1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

ENTERPRISE 1/08/'03: "Dawn"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rex Bachmann, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    John Co wrote:

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Roxanne directs, eh?

This sounds like a really, really original idea, I must say. Can't wait. I'm going to plan my whole day around this episode. Thanks, Rex.

3. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Well Tripp's my fav char, (so much like MCCoy), so it may not be all bad.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, Shiban did do pretty well with the minefield one. I haven't been too impressed with Mrs. Dawson, though; she directed the one directly after, which was just missing something - it wasn't creepy enough. Although I guess that fits in with the B&B-era way of being bland because being exciting might make someone uncomfortable.

(Idly notes that most of the visually distinctive and interesting shows on TV have a director among their producers, and Enterprise sure as heck doesn't).

5. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

[​IMG] What a great show![​IMG]

6. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    Jason Seaver wrote:

7. Jack Briggs

But, Rex, there were some gems in those first two seasons. "Conspiracy" ... "The Measure of a Man" ... "We'll Always Have Paris" (well, I like that episode) ... and some others.

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

And, y'know, that early TNG may have been bland character-wise, but it's when they pulled out their more interesting science-fictional ideas. I doubt the current group has a crystalline entity or early Borg (back when they were badass, an intelligent cancer on a galactic scale - hell, back when the Borg was an it rather than a they) in them.

I mean, as goofy as some of the first couple years of TNG was, the producers were at least trying to excite the audience. Roddenberry, the Strangis-es, Tracy Tormé, Melinda Snodgrass, etc., didn't have the completely conservative, don't-rock-the-boat attitude B&B have exemplified the past few years.

9. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Screenwriter

Francois Caron
    My opinion on the episode "Dawn"?
    They should have renamed it "Yawn"! [​IMG]

10. Jack Briggs

Canada is officially HTF's early-warning Enterprise system.

And in some ways, even the goofiest early-season TNGs have a way of endearing themselves to (some) viewers. Then, again, one can say the same thing about third-season TOS. It's all a matter of perspective.

Still, I don't see how much of the post-DS9 offerings are going to be remembered with similar fondness.

11. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    Jason Seaver wrote:
    Indeed, "Conspiracy" is almost the lone exception that proves the rule for Season One. As I remember, there was supposed to have been some negative fan reaction to the effect that the episode was "too violent for Star Trek". Most of the rest in that first season, however, was bland, bland, bland (which is not necessarily to say uninteresting).

12. Jack Briggs

I remember the controversy about that episode being "too violent" and gruesome. Man, was it ever good.

13. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

I'm starting to feel like Wile E Coyote. What is it that compels me to watch this show week after week? Is it some form of macabre curiosity or do I feel violent ill will towards myself for some reason?
    To sum up, not a very good episode. It's one which sets out to do nothing new and succeeds.

14. BradG

BradG Stunt Coordinator

I enjoyed the episode...however, I will say that it was VERY similar to the TNG episode "Darmok". But then, I enjoyed that episode as well, so it makes sense that I would like "Dawn".

A good episode does not need to have elaborate space battles to be interesting.

15. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

16. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Won't be seeing it tonight, Maryland is playing so it got preempted.

Jason

17. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You know, I came to this thread to comment that it seemed like an Enemy Mine rip. Guess other people noticed too [​IMG]

18. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

We've been Trek fans since forever, but tonight, my wife and I passed it up for Ed after the first 5 minutes of Enterprise. It's also officially off of our recording schedule.

Our SciFi of choice is now Stargate SG1, now that my sister in law gets SciFi Channel.

19. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
  20. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I think we can look at the bottom line [​IMG] Darmok was neither as blatantly ripped, nor horrendously bad, unlike tonight's Enterprise. In fact, Darmock is superb