What's new

Enterprise 1/14/04 (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Saw we still didn't have a thread for this. And my TV Guide says tonight is a 'new' episode. Is that wrong? And if it is correct, mods feel free to turn this into the weekly Enterprise thread.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It has not aired yet for most of us. But I'm sure this will become the official thread for 'Chosen Realm', this week's first new episode of 2004.

There are early review links on Trekweb, but I'll wait till tonight to see myself.

Nelson

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I've always enjoyed Enterprise (I know that saying that doesn't make me very popular around here, but I don't give a crap about popularity! :D), and tonights episode was OK in my book. Not the best Enterprise, but entertaining nonetheless.

In all, an interesting commentary on the effects of religion & the way it generates conflict among people (note: I'm *not* starting a religious debate here! :) ). A couple of the plot points were obviously inspired by some of today's more controversial topics (Suicide bombers, etc.) and I'm sure could generate some conversation on a forum other than this one. Episodes like "Chosen Realm" are difficult to discuss here or among the culturally sensitive because of the topics that it could evoke.

One plot-point I do want to nit-pick on though. The head-religious-leader-guy (name forgotten) took the time to read through Archer's logs, so I find it very hard to believe that not once did he recognize the Transporters from the logs. It's not like they haven't been used in the past 3 years, so I'm sure there was frequent mention of them in there.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to next week's episodes now that we're out of re-run's-ville.

Moe.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
An okay episode with some subtle allusions to things going on here on Earth today. A bit of a let down after such a long hiatus for the Holidays.

There is a rather blatant nod to TOS, 9 verses 10. As one reviewer already said, there's a strong resemblance to Let That Be Your Last Battlefield.

I did enjoy the clever way Archer convinced the zeolots of their execution device, or disintegration chamber. And there is a very cool tracking shot where the camera passes over the rear of Enterprise revealing what looked like large hanger doors facing the rear. The visual effects continue to excel.

The main thing that made the show weak to me, aside from the story, was the make up job. It reminded too much of Voyager aliens or TNG aliens. The 'old-bumps-on-the-nose-trick', but then it's hard to keep doing those full face make up jobs I'm sure.

It will be interesting to see how they address what the lead zeolot did, perhaps T'Pol made a back-up. Oh yeah, one huge continuity problem here. In Kirk's time, Scotty made a big deal about the difficulty of intraship beaming. Perhaps T'Pol is a crack shot.

Nelson

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

Ya see, thats what Trek is these days is just ok. Sure its not the worst Television but it's just ok and thats why I stopped watching it. I am tired of it being mediore.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
only thing i didn't like was.....

how the ships attacked them, but then archer said he was in control, then they left, and then when they got to the home planet, the planet was destroyed and looked like hardly anyone lived, so where did the 4 space ships come from?

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
Wow only one thread crap so far. :angry: The show must be improving. :)

Nelson and others, there are spoilers in your posts. I do not think they are spoilers when taken independently but when reading about the transporter not being discovered in the logs then your post about convincing the intruders of the existence of their disintegration device, well, that's a pretty big spoiler for me. I have it on PVR.

Sorry to single you out, I do not do that as a habit on these heah fora. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Ivan, I thought the rule here was that once a show airs, it's not necessary to place spoiler tags. My comments usually are fairly vague to not reveal too much.

I didn't think it was crap. I felt it had a pretty good set-up, some commentary on current affairs on Earth and the second half had a lot of exciting action.

Nelson

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I had the understanding that spoilers were allowed, and anyone reading any of these before they saw it knew that the plot could be ruined. You'll have to admit that by Thursday, it has aired just about anywhere, and if you Tivo/taped it you're too busy anyway. :)

Glenn

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron

She better have made one! You can't afford to lose that kind of critical information. If a daily backup was performed, the only data they would have most likely lost would be the shuttlepod data which they could have easily recovered from the pod's computers.

Not only do we do daily full backups at our office, I also back up our key software package on my USB key just to be safe. It's a standard and compulsory procedure I hope the show's writers are smart enough to incorporate in the storyline later on.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

or keeping the data lost to show that the writers are not looking for the easiest way to resolve the conflict.

Some of the best stories are the most flawed in terms of their resolution. My opinion is that most good stories show that not everything can be packaged & delivered with all conflicts resolved. In this case, Archer & co. will have to find alternate sources of information on the spheres, which puts them right back to square 1 & back into danger.

Moe.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
I thought the episode was "ok" but the occasional holes and problems just made it not that great.

1. When is Archer going to finally say "screw you" when it comes to ships/people in trouble? Seems like all it brings is another group wanting to take over the ship.

2. Granted Archer had no other way to go but by transporter. And the argument could be made that at least he had a chance of survival - which of course we all know he would.

3. In light of #1 above perhaps it's time to tell people/ships in trouble that we will send someone or we will transport your Captain, Chief Priest, Big Giant Head over to our ship and discuss your needs but no coming to our ship en masse to take us over.

4. Was I mistaken in that they had to use the metal badges on their vests to make the explosive work? Perhaps a more "interesting" plot alternative would be that if you want your people to come on this ship they better be naked!

Guess if we eliminate some of the above then the writers would have to write "good" stories instead of mediocre ones.

Mike Breeden

Agent
My problem with this episode was the fact that they let these people wander the ship with no supervision. They let them into critical areas of the ship without any hesitation.
You would think they would have learn there lesson in Rajin (sp)episode. You can still be polite and nice but keep then in a area that is not critical to the ship's function.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
For Enterprise in particular, I skim to get the all-clear that the episode Did Not Suck, to help decide whether to watch it.

I still say that spoilers are a good idea if you mention anything in the previews for the next episode, since they often give stuff away, and some people avoid them on principle.

//Ken

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I saw the previews and had read about next week's episode, "Proving Ground". I'm looking forward to that. Any Star Trek show where Jeffrey Combs guest stars is going to be good! I will speak no further to avoid spoiling anything. ;)

Nelson

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I rather enjoyed this one. I liked the zealots...but at the end I was looking for guys that were half-black/half-white. ;) The leader was rather creepy. All smiles as he justifies the killing of a child. Gah.

Good use of the transporter. ;)

I *DO* hope they stop letting the ship get taken over though! It's gone far past ridiculous...and was basically the only thing in THIS episode that made me grind my teeth...well, that and T'Pol *NOT* using the nerve pinch to subdue the guys around her.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I hate to look like I'm trying to keep this thread going with another post, but I found the following article interesting from Trekweb. It makes one wonder how ratings numbers are actually tabulated and processed when there's such a disparity between different ratings companies.

There's also a comment from Mediaweek's Marc Berman in response to a fan, not to be confused with Rick Berman of Enterprise. The tone of his prognostications for the series are not so pitch black at least. For the actual site: www.trekweb.com

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve

If I'm not mistaken, the zealots that hijacked Enterprise had a symbol on one side of their face and the captain of the "heretics'" ship had the same symbol on the opposite side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks