What's new

Enterprise 2/6/02 (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought Enterprise was fun, but it didn't really say anything! (The politcial intrigue is good. Shades of DS9 and that's a good thing.)

But it was just about the Andorian (Re-Animator!) who wanted to even the score with Archer and T'Pol who is accused to destroying the monestary. (And an excuse to get Archer and T'Pol close again. I saw the awkward moment)

I thought we were going to learn more about the Coridens (SP?) or the civil war there. Also, the Vulcan's sure are not the people we know, B&B are really pushing it by showing how far they've advanced between then and Kirk's time. The trip to Coriden seemed to be meant as backdrop for this episode. Maybe later episodes will cover Coriden. Or was it a throw away plot just to show that before Kirk's time, we knew of them. Come to think of it, I don't really want to know about Coriden that much, the events depicted were fun, but I felt it was some B plot that never materialized, so it kept me wondering. I half expected the Tellerites to be down there in the shoot out too.

Nelson

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
Re: time travel- it's a staple of science fiction. Expect plenty of episodes about revolutionary technology, mistaken identities, alien invasions, Prime Directive-type issues, medical drama, etc. That's just Trek.
This is sadly what Trek has become over the past couple of years. Trek used to be about human/political interests, common people coming together to accomplish uncommon results, exploration, imposing our moral standards on other civilizations :) , etc...
-ikiru

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
ikiru,
Couple of great posts there. :emoji_thumbsup: You have managed to say exactly what my thoughts are on recent treks.
On the time travel bit I seem to remember that there was even a joke on Voyager about how often Janeways ship buggered up the space time continum.
Enterprise was not supposed to be just another trek, Hence they shouldn't be using the old, tired plot crutches.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Right on, Ikiru. Sadly, Enterprise is becoming more-and-more a retread of recent Star Trek series. And retreading the abyssmal crap that was "Voyager" should be a criminal offense.
Last night's episode was OK, anything with Jeffrey Combs gets pushed up a notch merely by his presence. It's such a relief for one of his characters to turn up in this wasteland of dull, dull, dull stock "Trek" characters. I only wish he was a member of the crew instead of a guest star. :frowning:
Anyway, a person on another forum put it very well about last night's episode. Could you imagine an episode from the original series with Kirk tied up for most of the episode? Archer needs a kick in the pants or a shove through the nearest airlock.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Ok if you could overlook the T'Pol/Archer Groping, this was a pretty good episode. It starts off with a reference to a the TOS Ep "Journey to Babel" and then proceedes to dabbel in the political structure of the 22nd century. Not a bad thing if thisshow is to lead in to the forming of the Federation.

Initially I was taken aback by Enterprise's Depiction of Vulcans. At first it seems to contradict what TOS and the Movies have told us about Vulcans a deeply spiratual people who above all else were Pacifists. While that's not totally untrue in Enterprise, theyare a bit more militeristic with SWAT Teams and All. But this may not be all of the Vulcan people, Space is a dangerous place and a truely pacifistic people would be conquered by now. It makes sense they'd have a command structure to prevent that. Vulcans are being explored more now than even in TOS. But TOS had touched upon "Vulcan Trickery" as Mccoy Put it in "Amok Time". THe Vulcans so far in Enterprise are closer to T'Pring than Spock. But Spock was Half Human, and we've seen Serek and others that are more Arrogent than accepting. Remember Serek would not speak to Spock for 18 years due to his joining Starfleet against his wishes.

Enterprise is Dabbling more into the politcal DS9 type stories, thante Standalone and trite Voyager.And that's a good thing. I like this crew muchmore than I liked any of Janeway's clan. They like DS9's characters seem more like real people than once again Voyager.

I like Jeffery Combs and his andorian character of Shran is a welcome recurring one. Archer Even gets to do a patented "Kirk" backward Leg drop.And he's fighting back more and getting beaten on less. Hell in the First Few Eps Porthos could've beaten his ass.

I'm a bit dismayed they are doing somesort of time distortion ep already. This ep from the previews looks disturbingly like the Voyager Ep when that ship was frozen in time and ICe. I hope it's more than that.

Enterprise is getting my attention and that's always a good thing.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, you're right, it was Trip and T'Pol who were initially set up as potential mates, and that was in the very first decontamination scene where he just couldn't resist touching her ears, even though he thought he hated Vulcans. He's trying hard to overcome his racism or whatever it is, and that may eventually lead to him admitting he is attracted to her.

I don't think he has a chance in the world (unless female Vulcans also get that Pon'far thing) but it could happen, since they're not on the world...

Though he might be concerned he might get pregnant again.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
I must say that for a race of non-emotional people just about every episode has the vulcans expressing some form of emotion instead of purely logical behavior. With exception to Spock, he was void of emotion even in emotional circumstances. T'Pol isn't far behind though, she needs to get here emotions that show disgust, arrogance, and frustration under check, I keep epecting her to roll her eyes or something. As for the rest of the vulcans something need to be done as there not behaving very vulcan like.

And I can't say I agree with the new idea that the Vulcans are a deceptive, devious, lying society that in thousands of years only one race has found this out and has a problem with it. Not sure I like this element of the series.

Unfortunatly T-Pol is hot and the show is interesting to watch.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
I really enjoyed the episode, but the whole boob thing was kinda stupid. Always enjoy Jeffrey Combs.

one other thing, time travel? are we all watching the same promo for next week?

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Based on comments on this thread and what I have heard before, is it possible that B&B are attempting to make their own TOS? There was talk of re-doing the old series again to make it more up to date. I also heard that is what B&B would have liked to do instead. Maybe this is the closest they have to doing what they really wanted. Of course, it would be foolish to think, but maybe this series will replace the original series as the true beginning? History through the eyes of B&B?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well how could it replace TOS when Tos did'nt cover the beginnings of the Federation?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, even though I've been following this phenomenon since 1966, I had always thought I was partial to TNG. But, lately, I've been screening all my TOS DVDs in chronological order. That, and my general pleasure with Enterprise, makes me regard TNG as kind of pompous at times.
But that will change when the TNG DVDs are released. :)

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I have to agree with most of you and say that it was an okay episode. It was good to see Jeffrey Combs (a.k.a "Weyoun") in this episode.

Initially I was taken aback by Enterprise's Depiction of Vulcans.....Space is a dangerous place and a truely pacifistic people would be conquered by now.
This is exactly the conclusion I came to. A "good" example of this is the Thermians on Galaxy Quest. There is no way the Vulcans would have made it if they told everyone the truth all the time and let everyone push them around.

For some reason they are not showing the previews of the next episode on my local station. But I'm looking forward to it anyway.

Jon

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I agree with TOS being pompous at times but it gets away with it, in my eyes, because it did it with style and flourish. Everything was bright, larger than life, and grand, and the TOS characters, especially Kirk, fit that mold.

With Enterprise on the other hand, I don't feel a sense of style. Everything has a darker edge but, for me, the characters, especially Archer, don't reflect this. T'Pol seems depressing just for the sake of being depressing. She reminds me of Marvin the robot from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The two characters I do enjoy are Tripp and the doctor. That security officer is literally useless.

Speaking about security, I wish, for once, they would follow a realistic military operating procedure. Why they keep letting Archer put himself into danger as first man off the ship I'll never know. Such behavior fit Kirk's brash, swashbuckling attitude, but it need not be carried out by every captain in Starfleet history.

DonWinzen

Stunt Coordinator
What's wrong with the rest of you? Who cares what happens between T'Pol and Archer? If most of you are like me, you simply wish it was yourself that landed in that position with her. Either that or your taste runs more to Trip :)

Sexual tension has always been a part of the Star Trek franchise. And that is the only reason they picked the actress with the ummm credentials that T'Pol has.

Nuff said!

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
A few posts ago, someone mentioned how Saavik seemed different from other Vulcans. Am I just imagining things, or wasn't Saavik supposed to be a Vulcan/Romulan mixed orphan that Spock rescued from a refugee camp or something..??

Mike

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
Mike Hueter:

You are correct, sir! Saavik is indeed half Romulan.

JonB:

I suffer from the same malady—my local station doesn't show the previews either. It's probably because they're not a UPN affiliate, so they axe the previews in order to air more lame local ads. Yeesh!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks