What's new

Enterprise (1 Viewer)

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Count me in as another incredibly confused reader of Bryan's assessment that the series finale of DS9 was a cheesy clip show of a tired seventh season of a show that was past its prime. The only truth in that entire statement is that it was, in fact a series finale, it was the seventh season and DS9 was a show. That's about it. The seventh season may very well have been DS9's best, certainly the final 10 episode story arc that wrapped everything up. Clip show? Ridiculous.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

A Grand finale for ALL Episodes!??!! ? If that was their idea of thanking fans for 40 years of watching all the Trek shows, they sure had a nice way of showing it.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I didn't say it was a 'good' grand finale. I think it was more of a "Well, this is what happens when you complain too much" ending. These fans not only screwed 'Enterprise' but any other ideas they might have had. Another - oops - moment. :)

Glenn

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone post an Enterprise finale synopsis in spoiler text for someone (like me) who gave up on Enterprise after the first season. I am curious to know how it ended that has casued so much controversy.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Here's the synopsis:It's not exactly how it ended, it was the way it was presented. We learn in the teaser that the episode takes place on the Holodeck of Enterprise D with Riker and Deanna looking at the events aboard the NX-01. Riker has a problem to resolve and looking at the recreation of the last voyage of the NX-01 was his way to figure it out. And on top of that, the problem are the events in the TNG Episode "The Pegasis" where Admiral Pressman comes on board the Enterprise to retrieve a Federation cloaking device he was developing secretly that shows up in an asteroid field. Oh, and Trip dies too.

The fans were upset because B&B use Riker and Troi to essentially hijack the episode making it a TNG episode instead of an Enterprise episode.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

No need for a spoiler. This is an excerpt from "Jammer's" review:

"The central conceit of "These Are the Voyages" is that it's actually framed as a TNG episode (I'm tempted to call it "Pegasus 1.5") in which Commander Riker looks at a holodeck program depicting the crew of the NX-01 on their final mission before the signing of the charter that will eventually form the United Federation of Planets.

The central problem with "These Are the Voyages" is that, really, this doesn't make any emotional sense as a series finale for Enterprise. Riker looks at events in order to gain insight about himself (a recommendation from Counselor Troi), and to decide what to do about the central dilemma he faced/faces in "The Pegasus." In short, he's using the NX-01 crew as a tool to resolve a personal conflict. Wouldn't it have been better for this premise to simply look back at the NX-01 crew to study it as history, as a turning point in human society? By making the show about Riker's personal problem, the show painfully short-changes the historical context of the NX-01 crew. Granted, the historical context is a focus in the episode, but it really doesn't have much to do with William Riker (or vice versa)."

Here's a link to the complete review - which does contain lots of spoilers:

http://www.jammersreviews.com/ent-4/voyages.php

Most Enterprise fans consider the preceding episode, "Terra Prime", to be the *real* final episode of Enterprise. "These Are the Voyages ..." was really constructed to be a wrap-up for all the Star Trek TV series. As such, it mostly fails.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I didn't think the finale was that terrible. Voyager's I felt was worse where the the entire series was pointed towards a single goal and we never get to see them enjoy the success of it.

And Enterprise was an okay show. I watched it all through Netflix last year and for the most part found it both enjoyable and disposeable. I doubt I'd have stayed with it if it wasn't for the franchise.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Am I Missing something?? I Completed Enterprise and I am rewatching TOS. In Enterprise, Archer and crew had a run in with the Borg. It was explained that the borg would be a future threat in the 24th Century. That explains the Borg never being mentioned or encountered in TOS. They also had a run in with the Ferengi where some Ferengi tried to steal property from Enterprise including Porthos. I don't remember any such mention of a Ferengi Threat 200 years into the future. However, the Ferengi are never mentioned or encountered in TOS. Did I miss something or did Someone on the writing Staff drop the ball ??

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

The Ferengi were never called such in the show, and for all Archer knew they were simply a couple of odd looking greedy pirates.

Blake Siefken

Stunt Coordinator
The reason The Borg were never a threat in TOS despite the fact that they were on ENT is because the events in "Regeneration" didn't happen until after the events in "First Contact", which didn't happen until after TOS. Chicken or the egg?

The justification for a lot of the so called continuity errors on Enterprise is that a lot of what happens is the result of timeline tampering from the future. The Xindi attack was never mentioned on Star Trek before because it didn't happen (the entire 3rd season takes place in a tampered timeline).

The events in all the other Trek shows; TOS, TAS, TNG, and DS9 are all un-tampered timlines, while the events in ENT are screwed up by the Temporal Cold War.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Can any Star Trek fans recommend this series to me? The 20% off sale at Deepdiscount has me wanting to finish up my Trek collection. Please note:

I Like all other Trek series(even Voyager) quite a bit. I'm not buying this set to pick apart, or to find fault in the character development. I'll be perfectly happy if most of the series contains "stand alone" episodes, where the characters find a planet help the inhabitants, and move on. Your input is appreciated:)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Year One is pretty decent; Berman & Braga seemed to recognize what the mistakes were in Voyager and taken pains to correct them in the new series.

Year Two is below average - they're falling back on the same bad habits.

Year Three is a complete disaster - they try to create a big story arc, but the whole thing is deeply, deeply stupid.

Year Four is the best Star Trek since the end of Deep Space Nine. Sure, there's only 19 episodes of it - the opening two-parter is tying up the previous mess and the finale was so ill-conceived that the cast was calling it appalling in interviews before the show was cold in its grave. But Paramount put Manny Coto in charge and he hired Gar & Judy Reeves-Stevens; the season was a series of tight arcs that happily pandered to the longtime Trekkie with an emphasis on TOS.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Season 4 is outstanding (minus the finale, of which you may have read). I'd go so far as to say essential Star Trek viewing.

Hey, any word on price drops for the Enterprise sets? Seems like it's been long enough.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

That's too bad about season 4 being great and then the series gets cancelled. If it got that good, It would be better if it lasted 3 more!
I haven't heard about any price drops, but at Deepdiscount the price for the complete series is $254.05(after 20% off code) so that's why I'm interested in it!

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Yes the final espisode was a diaster ,a disgrace and a slap in the face by paramount to long term fans of star trek , that been said other than the last episode season four of enterprise is very watchable, it was the long boring ratings killing season three that killed the show off. Season 4 limp along in the rating gutter but the cowards at paramount didnt tell the producers soon enough to have a decent finalle so we got the god awful final episode, with the fatso 10 year after comander riker and consular cleavage:thumbsdown: Watch the fourth season , but forget the last episode it a sad joke:angry: :thumbsdown: :frowning:

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yep, the final episode was a disaster all right. It was meant for everybody that complained about the series. Whoever you are, you really, really, screwed it u.

It is inconsistant between seasons because of complaints.
Unfortunately, B&B listened to them. Whatever kind of a 7 year plan they had, thanks to the complainers, we will never know.

You guys ruined it - so shut up!

Glenn

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Huh? The show simply wasn't very good in its first three years. Why should long time fans not complain?

And if Berman and Braga's "seven year plan" looked anything like the first three years of Enterprise or the seven years of Voyager, we didn't miss anything. Now, if you put Manny Coto in charge from day one...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks