What's new

ENTERPRISE 04/02/'03: "The Crossing" (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
title: "The Crossing"
episode: #44
original airdate: April 2, 2003
writer: Rick Berman & Brannon Braga
story: Rick Berman & Brannon Braga, and Andre Bormanis
director: David Livingston
synopsis: "Noncorporeal aliens possess the bodies of the Enterprise crew."

At last, back to our weekly Trek addiction. Unfortunately, this does not sound very promising from the brief synopsis available---shades of Planet of the Vampires!---, and you-know-who is writing it.

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
Actually, this sounds like a "comfortable old shoe" TOS plot device. Might be fun if done right.

Haven't watched this show in months, but since "Ed" got moved, I might tune in.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Not bad at all. I was hoping they'd break the fast with a decent one and it didn't disappoint.

Sure, it smacks of dozens of Star Trek episodes past, and a dozen other sci-fi series. But, as I've said many times, it's inevitable.

A couple more like this and I might be able to come out of the Enterprise-lover closet :)

I shouldn't jinx it..

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I am out too.

With all the plots they are rehasing, How long until the Mirror Universe or the tribbles come back?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, DS9 already has revisited the universe of "Mirror, Mirror" as well as the Tribbles to very good effect, but, what the hey? That wouldn't be enough to keep B&B from rehashing all that yet again. I think they think their audience excels in short attention spans and low IQs. It's almost offensive.

johnbr

Stunt Coordinator
The story of this one is KILL first.Don't ask and all noncorporeal life is no good this is not star trek. :frowning:

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Sure it was a rip off of ANOTHER TNG episode, but at least it gave Phlox and Hoshi some interesting scenes. Next week the hacks in charge are ripping off Undiscovered Country....

Right down to the Klingon bashing that metal thing in judgment..

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
They said that the aliens can't survive in space, which is why they need a new ship. They didn't seem to have any trouble crossing from ship to ship after Enterprise got out of the alien ship. Were they holding their breath?

jeremy

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Next week the hacks in charge are ripping off Undiscovered Country....

Right down to the Klingon bashing that metal thing in judgment..
Is that "ripping off" or "following established continuity"? I mean, if they've already established a look and feel for the Klingon Justice System, shouldn't they be consistent? Wouldn't there be numerous complaints if they didn't?

Besides, just remind yourself that episodes setting up a conflict between Earth and Quo'nos are not episodes about the "Temporal Cold War". :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Not very good. Too by the numbers. Also, I feel it went too far in the wrong direction. It would have been more interesting if the aliens had been innocent. I mean, this show is supposed to be about exploration, but Archer keeps wanting to shoot first.

Jason

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
It would have been more interesting if the aliens had been innocent. I mean, this show is supposed to be about exploration, but Archer keeps wanting to shoot first.
I thought there was too much of a Janeway-esque bending of the plot to fit the captain's instinct, ie, Captain thinks entities are evil, there's no reason for them to believe they're evil, ergo, they're evil.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
It would have been more interesting if the aliens had been innocent
Agreed. It would have been just the right amount of spin to make up for the blatent rehash of "Power Play".

That's all were asking for, B&B!! If your going to rip something off, at least give it a bit of a spin, plot-wise. NOT effects-wise, plot-wise. Say it with me..

But all in all I thought it could have been alot worse.. Knock on wood!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
They could have created some sense of forboding by saying they were entering a part of space that appeared to be utterly lifeless. I mean how the heck will they explain that next week they encounter another ship or two or three when this week they met a ship that had been searching fruitlessly for corporeal life forms?

Also, one needs to ignore that the little swirls could have simply waited a few seconds, until everyone revived, and then gone right back in.

Who is this show aimed at...it seems like it is only trying to be about as realistic as The Muppet Show.

Still, it was a nice episode, a perfectly ordinary, nice episode. Better than weeks of repeats anyhow.

I suspect that watching this show as a box set on DVD will be much more rewarding.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Not a bad episode, but nothing to write home about, either. I'm not going to get too hung up on the similarities to "Power Play". There are only so many story permutations to play around with in commercial Hollywood productions. The trick is the "spin" one puts on the story.

I will say this: the CGI is looking better and better all the time. Most of it here looks better than some of the stuff I saw in Nemesis.

Mark Turetsky wrote (post #16):

I missed a minute or two right after T'Pol had been "invaded", the explanation of what the aliens wanted, etc.

Let me see. My global problem with the episode was, how do "incorporeal beings" get to run a very big, quite complex "corporeal" ship??? Are they supposed to have taken it over from corporeal beings, and, if so, where are those beings at the time of the happenings in this episode? If the latter exist no more, how is the giant ship run and why do the wills-of-the wisp need a new one? Were any of these questions answered?

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yeah I never quite understood why incoporeal beings needed a physical starship, or why that particular element (unobtanium?) prevented then from entering that catwalk.

Did anyone else notice that Jolene Blaylock's tan lines were showing in that scene with "Malcolm"? A little bit of a screwup on the director's part.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks