What's new

Enterprise 05/07/2003 - Regeneration (1 Viewer)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
there are the rest who care only about getting their cheap "jollies" from one episode to the next.
Thats me. Continuity be damned (as long as its not too extreme, which I feel nothing has been). All I want is well written episodes, which I admit there hasn't been many of. I don't have time to remember what happened 5 years or so ago on other series of Star Trek. During TNG I did care, but now I just don't anymore. Just give me a good episode each week and I'll forget about it a few days after and look forward to the next week.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Don't worry Rex. They'll just have Enterprise whip 'round the sun, go back in time, and erase everyone's memory with this new invention Starfleet was keeping secret for just such an emergency.. After they borrow a Vulcan ship capable of going warp 10, of coarse..

:rolleyes

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
I think for that to be true of Enterprise, it would've had to have already attained a state which it has never yet attained: one of consistent high quality. There's nothing here to "jump", just a sad (and maddening) waste of potential and resources.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
No complaints... they didn't seem to screw up continuity at all.
I think they may have even fixed continuity. Back to the already mentioned Raven episode of Voyager. I always wondered why Seven of Nine could be a little girl and her parents are researching the Borg... Obviously years before Picard's first encounter.

Looks like maybe a few scientists didn't forget about that message those aliens sent 200 years before.

Not a bad episode. I really think that should be the last of them though.

Ric

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the "enjoyed it" camp. The continuity was worked out pretty well. It was exciting, I liked the "Thing" portion of the show. Although I too would have argued that Q really introduced the Humans to the Borg. But as someone already pointed out, that Cube that Picard first encounters courtesy of Q could have been headed to Earth already from the events of this Enterprise episode. Time travel messes with your head.

The only nitpick I have is that the Doctor heals himself too easily. I know he said his immune system was resisting. And Archer and Malcolm's Phase Pistols did seem to be quite a lot more effective here then Picard's.

Scott Bakula seems to have altered his performance now too, he's alot more confident, as per the new direction of the show.

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
Well I suppose that the whole "they'll be here in 200 years" plot could work. After all, wasn't the Borg's imminent arrival hinted at in TNG Season One finale The Neutral Zone?

But hey, whether or not it works shouldn't be the issue. If the writers could come up with new ideas we wouldn't need to worry about continuity.

Speaking of rehashing old ideas, I was watching the Voyager episode Relativity the other day, and it occurred to me that a show about a Federation Time Ship would be awesome. Set in the 29th century, the ship's mission would be to venture to different time streams and repair damage to the space-time continuum. Just think about it, the ship could go ANYWHERE & ANYWHEN! Plus it would be in the future...you know, where no one has gone before.

Come to think of it, maybe the writers should just run with my idea, and wipe out the Enterprise timeline. :D

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Will_B wrote (post #14):

This is all absolutely absurd. Check the "Q Who?" video, if you have it:
__________________________________________________ ___________________________
("Q" has sent the Enterprise flinging across distant space and it has just come out of warp.)

Scene [interior Ten Forward]:

Picard: "Bridge, this is the Captain. All stop."

Scene [interior Bridge]:

Wesley Crusher (at the helm): "Answering 'all stop', sir."

Picard: "Status."

Scene [interior Bridge]:

Data (in the Captain's chair; looks at his minidisplay): "According to these coördinates, we have travelled 7,000 light years and are located near the system J-two-five."

Riker: "Travel time to the nearest starbase."

Scene [interior Bridge]:

Data: "At maximum warp [about 9.5 for the Enterprise-D
], in two years, seven months, three days, eighteen hours we would reach Starbase 185."

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

"Q" then goes on to tell Picard and company he's done this to give them a "taste of their future". How distant a future, he doesn't say.

Well, from where I sit, the episode offers no evidence of the "direction" the Borg cube is headed. All evidence points to its going about its usual business of destroying any civilization and assimilating any advanced technology in its path. They all do that. And, when it's located 7,000 light years from the Enterprise's original position in the story (already many, many light years from Earth), there's no way to tell such a thing or to come validly to any such conclusion.

In short, the only reason to make such assumptions is (to strain) to justify the revisionism of the later Borg episodes.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Look at you all. Even the "defenders" are posting in a "yeah, but" kind of way.

We're seeing the result of throwing paint on the wall and hoping most of it sticks. The creators of this show don't think the audience cares because they don't care.

The picture quality, though, definitely is improving. I kept thinking it would look good on DVD—not that I will ever buy it.

We can see where the boys are taking us. It's only a matter of time before there's a Q episode.

Ashame about this episode, though, because the Thing (Carpenter-version) rip-off opening act worked as a good build-up to something you knew you were going to end up hating.

Note also the attempt at making Archer seem more aggressive and captain-like.

And so, let's look ahead: Given the "big picture" of the temporal cold war (which shall henceforth be typed in lower-case on my keyboard, as a gesture of respect to the show's creators), this entire series debacle could very well end with a "they-woke-up-and-it-all-turned-out-to-be-a-dream" episode

I mean, show some respect man. Not only the hardcore types are noticing this crap.

I sure hope there's a Barclay episode, however (Barclay figures out how to communicate back in time). And a Tasha Yar episode would be cool (now, just how many timelines really got screwed up during that "Yesterday's Enterprise" matter?).

Either Q or Wesley Crusher will solve the whole Universe-threatening crisis. It will all end by being tied into Star Trek V: The Final Frontier somehow.

Daniel_BR

Grip
I really enjoyed it and thought it was an entertaining episode (of course, I'm a casual Trek fan). The Borg were one of the coolest things to happen in TNG, so I'm glad to see them here regardless of how they were introduced. My wife is far more into Star Trek than me (she can actually remember the history and how events intertwine) and she enjoyed it too.

Of the half dozen or so Enterprise episodes I have seen, this was the best.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
I'm very confused by the number of people that are saying this episode didn't follow the timeline. I thought it was quite obvious that the Borg found on Earth were from the sphere the Enterprise blew up at the beginning of First Contact.

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
They were. But that they came to life and had a major incident with the Enterprise for me ruins the idea of Picard encountering the Borg for the first time. I never understand how the Hansens knew about them. Was it ever explained? I don't think just a few observant scientists would have remembered this incident. It was a big deal.

Also, they had schematics of Borg body parts. This is something scientists would have gone over and over. They also had nanoprobes, and probably in 200 years and found out just how the Borg worked. They would have been prepared for them when Q introduced them.

This is what it is - the producers bringing back the popular Borg for sweeps period, although I don't find them threatening or interesting anymore since I know exactly what they can do.

Also, these Borg were 200 years into the future Borg meaning they have all that added technology, inlcuding human technology assimilated at Wolf 359. The primitive hand phasers and other Enterprise gismos would have been no match for them.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Like Wayne said. Since Voyager came on the air and even somewhat in TNG, the routine has been: sweeps month = Borg; especially season cliffhangers. They're just using whatever device they have to bank on better viewership numbers. The Borg are tried and true.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, don't you just HATE it when they make better episodes for sweeps week?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Also, these Borg were 200 years into the future Borg meaning they have all that added technology, inlcuding human technology assimilated at Wolf 359. The primitive hand phasers and other Enterprise gismos would have been no match for them.
Would they? Disconnected from the main collective, with their transport pretty thoroughly wrecked, and left to rot for 100 years, how much would they have? Sure, Seven knew a lot, but I assumed these Borg had the Borg methods but not their knowledge base.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I remember back during Voyager when 7 of 9 joined the cast, reading about that episode in TV Guide. Basically, IIRC, they had this whole story planned that had nothing to do with the Borg that actually might have been pretty cool. They ended up completely scrapping it because it was sweeps (I believe this was actually stated by the show's creators) and throwing in as many Borg as could fit on the screen.

And thus began the "Borg crutch" that has leaked into Enterprise. Though I won't mind it if they don't use them again.

To the show's credit, the direction and performances have improved to the point where if you forget about Star Trek per say, the show can be enjoyed as an action / drama. But this is hard for some of us for whom Trek means something (as lame as that sounds), and I kind of resent that I have to force myself to forget about Trek in order to try to enjoy Enterprise.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I think they may have even fixed continuity. Back to the already mentioned Raven episode of Voyager. I always wondered why Seven of Nine could be a little girl and her parents are researching the Borg... Obviously years before Picard's first encounter.
Now that sounds like an idea for a crossover novel if I've ever heard one. :D Seriously, that has always nagged at me.

As for "Regeneration," I'm kind of with Mike; the episode was well-made, and the series still can work as an action-drama, but we shouldn't have to forget about what has gone before (er...what is to come) to enjoy the show.

Wonder what the boys from Temporal Investigations have to say about all this. :rolleyes

-------
Doc: That's all in the past.
Marty: You mean the future.
Doc: Whatever!

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
The episode was much better than the normal junk but unless Enterprise is gets reset at the end it more f*cking with the continuity.

I liked the execution per se. Although the not adapting to the Phasers on the Borg ship after the borg on the Enterprise had was weak.

What I didn't like was the whole concept. Theres lots of stuff in Trek history to be covered and they drag out the Borg again. Someone sack them please!

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
As someone that only watched the first four or five episodes of Enterprise Season One and got bored, I haven't watched Enterprise until about eight episodes ago with the Future Tense Episode, because I love the Star Trek time travel episodes. I have really started to like this series again.

I got this off of another forum, it works for me.
Spoilers
Speaking of rehashing old ideas, I was watching the Voyager episode Relativity the other day, and it occurred to me that a show about a Federation Time Ship would be awesome. Set in the 29th century, the ship's mission would be to venture to different time streams and repair damage to the space-time continuum. Just think about it, the ship could go ANYWHERE & ANYWHEN! Plus it would be in the future...you know, where no one has gone before.
Rollie, I thought the same thing a few years ago, to have a Star Trek series featuring the future Timeships like in Voyagers Futures End episodes. I'm actually surprised that wasn't the route that wasn't taken before Enterprise. Berman & Co. seemed to be setting it up in Voyager.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I have two theories on what is going to happen with this show (even though I like it). One, all three seasons, (no way it will last seven, like the others), will just be someone's dream, like they pulled-off on "Dallas"; or, two, some time-travel story is going to completely eradicate the existence of Enterprise. How else could the time-line work?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
How do we know tis has'nt effected the timeline and now Archer's Conflict was the first meeting, well technically second if you count the tng crew's adventure 90 years earler in FC. It was a movie that brought all this up so I have no problem with any of this. I'm a Die Hard Trek Geek but I'm not a Rabid Trek Geek where the slightest change means everythings ruined. Except and enjoy what you've seen in the past and what you are seeing now. Could this show be done better, you bet. But it's not the end of the world

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks