and I haven't checked back since. For these reasons, I saw a tendency where apparently there was none.

For this, I humbly apologize.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
criblecoblis said:
Well, thanks for smartening me up. You have a much longer experience with the channel than I do, obviously. I watched through a few rotations of The WIld Wild West when it was on after The Big Valley weekdays and saw no first season episodes. At the start of the recent run of Gilligan's Island, they pointedly advertised the colorization of the first season.When they started the current run of The Man from U.N.C.L.E., the first episode they ran was in color, and I haven't checked back since. For these reasons, I saw a tendency where apparently there was none.

For this, I humbly apologize.
I do want to mention that Me-TV does not broadcast any of the B&W episodes of Gunsmoke.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
From my own recollection, for some unknown reason their seems to be an arbitrary "line of demarcation" in sydication packages around 1980 for shows that had both color and b/w seasons. As a kid in the mid to late 70's, I vividly remember watching Jeannie, Wild Wild West, Hillbillies, UNCLE, Gilligan, Bewtitched, etc with all seasons included in the syndicated packages. All of a sudden around 1980, it appears most syndicators pulled the b/w seasons out of the syndicated packaging and ran color seasons only for many dual color/b/w shows. I remember not seeing the first season of I Dream of Jeannie in syndication from about 81 or so, until Nick At Nite began running it around 1990, same with Gilligan. About 15 years went by where I never was able to see uncolorized season1 epsiodes. I'm not sure what the rationale was with the syndicators of the time but this seemed to be common practice then IMO.

Oddly enough, the only exception to this rule in my viewing rememberences was My Three Sons. Till Nick At Nite started running the b/w episodes in the late 80's, I had never seen one b/w episode. I didn't even know Frawley had ever been on the show. They apparantly were never part of the syndicated package in the mid 70's unlike the aforementioned shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks