What's new

Enterprise 2/6/02 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I literally LOL when Archer landed on his backside, and his head was buried T'Pol's breastage. Sometimes it's good to be the captain! After that, I don't remember much of the rest of the episode. :)
Discuss amongst yourselves.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Great freakin' episode. Political intrigue, civil wars, Vulcans and Andorians- a healthy brew of problems and challenges. I liked it a lot; possibly the best one so far.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I liked it also. But the previews for next week were severley disturbing. B&B just couldn't even wait for the finale for some time travel. I could be wrong here but not of the alternatives are that much better.

Dan M~

Second Unit
Yes, good show. Lots of dilemmas (and ah... personnel matters) to deal with. Next week scares me.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You have to love the way N'Pol will answer in ways that require the person to make assumptions upon her answers.
BTW, I wonder how long it took them to shoot the "all-tied-up with nowhere to go" scene with N'Pol and Archer. :)

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I really enjoyed last night's episode. I had good political intrigue, the mythology of the series was furthered, and it related to events which took place earlier in the season. I'm rather anxious to see how the cessation of combined Vulcan/Earth fleet operations will affect things. Will the Vulcans abandon Earth entirely, I wonder? It should be very interesting to see this play out. And you know what, for people who are responsible for "ruining Trek" who should either be banned from the Paramount lot or covertly assassinated depending on who you talk to, Berman and Braga have certainly done a bang-up job getting this show going.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Oh, and about next week's episode, Dominic Keating (who plays Malcolm Reed on the show) has repeatedly spoken of his pride in doing it. Hopefully his pride is not misplaced. It could wind up being a wonderful ep from what I've read about it. We'll see.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The episode had its ups and downs--and, so help me, this ongoing process of creating a kinder, gentler T'Pol reeks of studio cynicism. By that, I mean this: I keep getting the impression that Paramount is still trying to sell us on the Enterprise concept. This entire block of new episodes has centered around on getting us to love this crew.

And the thing is: It's working. I'm buying into the cynicism. I'll stick with the show throughout its seven-year run as a result.

As for the episode, I liked the Starfleet/Vulcan tensions. And I liked the interplay among the Enterprise crew. I did not like the political-intrigue aspects as much for the simple reason we've had so much of the very same thing in TNG. Here, so early on in Earth's interstellar adventure, it seems a bit forced.

One plus, however: the Andorians are being fleshed out nicely--more than they ever had a chance back during the TOS days.

So, I liked last night's episode--but I resent how I was "forced" to like it.

Make sense?

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
[ rant ]

I felt the episode was average at best. I really like learning more about the andorians. Im not sure Im ready for an Archer-T'pol love interest yet. I just find it annoying that every time a male and female character is on a show, they have to fall in love. Its Enterprise, not 90210 for crying out loud!

In addition, there was no real resolution for a lot of the issues that went on during the episode. What about the civil war? Its not like I want to see it wrapped up in one episode, but at least reference it at the end. It was like it never happened. Also, didnt the Andorians have advanced weapons? Couldnt they supply the rebels with weapons?

I have another beef about whats going on. I really dont like the way the Vulcans are being played. There was way too much pride and anger going on for me to believe that this is the race that gave up emotions for logic. Would Spock have reacted in the same way as these "Vulcans"? Also, vulcans are void of emotions, however, they are not borg. I find the portrayal of T'pol and Seven of Nine (from voyager) to be similar. Even Spock showed a bit of inquisitive-ness when he was stumped, that was the whole deal with the raising of one eyebrow thing.

I do like "Trip". In fact, I think he would have probably would have made a better captain than archer.

I hope the next episode doesnt deal with time travel. I think the one thing that ruined Star Trek was the whole idea of time travel.

[ /rant ]

-ikiru

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Good post, Ikiru! I agree with your points about the Vulcans as portrayed in the series. You can feel their repressed anger and contempt for us smelly humans.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Im not sure Im ready for an Archer-T'pol love interest yet.
This never happened, nor was it even implied.

Vulcans:

Everytime Trek discussion happen, people complain about how prideful and arrogant Vulcans are, and how they're not supposed to be that way. But they've always been that way. Spock and his father were like that, up through Tuvoc. So what's the problem? Every Vulcan on the show isn't a "real" Vulcan? I don't get it.

Vulcans do have emotions- much stronger than humans. They just try to suppress thenm all the time. And just because T'Pol says they aren't proud, doesn't make it so. In fact, that's the whole point: they are proud.

Time travel:

This is something that has also been a part of Trek from the beginning. Most people agree that the episode where Spock, Kirk, and McCoy meet up with a peacenik chick in the 30s is one of the best episode. Well, that was time travel. Trek has always had time travel.

To say that time travel and emotional Vulcans "ruin" the show doesn't make much sense, unless you feel that Trek was always ruined.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I think the Archer-T'Pol thing could be interesting. Humans and Vulcans did get together somewhere along the line (AKA Spock) and this is the first time the two have been in a position that would allow it to happen.

I don't know if that is where they are going with the story but I can see it working. Lets face it, if you put a bunch of people on a small ship and make them work together closely it will happen. It would always happen in the real world so why not in Trek.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Won't be able to see this until saturday. So I skipped what you guys had to say until then.

I have one question. According to the Star Trek website it says that Dr. Phlox is a Denobulan, why does he look like a Cardassian?

Jon

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
To say that time travel and emotional Vulcans "ruin" the show doesn't make much sense, unless you feel that Trek was always ruined.

Star Trek was fine until Paramount decided that it had a real financial empire to protect and stopped taking chances with the characters and the trek universe. Time travel seems to be the easiest way "fix" things that get broken.

-ikiru

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
(Disclaimer - due to slipping into full-on 'geek mode' and having my head buried in HTML, CSS, and PERL code last night while working on my website, I completely forgot to watch Enterprise, so I missed this episode. That said...)
This is something that has also been a part of Trek from the beginning. Most people agree that the episode where Spock, Kirk, and McCoy meet up with a peacenik chick in the 30s is one of the best episode. Well, that was time travel. Trek has always had time travel.
This however, I've got some issues with. The Guardian on the Edge of Forever (was that the episode name, or merely the name of the gateway entity itself?) is an excellent episode not merely because of the time travel aspect, but because of the script as a whole and the performances in that episode. I do think that time travel has become something of a trap that the writers are falling into - heck, have fallen into. I (and many other Trek fans, I think) believe that it has been used far to often as a plot device.
On the one hand, it's a very easy to use - you've got the dual possibilities of familiar characters in unfamiliar situations (which can be used for either dramatic [Guardian] or comedic [A Piece of the Action] purposes), and you've got the ability to bring other familiar faces from the other ST shows in as cameos (I can't think of any obvious examples other than Trials and Tribulations off the top of my head, but I'm sure they're there). However, I think there are far to many problems with continuing to use this concept (and it's one of my primary worries with this 'Temporal Cold War' that seems to be an important, if so far barely touched on, premise of Enterprise).
A couple just off the top of my head - First off, is time travel easy or difficult? Depending on the writer's moods at the time, it seems to be completely random. Sometimes it takes the expenditure of huge amounts of energy, sometimes it just takes a slingshot around a star to get enough speed, and sometimes it just takes clicking your ruby slippers together three times! Secondly - and more worrisome - is the possibility of paradoxes, alternate timelines, and the like. The powers that be are already walking a fine line with many Trek fans obsessed with canon who are tracking Enterprise for the smallest detail that might conflict with what's already been established in the series (just why is it that the NX-01 isn't displayed in Picard's display of Enterprises? Sure, realistically, it's because nobody knew that there would be an NX-01 - but some people obsess over these things). When you then add in the posibility of creating pardoxes and alternate timelines, it's not too far fetched to wonder if the Enterprise series resolution will be some twisted take on the Dallas 'dream' scenario where Archer, Trip, and T'Pol screw things up so badly that the only solution is to muck with the timeline and erase the NX-01 from existance in the primary timeline (which, incidentally, would explain why the NX-01 isn't dipslayed in Picard's display...:laugh: )!
Anyway...as far as the Vulcans go, yeah, I think a lot of people need to lighten up. But time travel? Let's just see where a linear timeline takes us for a while.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've gotten the vibe that it would be Tripp and T'Pol that would eventually be hooking up. Tripp is the overly expressive one, and T'Pol is the overly inexpressive one. Opposites "attract".
Archer love Porthros too much to introduce a female into the equation. :)

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
I also do not like how Vulcan's are now characterized when one considers Spock. Spock had so much more depth. He was a noble Vulcan without the cynicism and outright contempt for humans that the vulcan's on this show seem to display at times. He found human's actions puzzling, but he had respect for the indiviudual. Sarek, his father, was much the same. Of course, this could be attributed to his Mother's affect on them. There was also a tremendous amount of growth in his character if you consider the arc of his character from "The Cage" (or Menagerie) thru the feature films. I do feel that the portrayl of Vulcans on the show is not what Rodenberry ever had in mind. Anybody have Leonard's number? I'd love to hear his toughts on this!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I also do not like how Vulcan's are now characterized when one considers Spock
Now you're comparing a major character to minor, incidental characters. Of course Spock will have more "depth:" he had 3 seasons to create that depth.

Re: time travel- it's a staple of science fiction. Expect plenty of episodes about revolutionary technology, mistaken identities, alien invasions, Prime Directive-type issues, medical drama, etc. That's just Trek.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks