What's new

Enterprise 2002-10-16: you'll have to make up your own minds on this one. (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the exercise room scene was intended to show off T'Pol's orbs. They really didn't make any effort to draw attention to them. It seemed they were just trying to show the competitiveness Archer was displaying against T'Pol, and T'Pol's awareness that he was acting like an idiot. They could have dressed her in a skimpy exercise outfit but they did not, they provided contrast for the dream sequences I suppose.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
I really enjoyed the episode, I think Phlox is definitely one of the best characters on the show :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it's just my human conditioning, but if some alien "dog" came to my planet, and pissed on my sacred tree (thus, from my POV, defiling it), maybe, just maybe I would want to be rid of that particular pissed on tree (because I'm easily offended based on the culture of my planet/society), otherwise, from my POV, it would contaminate the rest of the trees' sacredness.

And if the alien dog's owner badly wanted something of ours, and I felt very slighted by the dog offending the sacredness of the tree, why wouldn't I want that pissed on tree removed, and if I could make the dog owner actually strip bare-chested, talked in some whacked language, and chop up the tree manually to appease me because they want that trinket for their drive engines, why wouln't I make the dog owner capitulate for the dog's pissing offense.

I don't even know why it's all that important if the tree that Archer chopped up was the same tree that Porthos pissed on or not.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well I liked it. We got a lot more character development, especially of Archer and Phlox.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Patrick Sun wrote:
Presumably, it is important to the natives, and, frankly, this bit of anthropological nugae is the one and only point of serious interest in the whole episode. Everything else is fluff, fluff, fluff (at best).

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Everything else is fluff, fluff, fluff (at best)
And that's exactly what this episode was all about. Just one gigantic fluff piece. The writers didn't have enough stories for the season and decided to create something over the top just to fill in an hour of time. It took me a while to figure this one out until I saw something similar on the evening news. What do you do when you have no more serious news items? Add a fluff piece. About as nourishing as a Big Mac.

As for the age of the tree debate, a bonsai can live for hundreds of years, yet still fit in a teeny tiny pot.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Looks like tonight's rerun of Shockwave, Part II will be longer than the original broadcast, with over a minute of restored footage that was originally cut out by UPN in order to put more ads in. Read about it Link Removed.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
An average episode. If the writing for Archer doesn't change he'll surely have to put up with a mutiny from the crew. Would anyone that dumb and culturally insensitive be give the captaincy of Enterprise?

Phlox is the best character hands down.

I got the feeling that if this was a TOS or a TNG episode we would have seen more of the aliens and been presented with more information on their POV. I guess B&B thought the inane dog in distress story was better.

Jason S,

Fire up an Andromeda thread. It's still my favourite show of it's type on TV. I happen to like Captain Hercules. At least he has balls and actually commands from time to time.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Fire up an Andromeda thread. It's still my favourite show of it's type on TV. I happen to like Captain Hercules. At least he has balls and actually commands from time to time.
Can't honestly do it any more; the show's dead to me. I think it was reading the interview where Sorbo actually came out and said he wanted to use Harper more as an Iolaus character that was the last straw, and how they were just basically going to ignore the rich background that made the first year and a half so much fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks