What's new

ENTERPRISE renewed (all discussion here please!) (1 Viewer)

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
That's alright, he's still on ER and West Wing. Could pick up more prominence on each of those shows easily. Busiest guy on TV?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it's just the TV that I watch, but I always think of Daniel Dae Kim as the busiest guy on TV; he seems to have had recurring roles on roughly a dozen shows (including Enterprise) in the last few years. Gonna be weird seeing him limited to Lost in the fall.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Unless, the show does well. ;)

I just read at www.trektoday.com that Braga is going to be stepping back from Enterprise next season and let some others do more. He says it is because he doesn't think he could do better than this season. I think it is because he was told so by the Paramount execs.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I've said before - Enterprise having to justify its existence on a yearly basis like any other TV show is a good thing.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Chris wrote (post #64):

Based on anything that's come before, don't count on the show doing "well enough" with the "demographic" they're seeking on UPN. It'll take a whole lot more than a "pop"-vocal theme song and a few t's and a's.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

And I'd add that by putting the show on Friday night, UPN is assuring that it will not do well.

Good news about Braga stepping aside. Maybe Berman will too.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And after that 22nd episode next year, let's hope Paramount does the right thing and let this thing rest -- for ten years. I agree with Ronald D. Moore that you need to let a desire to see Star Trek again take hold. (And I think a similar moratorium on feature films should also go into effect -- no more of this "prequel" nonsense, please.)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I wonder, could the "prequel" that Berman mentioned be the project that JMS was (not) referring to when he took the 5th at his recent con appearance?

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
According to TrekToday, Manny Coto will be Enterprise's "showrunner" during season 4 as Brannon Braga steps back.

This is the best news I've heard yet!!!

The Xindi storyline got me to watch the 2nd season finale and the first 1/3 of season 3, but my impression was that it was too little, too late. While the 3 species of DS9's Dominion each had a specific purpose, the 5 species of Xindi looked like 5 different makeup jobs sitting around a conference table. Switching the shows format from TNG-lite to DS9-lite didn't work, in my opinion.

Hopefully, Mr. Coto will lead the show in a bold new direction. :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Thought this was interesting...
FromTV guide.

Question:
What I think is wrong with Enterprise is that it is too politically correct. The original Star Trek had Kirk and crew doing things that were not correct, albeit that it was a few years ago, before correctness crept in. They should have a story about how the Prime Directive came into being, that is to say, Archer (or a minor crew member) starts an interplanetary war that kills millions before Starfleet can correct it. The gathering of several planets to correct what Archer (or a crew member) did could be the starting foundation of the Federation as it will be shown in another episode. Think of Mayweather's family members as the Kit Carson of their time, going into the wilderness to trade with the Indians (Native Americans) as Kit Carson and Jim Bridger and other fur traders did, starting the primary exploration of the American West. They met friends and hostile Indians. Archer and crew going in embracing the Vulcan philosophy of noninterference is not dramatic. Gene Roddenberry created Star Trek as a Wagon Train to the stars. Where is the circling of the wagons? Where are the "hostiles" besides the Xindi? Klingons are friendly? Get back to Gene's reality of pre-Star Trek since this is where the episodes take place. — Dewey

Matt:
Again, I got a little lost in the details here, but I found this argument persuasive. Enterprise as a prequel had an opportunity not just to establish early Trek history in a fresh and provocative manner but to present space exploration in a way that, even more than the short-lived Firefly, could have felt like a rough-and-tumble cosmic Western. The third season at least felt like an epic adventure, which was an enormous improvement. But in the big picture of things, Enterprise still feels to me to be underthought and uninspired.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Next week's TV Guide is also reporting that Paramount cut the cost for UPN of Enterprise episodes from $1.7 million each to $800,000. That's a huge hit for the studio to take, but the article said they want four seasons of the show for syndication. Based on that, and the Friday death sentence time slot, I'd bet that season 4 is the last for Enterprise.

AndreGB

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting to notice different "cultures". :) Here Friday and Saturday nights (21hs or 9pm) are the absolute prime time for TVs.

Enterprise and Andromeda are broadcast Friday's 8pm (Andromeda) and 9pm (Enterprise). Saturday 9pm is reserved for hot movie releases. ;)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
We will probably hear if Season 4 is enterpries last about half way through. Manny Coto is supposed to be taking charge of things over there and if anyone can turn things around its him. Lets all hope

capt

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Yes, after reading the TV Guide story, I'm sure it will be Enterprise's last. I doubt will see the birth of the Federation, but it has still been a pretty good ride and I think the show has improved a lot with the big Xindi story arc. Funny though, how B&B act like they invented the big arc for Enterprise. I guess they don't remember a little something called The Dominion War on DS9.

And for those that think Enterprise could never hold a candle to the other Trek series... try watching a few of the early episodes of TNG. "When the Bough Breaks" or "Home Soil" anyone?

No, it hasn't been the best Trek has ever been, but I have a feeling I'm gfonna miss it when its gone anyway. Still, the last 17 years have been pretty good to Trek fans.

Ric

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Hopefully we get some kind of Birth of the Federation and the Prime Directive next year since that is what the show was suppose to be about in the first place.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Hopefully we get some kind of Birth of the Federation and the Prime Directive next year since that is what the show was suppose to be about in the first place.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, Ric, with the utmost respect to you, I disagree. The past nine or so years nearly yanked me out of the parts of the franchise that I do love. (To wit: In times past, I could watch TOS/TNG/DS9 with abandon; they were evergreens that I was always in the mood for. But with too much exposure to Voyager and then Enterprise, I came close to losing interest in any of the Trek incarnations.)

At any rate, this all follows a pattern similar to TOS's demise: In the third and final season, the series' budget was slashed -- and it was moved to the Friday 9 p.m. graveyard slot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks